Sat, Aug 3, 2:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 03 7:14 am)

Subject: O'T: APO'STROPHE'S!'!'!

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2011 at 3:02 PM

Wow, Adana.  I remember all the hobby magazines used to be full of them back in the 60s.  There was even a dealer in Sheffield - a general hobby shop - now sadly gone.

OTOH, I always had an interest in layout, design and so forth.  Software fills my needs in those departments but I'd still love to have a bash with a real printing press.  My first ever job was using an offset litho machine.  Not particularly interesting or fun but there you go.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2011 at 3:04 PM

aaah Airfix...happy memories of Wellingtons, Spitfires, Stuka's and Eagle Transporters

Airport security is a burden we must all shoulder. Do your part, and please grope yourself in advance.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2011 at 3:04 PM

Quote - Ahhhh...Airfix Afrika Korps soldiers...

I had thousands of Airfix soldiers.  All now long gone. :(

The WWI German Infantry were beautifully sculpted.   8th Army looked awful, IIRC.

My Store

My Gallery

Paul Francis ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2011 at 3:07 PM · edited Wed, 02 February 2011 at 3:08 PM

The Afrika Korps had the best poses.....funny, that, on a Poser forum!

"Stuka's".  We're still on topic!

My self-build system - Vista 64 on a Kingston 240GB SSD, Asus P5Q Pro MB, Quad 6600 CPU, 8 Gb Geil Black Dragon Ram, CoolerMaster HAF932 full tower chassis, EVGA Geforce GTX 750Ti Superclocked 2 Gb, Coolermaster V8 CPU aircooler, Enermax 600W Modular PSU, 240Gb SSD, 2Tb HDD storage, 28" LCD monitor, and more red LEDs than a grown man really needs.....I built it in 2008 and can't afford a new one, yet.....!

My Software - Poser Pro 2012, Photoshop, Bryce 6 and Borderlands......"Catch a  r--i---d-----e-----!"

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2011 at 3:12 PM

Heh.  Considering this started as an OT thread and has undergone numerous thread drifts since, it was bound to happen.

My Store

My Gallery

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2011 at 3:35 PM

so. back 't the topic. nothin' wrong with usin' an apostrophe in the right place, t'were the point, if I remember Cap'n......

Airport security is a burden we must all shoulder. Do your part, and please grope yourself in advance.

patorak3d ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2011 at 3:53 PM

...BTW can an apostrophe absorb the impact of a soggie, chicken shit, shape charge?

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2011 at 3:56 PM
Online Now!

Quote - so. back 't the topic. nothin' wrong with usin' an apostrophe in the right place, t'were the point, if I remember Cap'n......

True - I seem to have diverted the topic slightly; but if you want to chat about Adanas etc you cam PM me.

So, back to our sheep: should we abolish the apostrophe, then? It seems to have got into languages (such as German, see postings here on Rendo) where it never belonged.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2011 at 4:09 PM

Nah, I don't think we should.  Yet.  I strongly suspect it will eventually go the same way as the hyphen in pic-nic and to-day but that's a long way off.  OTOH, maybe it will stay since it's a useful indicator of context when used properly.

I'd be interested in some basic info about Adana presses, although the day when I actually get my hands on one is probably far, far away in the future.  Right now we're busy preparing for the arrival of our new daughter, due tomorrow.  :)  

My Store

My Gallery

patorak3d ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2011 at 4:23 PM

Tomorrow!  Are you all at the hospital now?

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2011 at 6:31 PM

Nope.  We'll go when Claire goes into labour good and proper.  :)

Chances are the little bugger will be late, anyhow.  Samuel was 8 days overdue.

My Store

My Gallery

Dave-So ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2011 at 8:48 PM

go dig some deep holes for a fence. have your wife lift those big poles and fill in with you..you know, hubby and wife playtime ...I guarantee the baby will be around soon.

I know from expereince ... almost delivered in JC PEnny parking lot ...but made it to the hospital with immediated delivery almost in the wheelchair on the way to the delivery room. much excitement.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2011 at 3:30 AM

I suggested your idea to Claire.  Her answer was short, related to sex and travel and ended with "off". :)

My Store

My Gallery

slinger ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2011 at 4:31 PM

Oop's I did it again  :¬)

The liver is evil - It must be punished.

SteveJax ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2011 at 5:03 PM

Quote - I suggested your idea to Claire.  Her answer was short, related to sex and travel and ended with "off". :)

So that's a no to heavy lifting then? :tt2:

Dave-So ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2011 at 5:04 PM

LOL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2011 at 7:56 PM

She's been busy around the house today, trying to get things moving but so far, the new baby hasn't put in an appearance.

My Store

My Gallery

grichter ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2011 at 8:07 PM

Quote - > Quote - so. back 't the topic. nothin' wrong with usin' an apostrophe in the right place, t'were the point, if I remember Cap'n......

True - I seem to have diverted the topic slightly; but if you want to chat about Adanas etc you cam PM me.

So, back to our sheep: should we abolish the apostrophe, then? It seems to have got into languages (such as German, see postings here on Rendo) where it never belonged.

You British and your affinity for sheep. Watch this video is it is really good...

http://www.wimp.com/sheeplight/

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

Dave-So ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2011 at 8:19 PM

if you use oil of olay..it really helps ....

OLAY !!!!   slide right out

mathman ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2011 at 1:45 AM

The British may have an affinity for sheep but that pales into insignificance compared to New Zealanders. There is a joke that we Aussies like to tell:

Q: How does a New Zealand sheep farmer find his sheep in the long grass?
A: Verrrrrry satisfying !!!!!

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2011 at 2:55 AM

It's the Welsh who are supposed to be interested in sheep, not Brits en masse.

As the fixer will tell you, though, it's just another one of those demeaning stereotypes.

My Store

My Gallery

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2011 at 3:35 AM
Online Now!

Quote -  

So, back to our sheep:

You British and your affinity for sheep.

Actually it's originally a French phrase: "Revenons a nos moutons".

Link: http://french.about.com/od/vocabulary/a/revenonsanosmoutons.htm

grichter ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2011 at 11:20 AM

Quote - The British may have an affinity for sheep but that pales into insignificance compared to New Zealanders. There is a joke that we Aussies like to tell:

Q: How does a New Zealand sheep farmer find his sheep in the long grass?
A: Verrrrrry satisfying !!!!!

That's baaaaaaaaaaaaaa d

Last Time I was in NZ in about 1990, the sheep out numbered the people by I think 3 or 4 to 1.

Or as they say about Iowa here in the states...Iowa, where the men are men and the sheep are nervous!

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Wed, 01 June 2011 at 4:18 AM

Sorry to come to the party late. Just came across this thread and have been wondering if the misuse of apostrophes is really that annoying.

I've come to the conclusion that it's.

:-)

Free stuff @ https://poser.cobrablade.net/

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Wed, 01 June 2011 at 5:10 AM
Online Now!

It might be a function of age ... especially those of us who've hit three score and ten ...

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 02 June 2011 at 10:19 AM

I don't mind  grammar and spelling being mangled for humour or creativity but when it's done through ignorance it gets my goat.

Another one which gives me conniptions... "addicting".  Aaaagh!  It's "addictive" fer crissake.

Oh, and my daughter will be 4 months old in 6 days. :)

My Store

My Gallery

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.