Mon, Jul 8, 4:04 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 07 9:32 pm)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Animation: Negative density.

drawbridgep ( ) posted Sun, 14 November 2010 at 1:07 PM · edited Tue, 25 June 2024 at 6:01 PM

file_461622.jpeg

OK my little animation gurus,  I am making an animation that includes an anchored mine.  The chain links will have a positive density so will try and drag the mine down.   But the mine itself will have a negative density and more than counteract the pull of the chain.   Still with me?  

"Why bother with density" I hear you cry, well I want to add a flow force showing the current and want the chain and mine to act realistically. 

I can make the directional force go up rather than down, indicating the effect of the water, but then the chain wants to go up as well as the mine.    So, my question is:

How do I have two directional forces and apply objects to one or the other?

Or

How do I set certain objects to have a negative density ( I can't seem to do it with density)

Or

How should I be doing this?

A side question.   Why do my chains always break?!  How do I stop that?  Am I setting the force too strong (default) or the material too dense (metal)?

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

drawbridgep ( ) posted Sun, 14 November 2010 at 2:12 PM

Attached Link: Animation

Heres a short clip to show both problem.   Chain wanting to float and the chain breaking.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

Xerxes0002 ( ) posted Sun, 14 November 2010 at 5:22 PM

Not that I have an answer but You tube says the video is private.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Mon, 15 November 2010 at 7:42 PM

Would flipping it upside down give the look your looking for? Render as image sequence and then flip the images back, right side up?

drawbridgep ( ) posted Mon, 15 November 2010 at 7:54 PM

Nah, not really since I still want the chain links to be pulled by gravity one way and the mine itself the other.  Flipping it just reverses the problem.

Besides in Carrara I can change the direction of force and avoid having to flip.   But I need two direction of forces on different parts of the model.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

nruddock ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2010 at 3:02 AM

Quote - Besides in Carrara I can change the direction of force and avoid having to flip.   But I need two direction of forces on different parts of the model.

It sounds like you're running into a limitation of the physics engine, i.e. you can't setup things up to deal with buoyancy.
If there's no way to specify a medium other than what is effectively air or vacuum, e.g. water as required in this case, then finding a way to apply an appropriate force to just the mine would seem to be the solution.

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2010 at 9:52 PM

Can you group forces?

drawbridgep ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2010 at 9:56 PM

I got some help over on the DAZ forum.  You can set forces to only affect certain objects.  So I have one going up and assigned the mine to it and one going down and assigned everything else to that.   Problem solved.  I'm rendering now and will post in a bit.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

drawbridgep ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2010 at 10:08 PM

Attached Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ls8K6zNLIA

Here's the animation test.  This show the mine wanting to head to the surface, but the chain pulling down.  

Can't remember why I wanted to do this now.  I'm sure it was important.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

heddheld ( ) posted Tue, 23 November 2010 at 3:33 AM

not sure if this is your problem with the chain, but when I had chains break it was because the links was touching before the sim started

as for your tower ! did you turn bounce to very low (off even) that solved my fly apart wall

drawbridgep ( ) posted Tue, 23 November 2010 at 7:25 AM

I'll give that a go.  thanks.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.