Wed, Sep 18, 8:00 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: OT: Interesting Found Art--2D made 3D...

WandW ( ) posted Tue, 18 January 2011 at 8:05 PM · edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 5:21 PM

"Photographer Thomas Allen creates art out of old novels by cutting out select pieces of covers and insides and photographing them with a meaningful depth of field."

http://www.golberz.com/2010/06/art-of-pulp-novels.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

saibabameuk ( ) posted Wed, 19 January 2011 at 3:39 AM

Interesting work , does he need to cut up old books ? What about the use of photoshop!

:0)

12rounds ( ) posted Thu, 20 January 2011 at 2:46 AM

Beautiful and interesting work. I can only marvel at how much effort and money the photographer must have spent to track down and secure the rights to publish bits and pieces of other's work.

SteveJax ( ) posted Thu, 20 January 2011 at 7:27 AM

Quote - Beautiful and interesting work. I can only marvel at how much effort and money the photographer must have spent to track down and secure the rights to publish bits and pieces of other's work.

I seriously doubt that he did. All of those novels are at least 50 years old and the cover art wasn't used in full so it would fall under the Fair Use doctrine.

Lucie ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2011 at 7:06 AM

Even if the art is at least 50 years old doesn't mean it's not copyrighted anymore, copyrights expire 50 years after the death of the author , not 50 years after it was created.   I'm also not sure that this would fall under fair use unless it would be considered a parody?

Lucie
finfond.net
finfond.net (store)

wingnut1 ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2011 at 7:16 AM

He hasn't actually copied anything but just cut the covers up to make something else. I mean if I cut the rooster off the front of a Kellogs Corn Flakes box and make a fridge magnet out of it, does that still breach copyright?

Lucie ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2011 at 8:02 AM

He's using images that were created by others to make his own art so it's possible it's a copyright infringement.  I say possible because maybe he did obtain permission?  Not too sure who would own the copyrights for those covers, if it would be the original artists or the publishing company but yes, he may very well have asked. 

If you were to use the corn flakes rooster to make a fridge magnet for yourself, to put on your own fridge I don't think you'd have a problem, but if you were to start selling those magnets, then yes, since that rooster is probably trademarked by the company that makes corn flakes, you would be in trouble if they were to find out.  ;)

Lucie
finfond.net
finfond.net (store)

dphoadley ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2011 at 1:23 PM

What I'd like to know is why we must concern ourselves with this question in the 1st place.

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

Lucie ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2011 at 7:36 PM

You're probably right, the guy had so many exhibitions all over the place that if he didn't have the right to do that I'm sure he would have been sued a few times already.  I mostly didn't agree with the way you phrased it in your first post, kind of thought you meant everything 50 years or older was most likely public domain and chopping images to create other stuff was fair use.

Lucie
finfond.net
finfond.net (store)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.