Wed, Sep 18, 7:50 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Poser 8 for $99.99

WandW ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2010 at 7:08 AM · edited Sat, 07 September 2024 at 2:25 PM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

josterD ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2010 at 7:35 AM

Wel it's not really 99.99 when you have to buy extra clothes and characters.

I've always said it. 3D programs are never free or cheap. You always end up buying more cause they come with nothing(Useful).

The only people who would want Poser as it is..is traditional artists who would use it for Posing reference thus use the included manequin figures or the basic included human figure.

But if i were a traditional artist, i would rather have a real wooden manequin instead of buy software.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2010 at 7:41 AM

Are you high on pain meds? I just added it to cart and it was $99 - there was no requirement to buy anything else.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

mamba-negra ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2010 at 7:45 AM

well, she did post here in the poser forum, which is likely inhabited by poser users...so, it might not be so outrageously expensive to upgrade to.

Is there an upgrade pricing too? I'm initerested in that...I wonder why I didn't get that email? I usually get those offers.

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2010 at 8:09 AM

Seems to be a somewhat outrageous statement for someone frequenting the Poser forum :)

I believe that the original purpose for Poser, as a resource for traditional artists has somewhat expanded since then.  Being a traditional artist type myself I still feel that it is usefull in that capacity, the old wodden doll can only go so far.

I think $99 is something of a steal for P8, knowing how much I spent on it and then the subsequent upgrade to ppro2010.

John

Quote - Wel it's not really 99.99 when you have to buy extra clothes and characters.

I've always said it. 3D programs are never free or cheap. You always end up buying more cause they come with nothing(Useful).

The only people who would want Poser as it is..is traditional artists who would use it for Posing reference thus use the included manequin figures or the basic included human figure.

But if i were a traditional artist, i would rather have a real wooden manequin instead of buy software.

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

WandW ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2010 at 10:32 AM

Remember, The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction to reminding others not to respond to trolls...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2010 at 10:43 AM

P8 is a massive step up from P7, anybody still on an older version really should think about P8.  Even if you don't use Indirect Lighting/GI, render speed is much much better for multi-core computers, and the conformer scaling bugs are fixed.  Several other big improvements besides those.

My Freebies

lkendall ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2010 at 11:05 AM · edited Wed, 17 November 2010 at 11:09 AM

I got Poser 5 for free, and upgraded to Poser 6, upgraded to Poser 7, sidegraded to PoserPro Basic, upgraded to Poser 8, and sidegraded to PoserPro 2010. Each version had improvements.

Poser 8 was able to render scenes that would not render in PoserPro Basic, and was much faster than Poser 7/PoserPro Basic.

If one may have need for an extra license for Poser 8,  $99.00 is very reasonable.

For those who have never owned Poser,  Poser 8 comes with almost all of the legacy content from previous versions of Poser, and there are numerous sites (as well as here at Renderosity) that have plenty of free Poser content. Even the current DAZ 3D base figures are free.

Dr. Geep has great tutorials about using Poser to make content. There are several free modeling programs that can be used to make content, and there are people here who use those programs to help a new person get started.

Gimp is a free 2D graphics program that I use all the time to alter or make textures. There are some free UV mappers available. Tutorials abound at many sites to teach all kinds of techniques in using Poser. This forum is a valuble source of information with very helpful people.

Anyone who does not already have a large library of Poser content should not be afraid of buying Poser and having no content to get started with. If you CAN spend some extra money, most of the stores are full of sales items from now until Christmas.

LMK

Probably edited for spelling, grammer, punctuation, or typos.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.