Mon, Jul 8, 7:38 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 08 7:07 am)

Subject: A bone to pick with a Flap

tom271 ( ) posted Sun, 20 February 2011 at 5:11 PM · edited Sun, 26 May 2024 at 1:20 PM

file_465771.jpg

I have a box with two flap doors Flap1 and flap2...  Flap2 rides on Flap1,,, as the diagram illustrates..  I have rigged the box and flaps...  Everything works except Flap2 does not fallow Flap1..  Flap2 tends to stay at point B and not adhere it self with Flap1... and be at point A..

The Bones are {Box} and two bones... Flap1 and Flap2.. See diagram..

How do I get the two flaps to adhere to each other..   Is there a way to “Parent” the doors together.... I could not see anything in the higharchy window menu...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ockham ( ) posted Sun, 20 February 2011 at 5:31 PM

Your parenting diagram shows the problem.  Flap2 should be a child of Flap1.  You've got it rigged as a child of the box.

Not clear from your entry whether this is a figure or just a parented set of props.  If it's a parented set of props, you can just open the hierarchy window and drag Flap2 onto Flap1, then resave the whole set.  

If it's a figure, you'll have to rebuild the whole thing with a different parenting pattern.

In either case you'll probably need to redo the joint centers after the change.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

markschum ( ) posted Sun, 20 February 2011 at 5:37 PM

Heirarchy should be  Box > Flap 1 >  flap2

flap 2 should move with flap 1 but it will not stay verticle as if gravity was affecting it.

If both flap 1 and flap 2 are in the heirarchy as connected to Box then its working correctly , but not what you want.

ockham ( ) posted Sun, 20 February 2011 at 5:48 PM

Another thought:  If it's a figure you won't need to rebuild.

For a single change like this, you can just edit the CR2.  Find the paragraph for Flap2, then scan down until you see

parent Box

or it might be

parent Box:1 or some other number.

Change this to

parent Flap1  (with the :1 if it was there)

Then scan down until you find

addChild Box
   Flap2

Change this to

addChild Flap1
   Flap2

While you're in the CR2, also change every bend 1 to bend 0.

Resave the CR2.  As above you'll still need to readjust the joint centers.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

tom271 ( ) posted Sun, 20 February 2011 at 10:08 PM

Thank you .... I'll go with redoing it over again... it is only three bones... 

Box > Flap 1 >  flap2..  no gravity is required...  but it would have been interesting...

Maybe next time I like to learn to do that...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

markschum ( ) posted Sun, 20 February 2011 at 10:13 PM

You can set up an erc control to move both flaps together so that the one flap hangs vertically while the other opens , but that can be added later if you want.

tom271 ( ) posted Sun, 20 February 2011 at 10:38 PM

file_465785.jpg

It worked..!  thank you... 

"You can set up an erc control to move both flaps together so that the one flap hangs vertically while the other opens , but that can be added later if you want."

I would be very interested in making them both open with one dial..!!!!

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 20 February 2011 at 11:09 PM

file_465786.gif

the other way is just to use props (no cr2): box-door-flap.  in P8 or later, door xrot-->flap xrot (dependent parameter), meaning when door xrot dial is spun, door moves and flap rotates to maintain vertical.

markschum ( ) posted Mon, 21 February 2011 at 12:40 AM

for any cr2 you find the BODY section and after a parameter you add this code:

valueParm DoorOpen
            {
            name DoorOpen
            initValue 0
            hidden 0
            forceLimits 4
            min -90
            max 90
            trackingScale 1
            keys
                {
                static  0
                k  0  0
                }
            interpStyleLocked 0
            }

Then you find the channel in flap1 and flap2 that opens them and add this code to them:

interpStyleLocked 0          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<< this line is last line of parameter
            valueOpDeltaAdd
                Figure 1
                BODY:1
                DoorOpen
            deltaAddDelta 1.000000
            } <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< and this exists - add the code between

Note: Figure 1 and Body:1 are whatever is in the cr2 you edit.

You may need to change the deltaadddelta to -1 to change the direction it moves

tom271 ( ) posted Mon, 21 February 2011 at 1:06 AM · edited Mon, 21 February 2011 at 1:09 AM

file_465809.jpg

Thanks again.. I was able to do the drawers as well.. they have loner bones per..

@ Miss Nancy...  I have P7...  

@ markschum...   I'll keep a note on that one... It looks a little bit out of my intent for now..  BUT!!  I am very interested..   This will move both doors on one dial????

markschum ( ) posted Mon, 21 February 2011 at 4:31 PM

yes, what I describe would a new dial in the BODY of the figure and that dial would move both flap 1 and 2 together .  This code is what P8 and up implement as dependant parameters.

tom271 ( ) posted Mon, 21 February 2011 at 6:12 PM · edited Mon, 21 February 2011 at 6:14 PM

I open it with wordpad and that CR2 is huge,,,, lol....  

I got to find the "BODY" section...

your instruction were a bit vague...

*"for any cr2 you find the BODY section and after a parameter you add this code:" *

Can you be a bit more forthcoming...  I don't do this everyday...  can you expand..?

and after I add this code.. and find a new dial.. What do I do next... will it be all setup already?

Thanks again...

Tom* 

lesbentley ( ) posted Tue, 22 February 2011 at 1:15 PM

Quote - I got to find the "BODY"

Any text editor has a search function. Just use the search string "BODY". Or use a cr2 editor.

The reason your cr2 is "huge", is probably because it is using internal geometry (geomCustom). Load the figure in Poser, then save it back to the palette. Poser will then write an external obj file for the geometry, and place it in the same folder as the cr2. This will drasticly reduce the size of the cr2 itself, and make the cr2 easier to understand.

tom271 ( ) posted Tue, 22 February 2011 at 5:25 PM · edited Tue, 22 February 2011 at 5:26 PM

Poser will then write an external obj file for the geometry, and place it in the same folder as the cr2.

I was wondering why I kept finding Obj files in the Character folder..LOL...

Thank you,, I now know I'm not having bad files... 

I will do a search,,,

markschum ( ) posted Wed, 23 February 2011 at 10:32 PM

Content paradise has some models that put the ibj file in with the prop or figure, and its ok to do so, its just not what people expect.

There is a utility in freestuff that will extract any custom geometry and make an obj file.

tom271 ( ) posted Wed, 23 February 2011 at 10:58 PM

Quote - Content paradise has some models that put the ibj file in with the prop or figure, and its ok to do so, its just not what people expect.

There is a utility in freestuff that will extract any custom geometry and make an obj file.

and which utility is that..?

markschum ( ) posted Wed, 23 February 2011 at 11:05 PM

I think its called geometry stripper

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.