Wed, Sep 18, 11:23 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: trouble finding target geometry

santicor ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2010 at 8:36 PM · edited Wed, 04 September 2024 at 10:00 AM

HI ....so  I have been bringing OBJs into P7 and turning them into figures and I cannot find where the target  geometry for the CR2 is getting saved in my runtime.

I have checked in  Poser_Runtime_Geometries  and no OBJ (or OBZ or whatever) named  like the figure,  or the original  OBJ, is there.

(The OBJs  are coming in  from  a folder outside of my runtime, BTW)

Can  someone help me understand where I might be able to  look  for the target  geomteries  that  go  with the  CR2s  ???

Thanks

"When you have to shoot ...

SHOOT.

Don't talk "

- Tuco

Santicor's Gallery:

http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=3&userid=580115

santicor ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2010 at 8:42 PM

Oh  I am  a jackass -  they are in  the character folder with the  CR2.

oops sorry to  have bothered anyone.

SHOOT.

Don't talk "

- Tuco

Santicor's Gallery:

DarkEdge ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2010 at 8:52 PM

You're no jackass. Most would think to look in the geometries folder for obj's, Poser saves to the Libraries:Character folder. If for some reason Poser borks your obj file or you would just rather have obj's in the geo folder, just edit the cr2 line.

Presto chango. 😉

Comitted to excellence through art.

lesbentley ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2010 at 8:56 PM

If you are using the Hierarchy Editor to create the figure, the obj geometry will initally be saved interlally in the cr2 as 'geomCustom' (internal geometry). If you then load the new figure in Poser and save it back to a palette, Poser will write an external obj, and place it in the same folder as the cr2 you saved.

If you want, you can move the obj file under the geometries folder, and edit the cr2 to reflect th new location of the obj. There are two lines in the cr2 that you need to edit, both begin with the word "figureResFile". The rest of those lines is the path to the obj file, using ":" as a seperator.

santicor ( ) posted Tue, 02 November 2010 at 9:00 AM

Thanks to you  both.

I wonder why  , then,  a GEOMETRIES folder even  exists in the first place?

SHOOT.

Don't talk "

- Tuco

Santicor's Gallery:

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Tue, 02 November 2010 at 9:02 AM

Because it is supposed to be used and was used until about Poser 5-6 when the owners of the company decided to group them together so it would break if people moved it. It is still used by a number of companines and vendors.

slinger ( ) posted Tue, 02 November 2010 at 9:34 AM

A simple way of finding out where your .obj file is stashed is to open up your .cr2 file in Wordpad or something similar.  Right at the top you should see a line like...

figureResFile :Runtime:Geometries:Anton'sApolloMaximus:ApolloMaximus2005.obj

...which gives the path that the figure will look for to find it's geometry file.

You can also edit this line if you prefer to move the .obj file to a folder of your choice.  Be warned though, there are TWO referenced to this path in a .cr2 file.  It's an easy enough job to "search" for the second one though and adjust it accordingly.

The liver is evil - It must be punished.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Wed, 03 November 2010 at 4:31 AM · edited Wed, 03 November 2010 at 4:33 AM

"Because it is supposed to be used and was used until about Poser 5-6 when the owners of the company decided to group them together so it would break if people moved it. It is still used by a number of companines and vendors."

It gives you a lot more flexibility IMO. If you have multiple characters all using the same .obj file, you're free to place them wherever you want. We now have V4, A4, G4 S4 (K4?) all using the same geometry AFAIK. You don't necessarily want to put all those .cr2s and their variants, in the same folder with the .obj. It's similar to windows putting .dlls used by multiple programs in one central location. If you have a .cr2(s)/.obj set that's "unique," putting them in the same folder makes some sense.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.