Wed, Sep 18, 2:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Poser 8 wxpython error

ninhalo5 ( ) posted Tue, 30 November 2010 at 2:18 PM · edited Wed, 18 September 2024 at 8:44 AM

Hi, as like several others I've just upgraded to Poser 8 with the Blackfriday special and received an error as well. My error seems different and I can't seem to find any posts on it yet.

This is what I get anytime I launch Poser: Error importing the wxpython api

That error showed up before I installed the sr3 update and still does.

I'm not sure if it matters or not but I do have Python2.6 installed to work with Blender.

Any ideas?

Thanks

PhilC ( ) posted Tue, 30 November 2010 at 3:31 PM

My best guess is to ensure that you have installed, and are running, Poser as the administrator. I know with some of my scripts Python import functions fail if that is not the case.

ninhalo5 ( ) posted Tue, 30 November 2010 at 4:02 PM

I gave that a try Phil, it still gave me the error.

It appears that only the scripts under Utility work, everything else does nothing.

Possibly I'll have to reinstall under admin mode, better yet install in Linux and once again say heck with windows :)

markschum ( ) posted Tue, 30 November 2010 at 6:10 PM

what operating system. In vista I had to set poser.exe to run as admin for everything to work.

ninhalo5 ( ) posted Tue, 30 November 2010 at 7:17 PM

I'm running vista as well.

markschum ( ) posted Wed, 01 December 2010 at 10:16 PM

try right click on poser.exe and set to run as administrator, then see if you still have a problem.

ninhalo5 ( ) posted Fri, 03 December 2010 at 6:45 AM

Quote - try right click on poser.exe and set to run as administrator, then see if you still have a problem.

The problem still remains, I even uninstalled then reinstalled as an admin tried installing with the default content path, then reloaded the program as an admin and it still shows up. Starting to wonder being I only paid $52 for the Black Friday upgrade SM sent me a $52 not fully working version :)

Thanks for the ideas everyone. Seems like I'll have to take this one up with SM.

nruddock ( ) posted Fri, 03 December 2010 at 1:25 PM

Quote - Starting to wonder being I only paid $52 for the Black Friday upgrade SM sent me a $52 not fully working version :)

You've got the full version. What might throw some light on the problem is to open a Python Shell window and type :-

import wx

and post what message gets printed.

ninhalo5 ( ) posted Fri, 03 December 2010 at 2:01 PM

Thanks, but the Python shell window won't even open.

Guess I need to do some more digging, I tied installing it on my laptop and had no problems. SM said that the python already installed should'nt affect it but I might try to uninstall it just to make sure. and to try rebooting windoze in diagnostic mode  and  see what happens

Asuyuka ( ) posted Fri, 03 December 2010 at 3:21 PM

I had some issues with Python, same error message, Windows 7.  Using import wx on the Python command line shell got me this:

Python 2.6.2 (r262:71605, Apr 14 2009, 22:46:50) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)] on
win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.

import wx
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "", line 1, in
ImportError: No module named wx

ninhalo5 ( ) posted Fri, 03 December 2010 at 3:47 PM

Update: I just removed both packages of Python from my computer x64 and x86 and Poser 8 loaded up as it should. I guess Python 2.6 was overriding something to keep Posers' Python version 2.4 from loading. I'm about to reinstall Python 2.6 and see what happens. I'll post back on my findings.

ninhalo5 ( ) posted Fri, 03 December 2010 at 4:00 PM

OK, i just reinstalled and uninstalled both Python 2.6.4(x86) and 2.6.6 (x64) both of them block out Posers' Python. And again as before once I've uninstalled Python from the system poser started running normal.

Guess if SM does not have a fix for this I'll be returning Poser8.

ninhalo5 ( ) posted Fri, 03 December 2010 at 5:28 PM

Here is the reply I received from SM... I've looked over the link they provided and cannot make heads or tails of it... any ideas anyone?

This has to do wth the Python Environment Variable. Here is a link with more details.

http://docs.python.org/using/windows.html

You need to set the Preference to the 2.4 Version. You should be able to have multiple variables set. I was told the issue is Blender Installer sets the Global Environment Variable for Python to the version it installs. If the ENV has multiple entries, try switching 2.4 to the front.

Let me know if you have any questions. I am downloading Blender now to see if there are any settings in Blender to allow you to resolve this from there.

nruddock ( ) posted Fri, 03 December 2010 at 5:55 PM · edited Fri, 03 December 2010 at 6:02 PM

If you do have environment variables referring to the Python Blender uses, then the simplest solution is to create a batch file for launching Blender, add the relevant SET commands for the env variables and then remove them from the global environment.

Which version of Blender are you using (I'm guessing 2.49 as that uses Python 2.6) ?
Perhaps more importantly, are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version ?
If you're using the 32-bit version, are you using the installer or the ZIP ?

ninhalo5 ( ) posted Fri, 03 December 2010 at 5:59 PM

Quote - If you do have environment variables referring to the Python Blender uses, then the simplest solution is to create a batch file for launching Blender, add the relevant SET commands for the env variables and then remove them from the global environment.

That went way above my head, anything going past double clicking is beyond me. Is there a tutorial somewhere for me to try to follow?

Thanks

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.