Fri, Oct 4, 12:17 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: Need to remove white outline around bird?

MikeMoss ( ) posted Mon, 18 April 2011 at 10:57 PM · edited Tue, 27 August 2024 at 7:28 AM

Hi

I posted a while back about needing a bird.

Well I downloaded the Cardinal from Content Paradise and had problems with is looking like it was flying through my character even when it was behind.

I never did solve that one, but now I have a use for it in a new video I'm doing where it doesn't fly behind my character.

I got it all set up flies through the scene wings flapping looks great.

The only problem is that there is a white outline around the Wings and Tail.

It looks like it is selected but it's not and I can't figure out anyway to get rid of the outline and have the bird blend into the background.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for the help...

Mike

If you shoot a mime, do you need a silencer?

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2011 at 7:33 AM

This may be a shot in the dark but it could be that the texture filtering on the birds textures is set to quality and not none.  The quality setting has a tendancy to shrink the image map by a single pixel all round, which in this case may be causing your white outline.

In the material room, on the wing materials image node you should see the texture filtering option towards the bottom of the image node.  If it is set to quality, change it to none.

Hope it works :)

John

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2011 at 7:37 AM

The other thing to try - besides Fugazi's wise suggestion - additionally is rendering against a dark background. I've seen this effect happen when rendering against light backgrounds more often than not.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2011 at 1:02 PM

Wise? me, you must be thinking of someone else ;p

Quote - The other thing to try - besides Fugazi's wise suggestion - additionally is rendering against a dark background. I've seen this effect happen when rendering against light backgrounds more often than not.

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

MikeMoss ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2011 at 5:51 PM · edited Tue, 19 April 2011 at 5:59 PM

Hi

Here is a screen shot....

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff491/nohjekim/BirdinFlight.jpg

You can see the double line around the wings an tail.

It looks like there should be a way to turn this off.

I just can't figure out how.

This is part of an animated video and doesn't get rendered.

It's output in the Preview mode at 1600 by 1200 and then reduced to smaller sizes in the final output.

Mike

MikeMoss ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2011 at 6:05 PM

Hi

When you mentioned rendering it started me thinking and sure enough once it's rendered the outline disapears.

But I can't render a whole video since it would takes days if it ever completed at all.

So I guess unless there is a way to turn it off this isn't going to work.

Mike

millighost ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2011 at 6:50 PM

Quote - ...

But I can't render a whole video since it would takes days if it ever completed at all.

So I guess unless there is a way to turn it off this isn't going to work.

Mike

Did you try to render in Preview mode? In the Animation menu: Make Movie -> Movie Settings: for Renderer: choose Preview. Then "Make Movie". This is very fast but does not leave the Preview-ornaments in the images. You can also try to use the the SreeD-Renderer in the render-settings, which looks slightly better in some cases and still very fast.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2011 at 7:17 PM

haven't seen those lines before, but there are svl. prefs for preview render that may get rid of them, e.g. turn off specular, make sure transmap hasn't been gamma-corrected, adjust trans edge and fall-off, transmap pure black et al..  it looks like a village in the dales.

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2011 at 7:31 PM · edited Tue, 19 April 2011 at 7:32 PM

It is the result of antialiasing where the background colour bleeds into the object edges by a pixel or two in order to blend into that colour background.

I tend to render against a black background if the object I'm rendering is dark. There is still a pixel rim around the edge of the object, but because it's black, it looks ok.  However, the caveat is a white object, for example a wedding dress.  I render those against a white background so that the pixel edge is white and blends into the white dress.

There is no way so far as I know, to turn off antialiasing in Poser.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

MikeMoss ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2011 at 11:17 PM

Did you try to render in Preview mode? In the Animation menu: Make Movie -> Movie Settings: for Renderer: choose Preview. Then "Make Movie". This is very fast but does not leave the Preview-ornaments in the images. You can also try to use the the SreeD-Renderer in the render-settings, which looks slightly better in some cases and still very fast. 

Hi

Yes this is the way that I normally create my videos.

I use Preview mode when I create the .AVI files.

I don't think this is an artifact caused by antialiasing, if you look closely you will see that the white line is a double line and it only follows around the outside of the Wings and the tip of the tail, not the whole bird.

I will check for the other settings mentioned, but I place stuff like this in my videos all the time and have never seen this before.

Just to check I stuck several other animals etc, into he same video and the outline didn't appear around any part of any of them.

Mike

millighost ( ) posted Wed, 20 April 2011 at 4:56 AM

Quote - Did you try to render in Preview mode? In the Animation menu: Make Movie -> Movie Settings: for Renderer: choose Preview. Then "Make Movie". This is very fast but does not leave the Preview-ornaments in the images. You can also try to use the the SreeD-Renderer in the render-settings, which looks slightly better in some cases and still very fast. 

Hi

Yes this is the way that I normally create my videos.

I use Preview mode when I create the .AVI files.

In the image you have given it reads "Main camera" in the upper left, which means this is actual preview mode, not a render with the preview renderer. So you could try this: In the render settings set the renderer to "Preview" (choose the Preview tab) and render only the frame (or one of them) that contains the strange white lines. Are they still there? If they are, i would suspect that the bird figure might contain some handles or so for easier posing; look through the body parts of the bird and make body parts invisible to check if there is any body part that causes these lines.

MikeMoss ( ) posted Wed, 20 April 2011 at 9:43 AM

Hi

I think you are right, I think these are added to the bird to make is easy to grab.

They do go away if you render an indivigual frame.

I'll try and see if I can find them listed as a seperate item.

Mike

MikeMoss ( ) posted Wed, 20 April 2011 at 9:57 AM

Hi

That was it!!!

When I opened the properties for the wing and deselected the visible box the white line disapeared but the wing was still visible.

It is impossible to select the wing it'self once you do this, so, that's the reason for the handle.

I never thought to try this because I just assumed that the wing would become invisible if I unclicked the box.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.