Sat, Aug 3, 4:34 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 03 3:43 am)

Subject: OT(ish) Each Nvidia Driver Update worse than the last

Photopium ( ) posted Sun, 30 January 2011 at 12:23 PM · edited Sat, 03 August 2024 at 12:46 AM

I have GeForce 8400 GS Video Card on an AMD Quad system, 64 bit of course, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

I've been using a driver from last year, spring, I think, and it was stable.  I tried the one after that, and it all my 3d apps would crash...saying the driver failed.  So I rolled back and now, after Windows Update nagging me to do so, I tried their latest driver and still...problems everywhere, specifically when doing camera moves or anything that requires real-timey updates quickly.

What gives, Nvidia?

Do I just need a new video card, is that it?

Getting fed up.

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Sun, 30 January 2011 at 12:41 PM · edited Sun, 30 January 2011 at 12:44 PM

don't use the Windows update ones at all.

get them directly from Nvidia. I've had no issues with drivers directly from their site, (running Windows 7 64bit, Geforce 9500GT).

you say you tried the one after that. there was a bad driver out there that was withdrawn because it caused overheating issues.. I'd make sure your not using that one at all. that was numbered 196.75 and was quickly withdrawn.**

Airport security is a burden we must all shoulder. Do your part, and please grope yourself in advance.

Photopium ( ) posted Sun, 30 January 2011 at 12:43 PM

It's not the Windows one, it's from their site, and it's not the one you mentioned by number.  It's the one that's up there now.

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Sun, 30 January 2011 at 12:46 PM

ah I'm running that one with no issues at all (and I'm pushing the card, dual LCD's at 1280x1024). it could be the card is showing it's age a little or you have something else running thats draining resources.

Airport security is a burden we must all shoulder. Do your part, and please grope yourself in advance.

Gareee ( ) posted Sun, 30 January 2011 at 12:50 PM

Thats why I finally went back to ati. (I have zero brand loyalty!) I was seeing too many various issues with nvidia drivers on one of my systems here, and other than an opengl issue about 2 years ago for a few months, ati drivers have been problem free, when updated monthly.

My biggest video card issues though haven't so much been driversof late, but dust and intake clogging on video cards causing them to overheat. Have you checked to see if you have good cooling airflow on it? Maybe you are seeing overheating issues increase over time?

I hate those cards with tons of metal channels that get clogged with dust, and so far ones with larger fans instead seem to correct that issue at least with me.

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

pjz99 ( ) posted Sun, 30 January 2011 at 1:17 PM · edited Sun, 30 January 2011 at 1:17 PM

Nvidia cards are not identical, even though they may be based around the same chip.  I highly recommend EVGA, I've almost never had any problems - I have an 8800GTX running the 6.14.12.5721 driver, works perfectly in all my apps.

My Freebies

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Sun, 30 January 2011 at 1:26 PM

(I meant I'm running that Driver - not chip)

pjz99 ( ) posted Sun, 30 January 2011 at 2:12 PM

Sure - I was addressing the original post really.

My Freebies

markschum ( ) posted Sun, 30 January 2011 at 2:47 PM

I have a policy of NOT updating unless there is a problem to fix. I am running an nvidia card with a driver dated Jan 2009.   

Photopium ( ) posted Sun, 30 January 2011 at 2:49 PM

Is OpenGL something that needs to be updated?  And if so, where from?

millighost ( ) posted Sun, 30 January 2011 at 4:23 PM

Quote - Is OpenGL something that needs to be updated?  And if so, where from?

Yes, and that is basically what installing a driver means (at least for the 3d-part). So you install the NVIDIA-driver version 266.58, and in the Readme of that driver you can read, what that driver supports (OpenGL 4.1, DirectX 11, etc). Apart from the driver there is not much required for OpenGL (unless you program using OpenGL yourself).

pjz99 ( ) posted Sun, 30 January 2011 at 7:20 PM

Quote - I have a policy of NOT updating unless there is a problem to fix. I am running an nvidia card with a driver dated Jan 2009.   

This is usually pretty wise, especially regarding OpenGL applications like Poser and Cinema4D; OpenGL is a pretty old spec and rarely changes much these days.

My Freebies

Photopium ( ) posted Sun, 30 January 2011 at 7:29 PM

I reset my Card to default settings.  Maybe I revved something up a little too high that worked with older drivers but taxed newer ones that unlocked more resource hogging "features" all of which do nothing in Poser.

