Mon, Oct 21, 11:42 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 3:28 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Wishlists: Don't You hate it when...

KageRyu ( ) posted Fri, 17 December 2010 at 11:03 PM · edited Fri, 18 October 2024 at 6:23 PM

You have something on your wishlist, and/or you have a long wishlist like me, and you keep putting it off because it's not the right time (the stars aren't aligned, your bank accounts empty, you really should pay some of your bills this month, some other shiny thing catches your eye, Cthulhu ate your checkbook, etc...).  Then, one day, you have the money and go to purchase that item and either get lead to a no such item page (daz3D), or find it has dissapeared entirely from your wishlist?  The thing is, it was an item you had a use for in one of your projects, maybe a unique item, or something ofbeat, and there really aren't any good substitutes. So you mope around and keep beating yourself up over not buying it sooner ("If only I'd known I'd have bought it last month!").

I realize there are lots of reasons for vendors to clear out their old items, drop them from sale, stop supporting them. It is their right, and I really can't fault them. But wouldn't it be nice if when a vendor does decide to discontinue an item, the website would put a probationary hold on it and notify people who have it in their wishlist that it is about to be discontinued - say an email to give them 48 hours, or even 24 hours, one last chance to pick it up? I think it would be nice. After all, it can't be much harder than all the email notices for "an Item in your wishlist is currently onsale" right?

There are a few items, here and at Daz3d, that had I known were being discontinued, I'd have juggled other purchases and picked them up instead (a few of Stonemason's Urban sets come to mind).

Just my thoughts.

The New HD Toaster from Wamco toasts bread more evenly and acurately than Standard Toasters. Take advantage of the FULL resolution of your bread and try one today, because if your toast isn't in High Definition, you are not getting the most of your toast!

-Jordi- ( ) posted Sat, 18 December 2010 at 5:26 AM

Some items also enter clearance because no one buys them, or a vendor moves them to another site because they think no one will buy them. Also, one can't know who has it in their wishlist, so can't notify.

If you have something in your wish list a lot of time, maybe it's time to buy it, and don't wait too much.

KageRyu ( ) posted Sat, 18 December 2010 at 5:31 AM · edited Sat, 18 December 2010 at 5:38 AM

Quote - If you have something in your wish list a lot of time, maybe it's time to buy it, and don't wait too much.

I wish I had infinite money, but that's just not the case. I have very finite resources, and have to pick and choose what to purchase and when. It's not as simple as "just buy it" most of the time.  Obviously renderosity's market software does keep track of wishlists, otherwise I wouldn't keep getting notices that items in my wishlist are going on sale. Also I have seen some items in the marketplace sit on clearance for years, and other items dissapear without ever going on clearance. Further, Daz3D does not really have a clearance notice, and items often just dissapear.

I'm just saying I wish I would have known on some of the ones I've had in my wishlists over the past year, as I would have probably passed on other things that were project specific for things that were being discontinued right then (as I did when I found out a lot of Aery Soul's M3/V3 stuff was being discontinued - advanced notice of it's removal from marketplace prompted me to purchase it).

The New HD Toaster from Wamco toasts bread more evenly and acurately than Standard Toasters. Take advantage of the FULL resolution of your bread and try one today, because if your toast isn't in High Definition, you are not getting the most of your toast!

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Sat, 18 December 2010 at 6:46 AM · edited Sat, 18 December 2010 at 6:49 AM

This does(On the surface) sound like a pretty good feature, but I can see how someone might try to manipulate it to their advantage.

Rosity (Or DAZ) would probably have to have the merchant sign an agreement that they will remove said product from the store after a given time.
Lets say a merchant says "I'm gunna remove this item that is not selling very well".

Then...a notification is deployed to all who have that item on their wishlist...It then generates a bunch of sales for the vendor and he/she then says..."Well...maybe I'll just leave it in the store".
Who's to say that the"Get It Before it's Gone For Good"  knudge, might have been planned from the beginning, just to manipulate Rosity (Or DAZ) into reaching out to all those who had the items on their wishlist's...with no intent to remove the item in the first place....Just a Promo for an item that's not selling well.

Or what if they remove it, then just change a few things on the item, then repackage it as an entirely new item. (but hey...they still got those last few sales out of it).

