Sat, Jul 20, 2:40 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 19 11:16 am)

Subject: Poser Cameras

Silke ( ) posted Sun, 27 March 2011 at 11:11 AM · edited Sat, 20 July 2024 at 11:00 AM

Right.

I use a lot of different views to pose and stuff.

Naturally I don't want to recreate this every single time.

Here is the trouble I'm having:

If I apply a camera preset, it doesn't ADD a camera, it just changes the MAIN camera.
I know that, so I avoid it.
I normally create a new Aux Camera and load the preset on that.
The trouble is -- this often changes the MAIN camera as well -- which I don't want.

So here is my question to "Le Gurus" out there:

How can I add a new camera from a pose file / character file, or save one into the default view so it's always available as a separate camera (not a preset, an actual camera)

I honestly hate what Poser is doing when I load a preset. I've tried creating a new one in the default PZ3, but this only seems to work for the first Aux (1) camera -- it ignores the others. (at least they don't show up in my camera list.)

Any hints?

Silke

JunkoH ( ) posted Sun, 27 March 2011 at 11:22 AM

when you add a camera set to the library, there is an option "Select Subset".
You can choose which cameras go into the set.

markschum ( ) posted Sun, 27 March 2011 at 12:35 PM

use the memory dots to store your main camera (or whatever you use to render from) , then you can restore it easily.

saved cameras may be every camera in the scene. You can save just the one camera if you do the presets yourself. Use the subset option.

Silke ( ) posted Sun, 27 March 2011 at 1:54 PM

Yeah, but...

That again only saves a preset, doesn't it? It doesn't ADD a new camera, right? (It just loads the preset onto the camera selected in the subset - thereby wiping out whatever is on the camera in the first place.)

Camera dots won't do me any good. First I forget to set them, and then I don't remember which I stored.

What I'd like to do (and I might edit the CR2 rather heavily to see if I can do it) is have my own cameras load in the camera dropdown as an addition to stuff like Main/Face/Pose etc. on startup.

I'm going to guess the only way to do this is to edit the main CR2?

Silke

Silke ( ) posted Sun, 27 March 2011 at 2:17 PM

Okay, I can add to this now.

I created a new Aux Camera, set it up to my liking, named it...

Went to save it, selected the camera in the subset...

If I try to load it in a new scene -- nada.

Unless I create the camera first with the same name, it won't add a new one.

Well, if I have to jump through all the hoops of renaming the new cameras each time...I might as well go the whole hog and set them up each time.

sigh

I've been asking for an easy way to add a new camera for years, it never did happen.
Mabye when we get to PoserPro 2084, they'll let us do this.

Silke

SteveJax ( ) posted Sun, 27 March 2011 at 4:10 PM

Poser isn't like the more costly 3D modeling apps where you can add cameras. You have to use the ones it comes with and that's that. You can save camera locations using the Camera DOT's and that's about as far as it goes.

lesbentley ( ) posted Sun, 27 March 2011 at 4:29 PM

I'm still using P6. I think the ability to add extra cameras came in with either P7 or P8, so I'm not talking from personal experience with those versions. However if your Poser version allows you to create new cameras, this should work.

Download and install "MinFig" from my free stuff. In Poser, create and set up the new cameras as desired. Parent them to MinFig, then save MinFig back to the Figures palette with a new name, say "CameraSet-01". The next time you load ""CameraSet-01", the cameras should load with it.

Silke ( ) posted Sun, 27 March 2011 at 4:47 PM

I think I got around it - sort of -, but it took some doing.

(And for the record, I'm using PoserPro 2010)

If anyone wants to do this as well... Here is what I did.

First of all I created a new Aux Cam.

Went and changed the settings to the way I liked it, renamed the camera.

Did the same with the next one.

Then I switched to my new main camera, set Preferred State to it -- and the cameras now load on the new document.

That's a very old trick and it still works -- but only if you don't mess with "Perspective" of the camera, because it will not save the scale. (Focal doesn't use the scale and it makes a difference whether you change focal or perspective.)

------- In case anyone wonders: If you change the perspective dial, it changes the scale of the camera. Which means if you save it, and load it, the scale doesn't load with it (it's calculated when you change it, I think) and your camera is in the wrong position. (i.e. you get a great view of the feet, instead of the whole body, because the scale changed instead of the distance.)
Since Focal doesn't make the camera bigger/smaller, but changes position instead, you don't have that problem when you load it.

--

Nifty trick Les :) I'll have to try that.

Silke

SteveJax ( ) posted Sun, 27 March 2011 at 4:52 PM

Wow. I wasn't aware they had added the ability to create camera's finally. That is good news. Now, just how exactly do I go about doing that in Poser 8 or Pro 2010?

Silke ( ) posted Sun, 27 March 2011 at 5:27 PM

Go to Object, Create Camera

The Aux camera is the Revolving one.

You can also add a Dolly one.

Silke

lesbentley ( ) posted Sun, 27 March 2011 at 5:42 PM

file_467243.TXT

Here is something which might help those using old versions of Poser, where the interface does not support creating new cameras. "6Cams.cr2" contains 6 extra AUX cameras. The new cameras are named AUX_A through AUX_F. You can set them up how you like then re-save the cr2. As Silke noted, you should not use the "Perspective" dial, as its value does not get saved. To select the view through one of the new cameras, right click in the Document Window and select the Camera View. Then to select the camera itself, and bring up its palette, you can double click on the trackball icon.

In order to attach the zip to this post, I had to add a ".TXT" extension to the file name, you will need to loose the ".TXT" part of the file extension before you can extract the zip. You may need to change your Windows Folder Options in order to see file extensions.

amandagirl15701 ( ) posted Sun, 27 March 2011 at 9:02 PM

P7 allows you to create new cameras also. It gives you the option of creating a revolve (Aux) or dolly cam.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Mon, 28 March 2011 at 4:54 AM

file_467263.png

I really must look through the menus more carefully. :-)

Something to file under "you learn something new every day".

Silke ( ) posted Mon, 28 March 2011 at 9:54 AM

Hehehe you and me both, Bob.

I usually have a "Duh!" moment on occasion.

Silke

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.