Wed, Oct 2, 9:41 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: WIP: Building the Steamship SS Leah for my Emberglow series

dphoadley ( ) posted Mon, 22 November 2010 at 4:20 AM · edited Sat, 20 July 2024 at 2:27 AM

file_461968.jpg

I'm presently building in 3ds Max a Side-wheeler Steamship for my emberglow graphic Novel series.  The ship is what takes the two lovers to their initial tryst in the guesthous on the coast of Normandie. My ship is being loosely modeled after the [***SS Beaver***](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Beaver), that was launched in 1835.

the model will be eventuallyin my store, and fully articulated for animation in Poser.

dph

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

dphoadley ( ) posted Mon, 22 November 2010 at 4:26 AM

file_461972.jpg

Here's a side view of the model, as it is at present.  When finished the wheels will rotate, and the rudder will turn from side to side.

dph

dphoadley ( ) posted Mon, 22 November 2010 at 4:33 AM

file_461973.jpg

Three quarter view, both coming and going.

dph

dphoadley ( ) posted Mon, 22 November 2010 at 4:36 AM

file_461974.jpg

The steering wheel assembly will be added to it in time

dph

dphoadley ( ) posted Mon, 22 November 2010 at 4:39 AM

file_461975.jpg

And so will this articulated windlass I made, at the bow of the ship.

dph

Seaview123 ( ) posted Mon, 22 November 2010 at 10:07 AM

This looks really cool so far, David! Excellent model work!

dphoadley ( ) posted Mon, 22 November 2010 at 12:40 PM

file_461982.jpg

Tha

nk you for your kind words, Seaview123.  They are especially meaningful coming from an ex-Navy man.  Can't guarantee that all the details are absoulutely authentic, or comply to strict realism.  My aim here though, is not so much realism, as a convincing verisimultude for my scenes in where teh lovers must cross theEnglish Channel, (or the La Manche cahnnel if your French).

Here I'm now modeling the main Saloon.  I made the deck of theSaloon to be lower than the main deck, so as to maintain headroom for the 1st class passengers, while not having a 'roof' too high to completely obscure the view of the Helmsman.

dph

Apple_UK ( ) posted Mon, 22 November 2010 at 4:10 PM

DPH: your search for verrisimilitide (Popper: of clouds and clocks) is admirable. I really do applaude you for it it (Unlike your split infinitives :)) But make it free. Make your model free then I will stand by you (Shoulder to shoulder (TB to GB)

dphoadley ( ) posted Tue, 23 November 2010 at 7:55 AM · edited Tue, 23 November 2010 at 7:57 AM

file_462007.jpg

the stack above the engineroom is now installed.  The faint lines are the 4 guy wires that stabilize teh stack.

dph

dphoadley ( ) posted Tue, 23 November 2010 at 11:18 AM
dphoadley ( ) posted Wed, 24 November 2010 at 1:45 PM

file_462065.jpg

Installed a roof and ladder to the Main Deck's Saloon.

dPH

dphoadley ( ) posted Wed, 24 November 2010 at 1:49 PM

file_462066.jpg

Also fitted hinged Brass Porthole covers over the Portholes.  These will articulate open and close on the final model, as will the Saloon Hatch (Door).

dph

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.