Tue, Oct 1, 5:02 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: Material zones

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 03 October 2010 at 7:03 PM · edited Fri, 27 September 2024 at 2:27 AM
Site Admin

As I was making some clothing, I started wondering. Do people prefer clothes or props that have one material zone, or have several zones, one for each section (like one for the ruffle, one for the bow, one for the skirt, the bodice, etc)? 

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 03 October 2010 at 7:09 PM

I prefer models to have several material zones. 

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 03 October 2010 at 7:10 PM

Ditto.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sun, 03 October 2010 at 7:13 PM

I prefer multiple zones as well... it adds a lot of flexibility for those of us who like to muck around with different textures and so forth.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

ockham ( ) posted Sun, 03 October 2010 at 7:46 PM

Ditto.  More zones makes it possible for each image map or
shader to be simpler, thus easier to understand and modify.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

DarkEdge ( ) posted Sun, 03 October 2010 at 8:26 PM

Invariably whenever I create too few material zones I end up adding more...can never have too may really. 😄

Comitted to excellence through art.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 03 October 2010 at 8:36 PM · edited Sun, 03 October 2010 at 8:37 PM

What everyone else said ;o).

I try to think ahead as to what one might be able do if there were a separate material zone in a certain place or problems that might be caused if there wasn't one :o).

Laurie

acrionx ( ) posted Sun, 03 October 2010 at 8:55 PM
SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 03 October 2010 at 9:59 PM

It's possible to go OTT with them, though, as I found out with one of my Dalek models (although it's not one I've released as a freebie).   SanctumArt tends to put too many zones in his models, too.  It makes changing anything a real pain in the hind end.

My Store

My Gallery

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 04 October 2010 at 3:47 PM · edited Mon, 04 October 2010 at 3:47 PM

Then that's where BB's VSS comes into play.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 04 October 2010 at 3:57 PM

Quote - Then that's where BB's VSS comes into play.

Which is great if you want a realistic skin shader on a set of powered armour, I guess.  :D

My Store

My Gallery

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 04 October 2010 at 7:17 PM
Site Admin

Thanks all. I was thinking the same thing, but wanted to make sure I wasn't in the minority with my opinion. If I'm making stuff for others to use I want it to be pleasant for them.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

IsaoShi ( ) posted Tue, 05 October 2010 at 9:11 AM

Quote - > Quote - Then that's where BB's VSS comes into play.

Which is great if you want a realistic skin shader on a set of powered armour, I guess.  :D

Huh? You can use VSS with any type of figure/prop and any type of shader - it's not just for human skin.

Or was my joke detector turned off?... Let me just check on that ... :O)

"If I were a shadow, I know I wouldn't like to be half of what I should be."
Mr Otsuka, the old black tomcat in Kafka on the Shore (Haruki Murakami)

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 05 October 2010 at 2:20 PM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - Then that's where BB's VSS comes into play.

Huh? You can use VSS with any type of figure/prop and any type of shader - it's not just for human skin.

Or was my joke detector turned off?... Let me just check on that ... :O)

Nup.  Was a smartass but ultimately serious response.  I thought the way VSS worked was to construct a shader to work with skin and any other human type bits and pieces.  I wasn't aware of another use.

My Store

My Gallery

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 05 October 2010 at 3:47 PM

VSS copies shader templates from a control prop to any other props or figures.

The shaders it copies are loaded by you or me. They can be anything.

I supply (for free) a set of shaders for humans. I always planned to supply others in the pay version but never got around to it. I'm so busy with work I never get around to any of my intended commercial Poser thingies.

I'm trying to correct that, but it's very difficult for me.  Meanwhile, I've been releasing free shaders just to stay in the game. Shaders that I had planned to charge for but have no time to finish to a level I feel justifies charging. Recent free shaders I've posted (various glass, metal, nylon, and others) were intended to be commercial.

Before I do anything commercial, I really need to get back on the Luxpose project. I have no time. Grrrrr.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 05 October 2010 at 5:20 PM

Thanks for the heads up, BB.  I probably did know about the function but forgot somewhere along the way.  

I hope you get some free time, mate.  Your shaders would be a sure fire commercial hit. 

My Store

My Gallery

WandW ( ) posted Wed, 06 October 2010 at 2:58 PM

I once imported a car model that was in 3ds format.  It had about 200 material zones, all designated by number.  I played with it a while, and got the glass transparent, but I gave up diving what the rest were......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

BionicRooster ( ) posted Wed, 06 October 2010 at 3:58 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote - I once imported a car model that was in 3ds format.  It had about 200 material zones, all designated by number.  I played with it a while, and got the glass transparent, but I gave up diving what the rest were......

That would be a rather easy fix. Import model into Wings, then you could see what is where, and combine some that can be combined, etc.

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.