Mon, Jul 8, 7:10 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 26 1:13 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: OT: Diver in middle of sharks feeding and interacting

tom271 ( ) posted Thu, 11 August 2011 at 11:56 AM · edited Thu, 18 April 2024 at 12:31 AM

Attached Link: http://www.ktlkam1150.com/cc-common/mainheadlines3.html?feed=426712&article=8931886

I never seen this behavior in sharks before...  Good music..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Navim ( ) posted Thu, 11 August 2011 at 12:19 PM

Observed "sleeping" sharks in the many channels in the keys. They will park themselves and allow the current to provide the necessary water flow over the gill plates. Quite placid until you grab them by the tail and then lookout!

Rayraz ( ) posted Thu, 11 August 2011 at 12:26 PM · edited Thu, 11 August 2011 at 12:31 PM

I think the behaviour might have to do with the nose of the sharks, see how the diver keeps touching it? Sharks sense electromagnetic fields thanx to clusters of sensors on their head. Touching the nose might confuse those senses or influence them in such a way that the shark becomes docile.

The effect is called "tonic immobility" i know it happens with some sharks if you turn them upside down. Its said turning the shark upside down makes its electromagnetic sensors confused, so it might also work with touching the nose for some types of sharks.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Navim ( ) posted Thu, 11 August 2011 at 12:46 PM

My experience with wild animals leads me to believe there is no such thing as a docile wild creature. Observed a domestically raised female bengal placed in a cage with a docile wild male years ago. He was docile until she left the transport cage and walked into the enclosure. The male leaped across a distance of about 20 feet and killed the female with one blow. Have observed many large marine creatures suddenly go wild and have the scars to prove it. I have to wonder what these bigfoot hunters think they are going to do if they actually manage to confront one. Eyewitness reports indicate even kodiaks avoid the mature males. I wouldn't want anything less than an elephant gun with me but the sense of immortality among men is relative to their youth.

Quest ( ) posted Thu, 11 August 2011 at 10:40 PM

Great clip Tom271 brought back many memories of my diving days. In 1997 a whale watching group witnessed a Killer Whale (Orca) flipping a great white shark over on its back. This seemed to put the great white into a state of sleep known as tonic immobility. Needless to say the Orca proceeded to dine on the great white.  Since then I’ve seen documentaries of biologists tagging sharks for remote satellite sensing using this same technique…fascinating stuff really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xk0fc_FzUs

As for the music, one of my all time favorites growing up and one of the sweetest Spanish classics; “Malaguena Salerosa”. This is a newer and beautiful rendition they play but this is the why I remember it...enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjNN_23aV-E&feature=related

tom271 ( ) posted Thu, 11 August 2011 at 11:17 PM

I guess you noticed the music...   I rather was taken by the sinking of the music to the visual...   very nice presentation..  Malaguena Salerosa is also one of my favorite songs..  I learned to play it on the guitar but my singing is not so good..  :)

The Orcas must have learned this trick about sharks..  I never thought for a moment that a great white could take a killer shark unless already injured..  Never thought KS  hunted them either...

thanks for the links...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

erosiaart ( ) posted Sat, 13 August 2011 at 11:38 AM

and the feeding of the sharks? i thought they'd have chomped his hand!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.