Wed, Sep 18, 11:08 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Transferring Poser from one computer to another.

Cyberwoman ( ) posted Mon, 28 February 2011 at 10:26 PM · edited Wed, 18 September 2024 at 11:00 AM

All right, part 2 of my computer saga... I'm going to be transferring my Poser 7 from my current computer to my new computer. Of course I'm going to back up my Runtime so I can transfer it once I've uninstalled Poser from my current computer and installed it on my new computer. However, I also have some Firefly render presets that I'd really like to save. Does anyone have any idea which files I'd need to copy to transfer those? I'll be moving from Windows XP to Windows 7, if that makes a difference.

~*I've made it my mission to build Cyberworld, one polygon at a time*~

Watch it happen at my technology blog, Building Cyberworld.

Gareee ( ) posted Tue, 01 March 2011 at 7:35 AM

I literally jut did this with poser pro 2010. I left the install intact on my old system. All I did was copy the entire poser install folder (including it's base install runtime) to my new system. I opened up the poser "about on my old pc, so I could see the serial nuber, and when I started poser up on the new pc, I got the rgistration popup. I entered that info, including the serial numbr, and it started up as usual. You still need to move over additional runtimes and add them, but other than that, it apears fine. Granted, windows did not see an installer, and did not add its own installer registry items for uninstallation, and it does not show up in control panel's remove applications, but I'm actually fine with that, and can remove it manually in the future should I choose to.

I did use window's "easy transfer" appplication first to move all my base into to the new PC before this test.

FWIW, Lightwave 3d also transferred fine the exact same way, and even retained all my preference settings. In 4 days, I'd pretty much duplicated and migrated all my important data to me new pc, and it almost looks like a newer faster clone of my old system.

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

raven ( ) posted Tue, 01 March 2011 at 11:00 AM

On my XP, my render settings are in RuntimePrefsRenderPresets. I don't know if that's the same for everyone or not though.

WandW ( ) posted Tue, 01 March 2011 at 1:46 PM

Poser 7 is self-contained in its directory.  Just copy the Poser directory over to the new machine, and drag a shortut to Poser.exe to your desktop.  If you need the file associations, rerun SR3 and point it to the Poser 7 directory, making sure you tell it to back up your preferences (you'll still have to copy them back, as the SR returns them to the default. 👎 )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

Cyberwoman ( ) posted Wed, 02 March 2011 at 8:36 PM

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I'll hopefully be getting the computer soon, but I might not end up transferring Poser 7 because I might end up upgrading to a new version of Poser. However that is not set in stone yet and I might very well end up transferring Poser 7 instead. We'll see how it goes...

~*I've made it my mission to build Cyberworld, one polygon at a time*~

Watch it happen at my technology blog, Building Cyberworld.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.