Mon, Jul 8, 7:05 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 07 8:11 pm)

Subject: How to get metal texture

tom271 ( ) posted Sat, 19 February 2011 at 2:34 PM · edited Thu, 02 May 2024 at 9:29 AM

I have been working on an image and I have failed to get metal to look like metal...

In Bryce I just simply go to the metal procedures and apply it...  or do it manually in the lab...  I don't know my way around Poser's Material lab too well..  except for applying basic colors and browse to get a texture..

Can someone help me get an object look like metal in Poser 7..

Thank you

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 19 February 2011 at 2:56 PM · edited Sat, 19 February 2011 at 3:03 PM

make your diffuse value 0.00. Add a reflect node to the reflection color and make the reflection color block on the main surface node the color you want the metal to be (don't change anything on the actual reflection node). Set the reflection value on the main surface node to 1.00 and add a glossy node to the Alternate Specular. Might wanna change your KS value from 1.0 to 2.0 and lower the roughness value and raise the sharpness value.

All this is useless unless there is something in the scene to reflect. If there isn't, it's gonna look like crap ;).

I also have a few metallic shaders in freestuff - you could try one of those if only to see how the shaders are set up. It says they are for Poser 8, but they should work in 7. All those nodes exist in Poser 7.

Laurie

tom271 ( ) posted Sat, 19 February 2011 at 3:59 PM

@ LaurieA...  Thank you.. I'll try that...  I will also try your shaders...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tom271 ( ) posted Sat, 19 February 2011 at 5:54 PM

file_465730.jpg

I found a good combination of settings to make a metal..  I need a dull metal but when I make a shade where and how do I save it..?  materials?  

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 19 February 2011 at 6:01 PM · edited Sat, 19 February 2011 at 6:02 PM

Yep, just save as a single material, unless you want it to go across multiple material zones. Then make a material collection. But, if you save it as a single mat then you can apply it to anything.

Laurie

tom271 ( ) posted Sat, 19 February 2011 at 6:08 PM

and How do I save it as a Mat.....  just anywhere in the materials section..

As in clicking on "add to library"...  plus sign...

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 19 February 2011 at 6:18 PM · edited Sat, 19 February 2011 at 6:19 PM

Quote - and How do I save it as a Mat.....  just anywhere in the materials section..

As in clicking on "add to library"...  plus sign...

Make a folder if you like first and then by clicking the plus sign. After clicking the plus sign, it will ask you if you want to make a Single material or a Material Collection. If you want to make a material collection, make sure you choose every material zone in that object that you want that shader on.

Laurie

tom271 ( ) posted Sat, 19 February 2011 at 7:33 PM

ok...  will put a folder on my desktop and proceed... 

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 19 February 2011 at 7:37 PM

I would put the folder in your Poser Runtime somewhere, inside the Materials folder. I would NOT put it on your desktop.

Laurie

tom271 ( ) posted Sat, 19 February 2011 at 7:55 PM

I decided to go without a folder....   Thank you...  I will remember the Runtime next time..

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.