Wed, Sep 18, 11:17 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Polygon smoothing (I think) issue

Cyberwoman ( ) posted Wed, 29 June 2011 at 3:36 PM · edited Wed, 18 September 2024 at 11:14 AM

Okay, I'm working on a pair of shoes for Poser, modeled in Wings 3D. I export them as OBJ and import them into Poser, and they look like this:

Poser shoe with flaws marked

I have the weird parts pointed out with red arrows. Does anyone know why Poser makes those strange shading spots, and what I can do to make it go away? They don't show up in Wings' smoothed view, and they show up in renders. They also show up in node-based textures; I haven't tried putting a JPEG texture map on them to see if that makes them go away (but at any rate, I'm not using texture maps on the finished shoes so I need them to work with node-based textures).

~*I've made it my mission to build Cyberworld, one polygon at a time*~

Watch it happen at my technology blog, Building Cyberworld.

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 29 June 2011 at 3:46 PM

Could you post the wires? Looks like the mesh is pinching.

Laurie

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 29 June 2011 at 4:12 PM

Have you chosen a crease angle in Poser or did you just hope for the best?

If the areas in question are transitioning locally to being under the crease angle, but elsewhere it was over, then that would happen. Not the only possible reason - but a likely one.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Cyberwoman ( ) posted Wed, 29 June 2011 at 4:40 PM

What is a crease angle? I guess I didn't set one, in that case.

Here are a couple of wireframe pics. This one shows backfacing polygons, although I hid the sole of the shoe in an attempt at keeping it from being an indistinguishable mass of lines:

wireframe with back polygons

Here is one with backfacing polygons removed:

wireframe with no backfacing polygons

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 29 June 2011 at 4:51 PM · edited Wed, 29 June 2011 at 4:53 PM

A crease is a shared polygon boundary, across which no smoothing is performed.

Poser defines a crease angle for each actor in properties. Edge angles below this angle are considered "smooth" and the renderer will attempt to simulate a continuous smooth surface, instead of a pair of flat polygons, passing through that edge. Edges above the crease angle are considered creases (tight folds) and smoothing doesn't happen.

In a long row of polygons if some are above the crease angle and some below, you'll get mysterious regions of sharp crease followed by no crease, even though to your eye they are nearly identical regions.

The default crease angle is 80 degrees.

Crease/smooth decisions are only made where adjacent polygons are welded by common vertices. If polygons are not welded, their joined edges are merely an illusion and are never smoothed out.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

kawecki ( ) posted Wed, 29 June 2011 at 11:05 PM

In the left side of the wireframe image it seems to be a not welded vertex or a degenerate quad, this can be the cause of the left side bump in the rendering.

In the right side I see nothing in the wireframe image, but it can be the same problem.

I also can see something similar more to the center of the wireframe, but in this case it produce no visible artifact in the rendering.

Check the mesh in detail to see if this problem do exist or are only my eyes

Stupidity also evolves!

Cyberwoman ( ) posted Thu, 30 June 2011 at 9:34 PM

Thanks a million for the suggestions, everyone! I was about to give up on this project...

It turned out to be a crease-angle issue. I changed the crease angle from 80 to 95, added a few practically microscopic bevels to keep some edges sharp, and it works perfectly now.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.