Gareee ( ) posted Sun, 30 January 2011 at 7:32 PM

Actually the advise from the developers is exactly the opposite.  When we are beta testing new versions of 3d apps, they ALWAYS tell us to make SURE we are using the latest drivers, because in some cases, there are enhancements of changes in the drivers specifically for new app changes.

I've beta tested 5 different 3d apps, plus the last 3 or 4 generations of poser, and they all require installing the latest driver versions.

Typically when we DO see a graphic glitch in testing, very commonly its because we have not updated to the current driver build, which they are developing on.

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

onnetz ( ) posted Sun, 30 January 2011 at 7:38 PM

Nvidia released new cards not too long ago and most likely is the reason for new drivers being available. Your card and the new ones all use the same drivers.

I had an 8400gs and Posers preview would max it out easy. Also some of those cards have passive cooling so make sure yours isnt overheating.

An upgrade would be beneficial. But if you dont then go back to drivers that were stable and tell windows to leave you alone about it. :-)

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or play with it,

just pee on it and walk away. :-)

I wouldnt have to manage my anger

if people would manage their stupidity......

cyberscape ( ) posted Sun, 30 January 2011 at 9:48 PM

I just installed the 195.62 for Vista64. It seems like my 8800GT is running a bit smoother now (windows open and icons refresh quicker). Also, CS4 likes this driver a lot better that the last one (from Jan 2010). Poser8's library also quit throwing up an error everytime I restart.

So far, so good.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

AMD FX-9590 4.7ghz 8-core, 32gb of RAM, Win7 64bit, nVidia GeForce GTX 760

PoserPro2012, Photoshop CS4 and Magix Music Maker

--------------------------------------------------------------

...and when the day is dawning...I have to say goodbye...a last look back into...your broken eyes.

alexcoppo ( ) posted Mon, 31 January 2011 at 5:42 AM

Rule 0 of system admistration (both hardware and software):

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

My corollary: When you change, usually you change for worse.

Bye.

GIMP 2.7.4, Inkscape 0.48, Genetica 3.6 Basic, FilterForge 3 Professional, Blender 2.61, SketchUp 8, PoserPro 2012, Vue 10 Infinite, World Machine 2.3, GeoControl 2

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 31 January 2011 at 7:13 AM · edited Mon, 31 January 2011 at 7:14 AM

Quote - I've beta tested 5 different 3d apps, plus the last 3 or 4 generations of poser, and they all require installing the latest driver versions.

While that's a pretty standard thing that any support staff will tell you, in my own experience with 3 generations of Poser it hasn't been necessary at all, nor for a couple of generations of Cinema 4D or Zbrush.  I had a problem with Cinema when I first installed the card, but that was probably because the 8800 series was brand new and the drivers I had were the initial release that supported the 8800s.  It may be that the hardware has been a factor though (again I highly recommend EVGA).

My Freebies

millighost ( ) posted Mon, 31 January 2011 at 11:19 AM

Quote - Rule 0 of system admistration (both hardware and software):

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

My corollary: When you change, usually you change for worse.

Bye.

Interesting strategy, i for myself usually prefer the exact opposite:

Upgrade drivers when everything works fine.

By doing so, if the driver is bad, i know that the driver is bad and can install the old one again. But if i would wait with the upgrade until i get a new graphics card (which will happen inevitably anyway), i would need to install the card and driver the same time, and if something does not work i would not know if it is the driver or the card or both, usually resulting in hours of plugging/unplugging and installing/deinstalling.

It depends on personal preferences, in the end you weight some small hassles (upgrading now and then) against one big hassle (defer all upgrades till you must).

ratscloset ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2011 at 6:29 PM

The latest version of the software is designed with the latest version of the Drivers for the various Video Cards. This is why you should have the latest Driver. With few exceptions, if you are using Poser 8 with SR3 and have a driver from early last year, you will want to update.

NOTE: It is not just the software. Sometimes the OS updates things that require a new Driver. This is why you should always keep your driver up to date. You can check the Readme. In some cases, if you have an older card, you will not need to update, because the update does not have any new files for your Card.

Drivers sometimes get corrupted. ATI and nVidia, both, have released some bad drivers in the past. You may just need to remove the device from your system using Device Manager, reboot, let windows find the device, then only install the latest Driver. That may fix the issue.

ratscloset
aka John

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.