Mon, Oct 7, 7:28 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: OT: Purchased a new PC (well two of them)

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2011 at 9:45 AM · edited Fri, 30 August 2024 at 9:16 AM

Hi Everyone,

My current setup is/was a custom pc I built back in 2001 AMD Barton X64 2Ghz (overclocked) system which I primarily used for rendering and music production, and also my 6 year old Compaq Persario for Gaming / E-Mail / Surfing etc.

My wife has/had an older Compaq Persario which is about 7 years old, and need for an upgrade.

Got a small bonus for completing some projects at work, and so I started doing some research on purchasing a new system.  So this is what I came up with

Case:  Coolermaster Centurion 5 II $67.77
Board: ASUS Sabertooth X58 $193.54
Memory: 12GB in Triple Channel configuration  $67.08 x 3 = $201.24
CPU: Core i7 950 -> Can o/c to 4.0 - 4.4 GHz $289.79
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470  $199.99
1st HDD: Corsair or OCZ 120GB SDD $189.99
2nd HDD: WD Caviar Black SATA3 2TB (this will be on a seperate SATA3 controller on the MB for less bottlenecking $154.99
Optical: Samsung SH-S243D/BEBE 24X Black DVD Writer SATA OEM $21.99
Power Supply: Corsair Corsair TX750W 750W $106
Cooler: Scythe Ninja 3 $47.77

Total with Blu-ray writer: $1571.07 (Canadian)

Modifications:
With DVD-RW instead of Blu-ray: -$98
With WD Caviar Black 640GB as 1st HDD instead of SSD: -$130.20

But I started thinking about the price vs performance and If I could do with less.

So I went to my favourite local computer store and looked at some of the bargain priced pc's they build in house.

So I bought two of these:

Sale Price $379

Board: ASUS P5G41-M LE/CSM
Memory: 4GB (2x 2GB) DDR3 1333Mhz
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5Ghz
GPU: Intel GMA X4500 (Windows 7 Ready)
HDD: 500GB HDD,
Optical: 18X DVD-Writer

Power Supply: 450W

I bumped up the Power supply to 600W as well I added a PCI Express card ATI HD 5670.

Total price for both computers $1100.

One for me and one for the Wife.

I've got my wifes up and running right on on Windows 7 64-Bit and slowly migrating her work stuff onto it, she's happy.

I'll have to configure mine next. :)

So what do you guys think?

bobbystahr ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2011 at 9:58 AM

Good deal...to bad I didn't find similar when I was burgled...hadda drop $800.00 to get just one with similar specs last October.. ...

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

erosiaart ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2011 at 10:33 AM

sweet! really sweet.. 12 gb memory? ouchie! 

once i get back from my summer trip will have to work out a desktop.. not looking forward to that...

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2011 at 11:30 AM

Quote - sweet! really sweet.. 12 gb memory? ouchie! 

once i get back from my summer trip will have to work out a desktop.. not looking forward to that...

That was part of my original plan, for now the 4GB system will have to do, I can always upgrade it to 8GB later.

RodsArt ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2011 at 1:57 PM

Great Deal!

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

tjohn ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2011 at 2:21 PM

Have you broken the news to your old comp yet? So sad...

Sounds cool! Have fun!

John

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

airflamesred ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2011 at 3:11 PM

600 on the psu?

UVDan ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2011 at 3:19 PM
Forum Moderator

Good deal!  I love putting my own computers together.  I get a much better machine than buying a crappy Dell off the shelf.

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2011 at 4:43 PM

Quote - Have you broken the news to your old comp yet? So sad...

The old Comp will be repurposed as a render node :)

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2011 at 4:46 PM

Quote - 600 on the psu?

For the ATI HD 5670 a 400W power supply is recommended or 475W if running CrossfireX in Dual mode).

With 2 Hard Drives / DDR3 Ram / DVD Burner and possibly overclocking this sucker, I need the extra Juice.