Or... what if they "Do" remove it...then just relase it at another site...That would probably be out of Rosity's control to do anything about.

I would imagine some agreements would have to be made between the Vendor and the Broker...some of which may not even be enforcable.

Okay...Enough Devils Advocate...lol.

Tom

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

KageRyu ( ) posted Sat, 18 December 2010 at 7:06 AM

Quote - Rosity (Or DAZ) would probably have to have the merchant sign an agreement that they will remove said product from the store after a given time.
Lets say a merchant says "I'm gunna remove this item that is not selling very well".

Then...a notification is deployed to all who have that item on their wishlist...It then generates a bunch of sales for the vendor and he/she then says..."Well...maybe I'll just leave it in the store".
Who's to say that the"Get It Before it's Gone For Good"  knudge, might have been planned from the beginning, just to manipulate Rosity (Or DAZ) into reaching out to all those who had the items on their wishlist's...with no intent to remove the item in the first place....Just a Promo for an item that's not selling well. Or what if they remove it, then just change a few things on the item, then repackage it as an entirely new item. (but hey...they still got those last few sales out of it).

Or... what if they "Do" remove it...then just relase it at another site...That would probably be out of Rosity's control to do anything about.

I would imagine some agreements would have to be made between the Vendor and the Broker...some of which may not even be enforcable.

Yes I agree that it is possible to lead to abuse in the way you describe. The way I envisioned it would be something like when a vendor removes the item, it is taken out of his control and placed in a deletion queue - people who have it on a wishlist are notified could be notified by script much the same way as for sales that it is being discontinued, and may have one last chance to get it. After X time it is no longer available, it is automaticly deleted from the queue and from the marketplace, and the vendor can not decide to "opt out" of it as he already selected to discontinue.  Even in that way it could still lead to potential abuse, but nothing is completely foolproof from potential abuses. I was in fact worried this was what Aery Soul was doing at the  time, and buyers would have to make a calculated risk. Obviously a vendor that does engage in such practices would find the community turn against him for it.

I also know there are many items listed on Rednderosity that also appear on one or more other websites. I even recently found some I tems I had purchased at Renderosity at a greatly reduced price on another site (I was not happy about that).

I floated the idea because there have been items that just up and ceased to be that I wished I had known and had one last chance to get them.  Some of them never went to clearance status. I am sure something similar has happened to many people.

Lucie ( ) posted Sat, 18 December 2010 at 7:43 AM

Products don't always go in clearance when they don't sell for an extended period of time, during upload vendors can opt for having the product removed from the store instead of moved to clearance if it doesn't sell here.

Maybe when this happens you could contact the vendor and ask him/her if the product in question is still available elsewhere?

I like your idea though, it's true it's annoying a bit to decide to buy something you've been wanting and find out it's no longer there.

Lucie
finfond.net
finfond.net (store)

-Jordi- ( ) posted Sat, 18 December 2010 at 8:29 AM

Why not another solution?

For example, I would love that Rendo provides us the vendors some tool to email people that have an article in their wishlist and notify them of things like this. Rendo may want to approve before being sent to avoid spam, it's like the "email buyers" tool.

KageRyu ( ) posted Sat, 18 December 2010 at 11:10 AM

Quote - Maybe when this happens you could contact the vendor and ask him/her if the product in question is still available elsewhere?

I have tried a few times, but have not yet received answers. Though the vendors are probably very busy and may feel slighted thinking "If you wanted it why didn't you buy it before." As I said, I don't so much blame the vendors, or anyone, just floating ideas for possible improvements.

Quote - Why not another solution? For example, I would love that Rendo provides us the vendors some tool to email people that have an article in their wishlist and notify them of things like this. Rendo may want to approve before being sent to avoid spam, it's like the "email buyers" tool.

Another solution would be fine too. An email buyers option works if/when vendors send such emails. One reason I was thinking along the lines of automating somehow was to reduce the workload or need for Venders and content creators to have to take time outs to generate emails. I know from some of the forum threads I've read in the vendor forum here and at other brockerages is that some vendors and creators already feel to overwhelmed trying to manage content and marketplaces, especially across multiple websites, as well as keep up suport as their catalogs grow,  etc...  I think these are probably the reasons why some products that are great products, but with a small or niche market, end up getting pruned.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.