Fri, Oct 4, 12:18 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: IDL setting basics

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Sat, 22 January 2011 at 1:27 PM · edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 7:23 AM

Hello, I have never been able to get a render using IDL to work (other than a naked figure in an empty room or the mannequin study that bagginsbill did way back with a glowing box in a hallway). That being said, I want to see what is frying my ability to render basic scenes. They always stop computing IDL about 1/8th to 1/3rd of the way down and then only render that small area. If that.

My current settings are IDL quality 7 but I can set it lower and it still chokes. Any pointers would be appreciated since it is frustrating that I can never use it.

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 22 January 2011 at 2:43 PM

Step one for any Indirect Lighting/Global Illumination render is to enclose the scene and all your lighting in a polygonal environment.  If you don't want to do this, most of the light will just vanish off into space.

Reason for your renders stalling is probably transmapped hair.  The more complex the hair model, the worse this will be.  It isn't limited to just hair, but hair models tend to provoke this problem in the worst way.  A workaround is to hide the hair from raytracing - this isn't ideal, but it's better than waiting a month for your render to finish.  This is a problem that occurs in pretty much all GI render applications, when dealing with complex geometry that is partially transparent or partially hidden by alpha.

My Freebies

hborre ( ) posted Sat, 22 January 2011 at 5:56 PM
Online Now!

I have found that dropping my irradiance cache to 10 and number of bounces to 2-3 makes by renders go quicker than trying to max out the settings.  I would suggest using D3D's render firefly found under Scripts rather than Poser's legacy render engine.  You have more control over your final settings.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Sun, 23 January 2011 at 10:24 AM · edited Sun, 23 January 2011 at 10:26 AM

The problem is that enclosing it normally makes the scene not render. And this is in simple scenes with no hair (except eyelashes) or no human figures even. It just dies.

I will try dropping the irradiance cache down to 10 and see if that helps. The D3D script doesn't work for me. I did try that once before.

pjz99 ( ) posted Sun, 23 January 2011 at 10:36 AM

Quote - The problem is that enclosing it normally makes the scene not render. And this is in simple scenes with no hair (except eyelashes) or no human figures even. It just dies.

If it's behaving like this, you don't have a settings problem, you have a bug.  Contact SM for support.

http://www.smithmicro.com/support/contact.aspx

My Freebies

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Sun, 23 January 2011 at 4:06 PM

What does irradiance cache do? I am not sure but I have ran a few tests and it works fine with a low setting but it dies whenever I have it at my usual render setting. It also works at a mid range but I am not really seeing a difference in the simple test I did.

pjz99 ( ) posted Sun, 23 January 2011 at 4:09 PM

Whether it's set to zero or 100, it should NEVER cause the app to hang, especially on an empty scene.  There should be no combination of settings you can apply within the interface that ever causes the app to hang.  You have a bug.

My Freebies

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Sun, 23 January 2011 at 4:16 PM

file_464430.jpg

Well the application doesn't die. The render does. Partial renders, it is computing and it only goes so far before stopping. Here are two renders that show what I mean, normally in Poser it has a couple of render buckets missing but they just dropped the whole row when saving it.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 23 January 2011 at 6:05 PM

they'll need more info on yer render settings and in what manner d3d ffrender script doesn't work.  they may also wanna know which version of OS X and what machine, RAM, graphics card, poser prefs et al.  not seeing transmapped hair in there, but find all transparent surfaces and uncheck "visible in raytracing".  IC (AO and IDL) allows interpolation error into the lite calcs.  AOIC=100 or IDLIC=100 means interpolation error = 0.  this setting means render will be very slow.  it will likely cause PPC or low-ram intel macs to quit.

I reckon the render progress bar actually disappears and the render stops, rather than the render appearing to stop while the progress bar continues to move (may be a feature, not a bug), then you hit "cancel".

onnetz ( ) posted Sun, 23 January 2011 at 6:40 PM

I can reproduce the same problem if settings are too high or I'm trying to render too large of a resolution. I'm only running 2gb of ram and I'm sure thats where the problem is.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or play with it,

just pee on it and walk away. :-)

I wouldnt have to manage my anger

if people would manage their stupidity......

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Sun, 23 January 2011 at 9:04 PM

The render bar disppears and the render stops, it thinks it is finished but it isn't. I wasn't seeing much difference in the lower IC so I think I will just try to lower it and see if that works from now on.

Zev0 ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2011 at 6:30 AM

What is you ram amount? Also are you on 32-bit win or 64? 

My Renderosity Store

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.