Thu, Sep 19, 10:37 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 9:35 am)

Subject: Renderosity Freebie Posting Policy Question

GaryChildress ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2011 at 5:16 AM · edited Mon, 05 August 2024 at 8:32 AM

Has anyone here had any experience with ShareCG.com? I recently signed up with them and plan on featuring some of my freebies there. I gather they are a reputable site? Has anyone had any BAD experiences with them?

I've hosted all my freebies to date here on Renderosity but of course Renderosity doesn't pay anything at all whereas ShareCG apparently pays a little with no expense to the visitors who will still get their items for free. I'm debating whether to dual host my freebies on both Renderosity AND ShareCG or maybe just move all my wares to ShareCG, whichever is more profitable.  

My second question is: if I move my wares to ShareCG.com, can I still advertise them here on Renderosity? In other words, I notice that some of the freebies here at Renderosity redirect you to third party websites where you actually download the items. Am I allowed to post items here at Renderosity and redirect them to ShareCG for the actual download?

Thanks. :)

Please visit My 3D Freebies

Thank you for your patronage!

GaryChildress ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2011 at 5:19 AM

Sorry, I just noticed there is a "Freestuff" forum down at the bottom of the forums page. I guess I should have posted this there. Would a site moderator please move this if necessary.

My apologies.

Thanks.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2011 at 6:06 AM

Just to answer your second question, I have noticed many freeshare items posted at both sharecg and Rendo.

GaryChildress ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2011 at 6:35 AM

Quote - Just to answer your second question, I have noticed many freeshare items posted at both sharecg and Rendo.

I'm wondering, though, if I can post my ShareCG freebies here. In other words, can I upload a freebie exclusively onto ShareCG and then post a link here on Renderosity so that people who find the freebie here will actually be directed to visit the ShareCG site in order to actually download the freebie? I mean, at first glance I don't see why not. I see some freebies here which redirect me to the private sites of the artist which created the freebie in order to actually download the freebie.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2011 at 6:55 AM

I have done so... and so do a lot of other people.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

GaryChildress ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2011 at 7:08 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Third question: How do I do this? I mean, when I go to upload a freebie here at Renderosity it just gives me the option to upload a file. It doesn't seem to give me an option to post a link to the freebie on another web site. Is there a trick to it that I'm just not seeing?

Thanks.

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2011 at 7:53 AM

The only way you can advertize your Sharecg freebies is by making an announcement thread in the Freestuff forum with the link.

Laurie

GaryChildress ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2011 at 8:05 AM

Thank you for the response LaurieA.

I've browsed the forums a little more and, yes, I see that is the case. Plus I looked at the upload policy. I guess things have changed now. Once upon a time people could advertise their own links in the upload section, which is nice to be able to do. Renderosity has since forbidden this practice. However, this undercuts the best interests of 3D producers IMO. It may serve the interests of the consumer but it also hurts a the consumer a bit because there will be more offsite hosting of freebies instead of a centralized place to locate them all.

I've posted in the community forum if you want to have a look. I'm asking if anyone knows of any compromise or solution to the dilemma: Who's interests should Renderosity cater to, the consumers or the producers?

BionicRooster ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2011 at 8:24 AM
Forum Moderator

It's my understanding ( may be wrong) that R'osity didn't used to host the freebies, but vendors were meant to, or upload them to a place like ShareCG and link to it. Like I said, I may be wrong (not unusual)

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2011 at 8:33 AM

No, RO didn't used to host files and one had to host them elsewhere (places like Sharecg were popular). They've since started hosting the files but when they did, they forbid offsite linking. It was a very unpopular decision and still is for a lot of us since some of us have actual websites where we put our freebies. A thread was started to object to this practice, but so far, none of the powers that be care to listen ;o). I doubt starting a new thread about it will change anything, but good luck!

Laurie

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2011 at 9:46 AM · edited Wed, 02 February 2011 at 9:47 AM

Yes, ShareCG will pay you for your stuff.  So far I haven't made a bean from mine.  I guess you have to have thousands of downloads.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

SteveJax ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2011 at 6:39 PM · edited Wed, 02 February 2011 at 6:40 PM

Just so you know, the ShareCG promise to pay has a history of dissappearing for years at a time as well. They pulled profit sharing for over a year, nearly two, and only recently got back into sharing the profits.

GaryChildress ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2011 at 8:22 PM

Hmm. Sounds like ShareCG isn't all that great. Oh well. I guess I shouldn't quit my day job...no matter how miserable I am. Bad day at work today... :(

markschum ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2011 at 11:53 PM

Sharecg seems quite good , they host the files and provide a search function for them. They originally had a payment system that wasnt much , but it started a bunch of uploads of red, green, blue, pink texture sets and many backdrops that were not hard to do and not really that different from each other. Now the pay system is back for those who choose to participate.

By hosting the freestuff themselves Renderosity may be trying to ensure that nothing harmfull gets into the files. There were a few incidents with viruses and in one case a malicious program in posted freebies hosted elsewhere.

If you have a bad day at work , at least you have a job, be thankful for that.

You have to sign up for the profit share thing at sharecg, it was not automatic.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.