Sun, Oct 6, 8:10 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: model update

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 03 September 2011 at 10:43 PM · edited Thu, 05 September 2024 at 5:25 PM

file_472544.jpg

I think for the first thing I have ever tried to model, this thing is coming along pretty good. I threw a quick texture on it, just so it looks better, because of how I UV mapped it. I have a couple more things I want to do with it, and then it's off to the next step.

And I have absolutely no idea what the next step is. I create it, UV map it, export it as .obj file, then what? I want the top engines to be able to move, so I am guessing I have to rig it, right? Would I use bones for that?

I guess I will cross that bridge when I get there. I only rendered the one pic, so you can't see there is a 3rd engine in the back.

How am I doing for a rookie?

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sat, 03 September 2011 at 11:29 PM · edited Sat, 03 September 2011 at 11:30 PM

Quote - How am I doing for a rookie?

Quite good, really. You'd being importing your object into Poser and rigging it. Since for me that's still a new science, I'm afraid I can't be that much help. Yet.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 03 September 2011 at 11:55 PM

Thanks for looking! It's still quite rough. I am going to add some thruster engines on it and maybe windows... It won't have any running lights, though. It's a fortress for my superhero, and when it's flying, it hovers mostly, and generates its own clouds as a cloaking device.

I tried rigging before, and it didn't work out so well. I have to figure out how to do that before too long...

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 04 September 2011 at 4:03 AM

Rigging hard surface models such as spacecraft, robots and the like is much easier than organic stuff.

Scale to the size you need for Poser   Separate out all the parts in Wings, keeping them in position.

Export each one.

Import each one into Poser with all the import options unchecked.  If you've done this right, they should all come in with the correct positions relative to each other.

Save a PZ3 just in case anything goes wrong at this stage.

Go to the Hierarchy Editor and set up the relationships between each part by dragging the names of the parts to the main sections.  For example, if you have a part named ShipMain which has a moving part called Engine attached, you drag "Engine" on to "ShipMain".

Note: Do not ever name a part "Body".  It's a reserved word in Poser and it will throw a fit if you use it.

Repeat until all your parts are attached to each other, then select the main part of your model and click the "Create New Figure" button.  Sometimes you have to deselect and reselect the main part (a Poser "feature") to get it to work.

A dialog box will appear, asking for a name.  Call your new model something useful and hit OK.

New Poser.  

Go to New Figures.  Your model is in there.  Now you can set up the joint parameters using the Joint Editor.  Someone else can tell you about that.  :)

Save your model frequently. 

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

shuy ( ) posted Sun, 04 September 2011 at 5:15 AM

Do not do it. You can prepare obj in Wings instead importing each body part separately.

You can export from wings grouped obj.

Using "loop cut" slice your spaceship for bones. Select spaceship and click "ungroup". Now each body part is separate mesh. Select each of them and rename (it is easier in Wings then in Poser). Look each created group hidding other objects, because "loop cut" create new polygon. Make new polygons "hole".

Now export obj. In export option select UV coordinates and normals/smooth.

If you import this obj to Poser you will have mesh with groups ready to accept bones.

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 04 September 2011 at 10:04 AM

Thanks guys. I will give this a try with what I have later on. If I screw it up,  I can just delete it, right?

I appreciate all the help everyone is giving me. Perhaps if I do this thing right, I'll offer it as a freebie if anyone wants it...

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 04 September 2011 at 10:25 AM

Ummmm, when I renamed all the parts in Wings and exported them, they still had their Wings default names. What did I miss?

shuy ( ) posted Sun, 04 September 2011 at 10:54 AM · edited Sun, 04 September 2011 at 10:55 AM

Quote - Ummmm, when I renamed all the parts in Wings and exported them, they still had their Wings default names. What did I miss?

What version do you use?

You may ungroup whole mesh, rename and group again. Object must be ungrouped in wings and exported.

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 04 September 2011 at 11:19 AM

I got it figured out. I simply deleted the UV mapping, ungrouped the whole thing and then renamed the parts. Thank you. I was able to successfully export them.

I inported it in Poser, did a quick hierarcy setup, and played with it a bit. I figured that out, but I deleted everything so I could start over and get it perfect. There are still some bugs. Plus, Poser decided to stop working when I went to save it as a .pz3. Go figure.

I will mess with setting it up a bit more, and when I am ready, hopefully I can find a tutorial on using the joint editor. I attempted it, but screwed it up in the process.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.