I actually went concervative, its not uncommon for people to build systems with a 1200W Powersupply.

The Graphics cards these days and the GPU power is like having a 2nd computer inside your Computer.

I'm hoping the extra GPU will come in handy when transcoding or encoding video.

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2011 at 4:51 PM

Quote - sweet! really sweet.. 12 gb memory? ouchie!  once i get back from my summer trip will have to work out a desktop.. not looking forward to that...

Dont fret Rosie, we have enough tech heads here that we can help you get the best bang for your buck as the saying goes.

ThunderStone ( ) posted Sun, 10 April 2011 at 6:43 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Analog, I have nothing but problems with the ASUS and NVIDA motherboard... First the raid was giving me problems, then the sound went out... Yesterday I was playing Bejeweled Blitz PC version and that frozen up the system and couldn't or wouldn't give visual after having to do a brute re-boot ! My next computer will be ASUS-less and NVIDA-less... After having problems with their updates and then having to put up with their less than satsifactory service, NVIDA can kiss my A$$! No, wait! They are not worhty to even kiss my $**T!  Even the guy that put my computer together had problems with his computer and he used the same motherboard as the one he put in my computer. He sent it back and they sent him a new one but the new one was just as defective as the old one he sent them, so he got a new mb from a different company and put the ASUS mb up on e-Bay... (LOL)

Tell me what would be an ideal computer for Bryce and Poser together????

Then tell me what is the real world computer specs?

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 10 April 2011 at 8:19 AM
Forum Moderator

...keeps shoveling coal into the furnace of his steam-driven pc......

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

peedy ( ) posted Sun, 10 April 2011 at 8:43 AM

WOW, sounds like a great deal, AnalogX.

Aw, poor theBryster.

Corrie

skiwillgee ( ) posted Sun, 10 April 2011 at 12:19 PM

lol, at Chris... and are you still putting candles inside the CRT monitor to brighten it?

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sun, 10 April 2011 at 1:38 PM

@Thunderstone: without knowing which models/components were used for the PC, one suspect could be overheating.  Its no secret that AMD processors run much hotter than Intel processors, so cooling is more important on an AMD Processor, was well the thermal paste used between the CPU & HeatSink can make a big difference.  The cheap white pastes are infirior to the Arctic Silver type of pastes.  I may have been lucky thus far, but I've lost count all the computers I've built with Asus motherboard using AMD and Intel processors without ever having to RMA a board.  But it does happen.

@TheBryster: Can you not divert the methane gas from the lambs in the filed towards powering the PC? Would probably be safer than coal.

ThunderStone ( ) posted Sun, 10 April 2011 at 4:29 PM

Analog, where do you get your parts from? Maybe I can order it online and have my computer guy put it together. With your recommendations I can get it done the way I want it done reasonably priced.

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sun, 10 April 2011 at 5:09 PM

@Thunderstone:  What is your budget? We can start from there.  I live in Canada, so Either I purchase parts from a local supplier or from ncix.com or tigerdirect.ca

If I lived in the U.S.A I would purchase parts from newegg.com, tigerdirect.com or ebay.com there are some good legit part sellers on ebay with warranty.

You can also PM me if you'd rather go private on this topic.

ThunderStone ( ) posted Sun, 10 April 2011 at 6:55 PM

ok, expect a pm from me now....

TheBryster ( ) posted Mon, 11 April 2011 at 7:45 AM
Forum Moderator

Willi? Yes.

Analogue? The lambs aren't around long enough to supply what I need.

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

erosiaart ( ) posted Tue, 12 April 2011 at 2:12 AM

Analog..thanks a million.. 

Chris.. wop! wop!! what happens to the sheep? the lambs grow into sheep... 

