Fri, Sep 20, 6:34 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: How do you think the new Daz 4 compares to Poser?

CobraBlade ( ) posted Fri, 17 June 2011 at 8:56 PM

Figure incompatibility certainly isn't a new thing between the two. It was thanks to being a DAZ Studio user I took so long to adopt AnimeDoll. I didn't want to get her until I had a male counterpart to go with her, but AD Boy wasn't compatible with DAZ Studio 2. So I had to wait until DS3.

AD Boy rendered in DAZ Studio

Poser scripts by Snarlygribbly

stewer ( ) posted Sat, 18 June 2011 at 2:03 AM

Quote - People in the fora regularly confused both problems though and started to argue even though I posted detailed screenshots, and after a while I simply got tired trying to explain the differences.

That's why we would like you to report it to SM Tech Support instead. Web forums are not a good tool for bug reports.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Tue, 21 June 2011 at 10:19 AM

there's a few features i like in DS4. 

it lets you set a smoothing angle on a material zone.
Poser has the assign smoothing id, but never was able to figure out how to set the angle.

it has a drop down box to change .uvs set.  from what i read in the Daz forums, this isn't the same as being able to load a remap of a figure.

i dream of being able to save a hair growth group as an injection file. 😄

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

RHaseltine ( ) posted Tue, 21 June 2011 at 1:58 PM

Smoothing in Poser is an object setting, so the angle is an object property.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Tue, 21 June 2011 at 2:21 PM

according to the P7 reference manual, assigning a smoothing ID should make a hard edge along the smoothing area.  but i don't see a hard edge

i prefer not to use the global smooth polygons on the render options

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

millighost ( ) posted Tue, 21 June 2011 at 4:15 PM

file_470096.jpg

> Quote - according to the P7 reference manual, assigning a smoothing ID should make a hard edge along the smoothing area.  but i don't see a hard edge

The smoothing ids are the just the smoothing groups that can also be found in obj-files. They actually  do not smooth polygons at all, but they do interpolate the normals, ie smooth the normals, hence the name. If you cannot see them it is likely because you have a model that has the smoothing already built into the geometry. But you can see it when using e.g. a simple model like a sphere (see illustration). The "seam" between the left and right halves of the sphere (render: small on the lower right) is the rim of the smoothing group i have assigned to the right half (with the group-tool, big illustration).

Quote - i prefer not to use the global smooth polygons on the render options

You are right about that. The render options' smoothing does something completely different. This one is more like a kind of smoothing displacement map, that actually modifies geometry during rendering.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2011 at 8:34 AM

ooh.  thanks 😄  i was trying to use it to make like a spandex wrinkle for 2nd skin.

SteveJax ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2011 at 2:11 PM

Quote - > Quote - People in the fora regularly confused both problems though and started to argue even though I posted detailed screenshots, and after a while I simply got tired trying to explain the differences.

That's why we would like you to report it to SM Tech Support instead. Web forums are not a good tool for bug reports.

Oh but that would make too much sense and not garner enough attention to oneself.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Thu, 23 June 2011 at 9:22 AM

i like reading the buggy bits posts, so if i encounter the same thing i don't feel so insane.

another comparison,

in DS4 new genesis, you can't make body parts invisible.  or on the clothes for genesis.  Daz posted they are working on a solution to change this.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 23 June 2011 at 9:44 AM · edited Thu, 23 June 2011 at 9:52 AM

Quote - i like reading the buggy bits posts, so if i encounter the same thing i don't feel so insane.

another comparison,

in DS4 new genesis, you can't make body parts invisible.  or on the clothes for genesis.  Daz posted they are working on a solution to change this.

Interestingly enough, I just asked a question over in the DAZ forum about that very subject.

I wonder if they'll find a solution for that as quickly as they did for that Shoulder problem ov V4's? Oh... wait!

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Thu, 07 July 2011 at 11:31 AM

DS4 has the subdivision feature.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.