Mon, Sep 9, 7:13 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: OT : For Dalek fans

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 5:12 AM · edited Thu, 05 September 2024 at 9:17 PM

Just read in the paper that the BBC have dropped the much hated new style telletubby Dalek.

After fans complained bitterly, they will bring back the old style Dalek and consign the new ones to the rubbish bin :)  Personally I hope they weave the destruction of the new models into a suitable story, possibly one where they are destroyed because they couldnt get their fat backsides through an emergency exit.

Good news for Dr Who fans :)

John

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

KyReb ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 11:39 AM · edited Wed, 20 October 2010 at 11:51 AM

I must be the only Doctor Who fan that didnt mind the new Daleks. Wasnt enthused about them but didn't mind them.

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 11:55 AM

where was this?

the word from the Moff (Moffat) was, the RTD Golds will be the main Dalek's and the new Paradigm ones will be the Officers and Leaders.. wondering now if that's changed...

Airport security is a burden we must all shoulder. Do your part, and please grope yourself in advance.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 1:12 PM

That's great news.  I heard a similar story to the one Magnus mentioned but if they are getting rid of the new ones, so much the better.

If they're looking for some variations on the classic themes, they can always contact me or Mechmaster.  We'll see 'em right.  For a fee, of course.  :biggrin: 

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Cage ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 1:20 PM

I'd read what MagnusGreel relates, above.  I was actually kind of bummed about it.  I was just starting to like the new design.  :unsure:

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 4:59 PM

Quote - where was this?

the word from the Moff (Moffat) was, the RTD Golds will be the main Dalek's and the new Paradigm ones will be the Officers and Leaders.. wondering now if that's changed...

Was in one of todays Newspapers, can't remember which, was my colleagues.  It did have a red top though :)

John

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 5:04 PM

Quote - where was this?

Couldnt find the actual story :) but did find this

http://www.denofgeek.com/television/640125/doctor_who_have_the_new_daleks_been_dumped.html

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 5:05 PM
MagnusGreel ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 5:11 PM · edited Wed, 20 October 2010 at 5:12 PM

only 2 problems.

1: it's the sun. sorry but that "paper" is not counted as the Weekly World News only because it's got a different name. (you may guess I hold that publication in extreme contempt)

and 2: to quote Moffat himself *"The fact is, we're not going to lose the old Daleks. We're keeping them. They're coming back. We'll just use them all at once, and have different ranks. All I've done is give the Daleks an officer class."

tho if you want to clarify what's correct... http://twitter.com/steven_moffat (yup it's really him) you can ask...

Airport security is a burden we must all shoulder. Do your part, and please grope yourself in advance.

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 5:22 PM

Well I just got all excited :) I realise the source is not always errrr right, hopefully someone from the Dr Who team will come out and confirm or deny :)

I personally dont like the new daleks, there is just something about them that doesn't quite fit.  I wanted to like em, but I just couldn't get the though of them as the Dalek version of the Ford Ka or the Smart car thing.

John.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 5:45 PM

Fact is, whether or not they keep them, Moffat has done a u turn, since, back when they were launched, he said something along the lines of, "Everything changes and so do the Daleks.  These are the new ones and people will get used to them."

Also, there's the matter of the different "ranks", since the new ones featured a "Drone" (the red one).  How can a drone now be an "officer class" Dalek?  Also, the recent game promoted them as being the only Dalek type.

Seems to me Mr Moffat is doing a bit of face saving.

For the record, the concept sketches and the locked design drawings are much, much better than the finished articles. 

My Store

My Gallery

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 5:50 PM

ach he listened. better than we've had before glares at Nathan-Turner and RTD

so let him mix 'em up. for all we know Dalian(? Skaran? what is the native tongue of a Dalek?)  for Drone may translate properly as "unstoppable warmachine" or "He who gets the Sacred Tea but thats all he does"

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 5:51 PM

Oh yeah, in the Sun feature they kept referring to the Classic Daleks but I presume they meant the Mk7/ NSD/2005/RTD Bronze models, which most Dalek enthusiasts don't regard as Classics.  Classics are any of the Mk 1 to Mk 4 Daleks and perhaps the Necros and Imperial versions.   FYI, a Mk 4 was shown in the feature as an example.

OTOH, it would be great if there's a new build of some of the older versions.  I'd love to see the Mk4s in Genesis livery again.

My Store

My Gallery

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 5:55 PM

of course the other reason could be money.

with the tories putting the squeeze on the country and meddling with the BBC (why do they always want to do that?) he may have been denied the funds to make more iDaleks and only have the ones he has.. but he does have several RTD's handy so......

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 6:15 PM

Dunno about that.  Given the overall success of the show here and overseas, their budget may be a little better than for many other shows.

Did you know "Doctor Who", as a complete franchise, is the biggest money spinner the Beeb have ever made?  It was so even before the 2005 comeback.  True, the Beeb didn't like the show from the get go, but money talks. 

My Store

My Gallery

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 6:19 PM

except the budget for the last season was infact cut from the season before....

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 6:44 PM

That's true.  They may well have revised it, in view of the renewed popularity in North America.

Back to topic, If Moffat has listened and acted on public reaction, good on him.  Not often that happens, as you remarked.  Although, I never had a problem with RTD's treatment of the show. 

My Store

My Gallery

DarrenUK ( ) posted Fri, 22 October 2010 at 6:44 AM

The new Doctor Who magazine says that the new ones were just like an officer class. Supposedly one of  the reasons for the new design was an excuse to make more Daleks. There were only two of the RTD ones in good nick. The others were probably destroyed at the end of season four. Now, at least the Moff has a valid argument to use licence payers money to create more RTD style ones.
I also liked the new ones. You need variation. As much as I liked the RTD ones they were a bit over used, and became less scary, as we had seen the Doctor defeat them on many occasions. Plus it was RTD that had stated that his Daleks were not pure Daleks. You can't blame the Moff for that, the story has to move on from The Time War etc.

Daz Studio 4.8 and 4.9beta, Blender 2.78, Sketchup, Poser Pro 2014 Game Dev SR5 on Windows 8 Pro x64. Poser Display Units are inches

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 22 October 2010 at 7:02 AM

True, some of them weren't pure but you could argue the first one seen was, also the Cult of Skaro bunch.  As for the Crucible mob, you can't get much purer than DNA from Davros himself.  

Anyhow, I'm all for new designs and more Daleks, just not the NPDs which threw the style guide out the window.  At least the other designs have always stayed faithful to Cusick's basic outline.  Here's hoping any subsequent versions do so. 

My Store

My Gallery

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.