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 12 April 2011 at 8:03 AM
Forum Moderator

We eat them, Rosie, we eat them. With mint sauce, some roast potatoes and vegetables.

erosiaart ( ) posted Tue, 12 April 2011 at 10:16 AM

rflmao. My tummy is aching from all that laughing.. Aren't sheep and lambs so adorable that you just can't stop talking of them and have to have them hopping all over every post?? hmmm?? nudge..nudge... 

talking of eating lamb.. come to think of it..i hardly get lamb here...very few butchers have them. get mostly goat.. goat steak, minced goat, goat curry, goat biryani, baked goat, goat burgers........  :woot: :tongue1:  or you can stick to boring chicken. 

now..can we get back to creating a computer or analog's computer?? My dream computer.. one that will render a dollhouse in 5 mins flat..and that too..render to disc with premium anti alaising, a gazillion lights, lots of glass, mirror and extreme complex mats and objs/obps. hdri,  and not a single crash ever.. 

and to be able to skype, read my news, the forum, fb and others,, and ... 

the icing on the cake..or the cherry? 

iron man 2's computer..see thru, motion based, air based, voice activated, and brilliantly smarter than me..  

sigh....

UVDan ( ) posted Tue, 12 April 2011 at 10:26 AM
Forum Moderator

**Starts planning escape.**

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

erosiaart ( ) posted Tue, 12 April 2011 at 11:03 AM

UV Dan.. Lol!! he's safe with me.. got him curled up under my chair.. munching a bale of grass! :-p 

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Tue, 12 April 2011 at 4:25 PM

Quote - We eat them, Rosie, we eat them. With mint sauce, some roast potatoes and vegetables.

Do you use any worcester sauce with that?

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Tue, 12 April 2011 at 4:32 PM

Getting back on Topic :)

I havent tried it yet, but I wonder if I'm going to run into problems,  rendering with a 64-Bit machine and 32-Bit render nodes.

erosiaart ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2011 at 3:39 AM · edited Wed, 13 April 2011 at 3:39 AM

Attached Link: http://comics.com/rose_is_rose/2011-04-13/

does that look familiar to anyone??  :-p 

ahem.. and if you go read the last two previous days..that was me.. 

TheBryster ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2011 at 8:36 AM
Forum Moderator

ROTFLMAO!   Yup! That's our Rosie! :lol:

bobbystahr ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2011 at 4:58 PM

Pretty much me as well except it's always modern ones giving me the grief...My Amiga never caused me any grief,,,,just a lot of waiting for renders for days, heh heh heh

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2011 at 5:07 PM

Quote - Pretty much me as well except it's always modern ones giving me the grief...My Amiga never caused me any grief,,,,just a lot of waiting for renders for days, heh heh heh

On the rare ocassion when the Amiga crashed, you would get a nice "Guru Meditation" message.   Didnt understand what the numbers meant, unless you worked for Commodore but it was nice. :)

bobbystahr ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2011 at 5:50 PM · edited Wed, 13 April 2011 at 5:50 PM

LOL...ah yes much more calming than a BSOD.. ...

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2011 at 8:50 PM

file_467804.gif

For those who may wonder what Bobby and are talking about.  We are talking about one of the greatest computers ever built.  Light years head of its time. 

Stereo Sound, Multi Tasking and 4096 Colors all that with 512K of Ram.

You could print something and work on something else at the same time.  Never heard of before, that time.

A Guru meditation is like Windows Blue Screen of Death but nicer and more calmer looking.

skiwillgee ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2011 at 11:50 PM

I have a 2500 I'm putting on craig's list.  Anyone here want it.  I really hate parting with it.

It was way ahead of everything.  When some "Big Blue" dummy would poke fun I'd ask them if they could listen to music and format a disk at the same time.  They shut up quickly.

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Thu, 14 April 2011 at 9:50 PM

Quote - I have a 2500 I'm putting on craig's list.  Anyone here want it.  I really hate parting with it.

It was way ahead of everything.  When some "Big Blue" dummy would poke fun I'd ask them if they could listen to music and format a disk at the same time.  They shut up quickly.

If those things didnt weigh like a tank I would consider it.. but I could imagine shipping to Canada would be very expensive. :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.