Sun, Oct 6, 7:49 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: What software do I need?

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 18 September 2011 at 1:53 PM · edited Sun, 15 September 2024 at 12:26 AM

I want to create a texture map using a photograph of my wife on a face that I created using LOOXIS Faceworx. My intention is to use the same picture for the texture that I used for the head.

I see how the Poser models are a face pic that is stretched out across the UV map. How is that done? I have GIMP 2.6 as a photo editor, but I don't think it will do that. So, I am asking which software is used to create those texture maps?

Thanks!

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

MacMyers ( ) posted Sun, 18 September 2011 at 2:03 PM

Poser has a face room where you can shape a number of different heads and apply both a front and a side texture (from photos) which are combined to form a textured head and unwrapped as the image you see.

“So, roll me further B_t__h!”

26Fahrenheit ( ) posted Sun, 18 September 2011 at 2:04 PM

photoshop or gimp etc etc  and hours and hours of training and failing to get it right..

there is no copy cut and paste tool .. everything is done by hand ..

Gimp is ok for texturing ..

HERE are my FREEBEE's

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 18 September 2011 at 2:18 PM

I found a tutorial on the web that shows me how to use photoshop to do it. I can see it will take hours to get it right. The tutorial is almost an hour long!

I just need to figure out how to make those UV maps like that. I am sure I can figure it out.

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

TheAnimaGemini ( ) posted Sun, 18 September 2011 at 2:23 PM

For UV map you need a extra software. 

There are some free on the web. :)

La vie est éternelle. L'amour est immortel.

“Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.”
― Marcus Aurelius,

26Fahrenheit ( ) posted Sun, 18 September 2011 at 2:31 PM

Quote - I found a tutorial on the web that shows me how to use photoshop to do it. I can see it will take hours to get it right. The tutorial is almost an hour long!

I just need to figure out how to make those UV maps like that. I am sure I can figure it out.

If you are going to use V4 orso for it then you dont need to UV map..

Those UV maps are @ DAZ site.. 

And for poser figures im sure the UV maps are online too somewhere

Chris

HERE are my FREEBEE's

Teyon ( ) posted Sun, 18 September 2011 at 2:40 PM

Poser figures usually contain UVTemplates within the runtime texture folder. You should have a look there if you're using one of the standard Poser characters. If using Daz figures, as stated above, you should find templates at their site.

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 18 September 2011 at 4:29 PM

Quote - For UV map you need a extra software. 

There are some free on the web. :)

Yeah, I have everything I need to create the UV map, and do the texture. I just wasn't sure of the technique.

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 18 September 2011 at 4:31 PM · edited Sun, 18 September 2011 at 4:35 PM

Quote - If you are going to use V4 orso for it then you dont need to UV map.. Those UV maps are @ DAZ site.. 

And for poser figures im sure the UV maps are online too somewhere

Chris

Chris, I created my own head using Faceworx and Wings3D. I don't use ANY V3, V4... etc. I tried V4 once, and I don't really like her. I am probably the only one who feels that way, but I started out with Poser models, and I like them more.

See above post for what I am using.

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 18 September 2011 at 4:34 PM

Quote - Poser figures usually contain UVTemplates within the runtime texture folder. You should have a look there if you're using one of the standard Poser characters. If using Daz figures, as stated above, you should find templates at their site.

I created my own head. I wonder why no one is seeing that in my post? I am not using a Poser or Daz character. I created a NEW one.

I also figured out how to UV map it so I could apply the texture, but it is a pain in the buttocks. I will keep plugging at it though, because my wife said I could buy some cool software if I created her as one of my movie characters, and I really want After Effects...

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 18 September 2011 at 5:19 PM

Your problem afterwards would be rigging the new model for facial expressions and animation.  But the texturing will take considerable time pending if your UV mapping is spread out correctly.  Adding photo crops for specific facial areas is basically cut and paste with resizing and filling in with skin coloring.  The real challenge is creating the bump maps for dermal pores, wrinkles and scars. 

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 18 September 2011 at 7:42 PM

Quote - Your problem afterwards would be rigging the new model for facial expressions and animation.  But the texturing will take considerable time pending if your UV mapping is spread out correctly.  Adding photo crops for specific facial areas is basically cut and paste with resizing and filling in with skin coloring.  The real challenge is creating the bump maps for dermal pores, wrinkles and scars. 

Yeah, luckily for me, my wife is a Filipina, who is 38 but looks likes she's in her 20's. Hardly any wrinkles, and no scars at all. It will be the pores that have given me a challenge. I asked her to take some good close up shots so I can use them. She is excited, but I told her not to hold her breath. It's going to take while.

Is it possible to use the new head on say, Sydney's body, and just apply the rigging? I know you can replace her head as a prop, but that doesn't include the rigging.

Maybe I will just create the whole body and rig it later...

shuy ( ) posted Mon, 19 September 2011 at 2:38 PM

If your head model is not very detailed you can try UV map with Roadkill and Wings. First you should unfold face in Roadkill and later adjust in Wings.

I always had problem with details in Roadkill, then I adjust map in another software which let me manipulate not only with verticles, but with polygons or edges. UV mapper let you do it, but you cannot translate with number value. Moreover selection is difficult.

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 19 September 2011 at 3:42 PM

Quote - If your head model is not very detailed you can try UV map with Roadkill and Wings. First you should unfold face in Roadkill and later adjust in Wings.

I always had problem with details in Roadkill, then I adjust map in another software which let me manipulate not only with verticles, but with polygons or edges. UV mapper let you do it, but you cannot translate with number value. Moreover selection is difficult.

I didn't have any problems at all with the UV mapping of the head. My only problem is creating the texture for it. The pics that I used were not very detailed, they were taken with a cell phone camera. I asked my wife to take some good portrait and profile shots with our good digital camera and email them to me. So once I get those, then I will start the grueling process of mapping the texture.

I will then export SydneyG2 into wings and replace her head with my own, and then practice rigging her in Poser. I have read a lot on rigging in Poser, and I know I am going to have a few problems when I start out, since I have never done it, and I don't really know where to start.

shuy ( ) posted Mon, 19 September 2011 at 7:39 PM

Ok. I though that you want to create UV map fitting to existing photo.

Head transplantation  was mentioned here:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3586775&ebot_calc_page#message_3586775

You need to weld necks.

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 19 September 2011 at 7:44 PM

Quote - Ok. I though that you want to create UV map fitting to existing photo.

Head transplantation  was mentioned here:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3586775&ebot_calc_page#message_3586775

You need to weld necks.

I will have to weld it to her neck then, my figure is just the head. Faceworx is looking for programmers or something to help them improve the process and add the neck, but for now, I will just have to make sure I can weld it then.

Thanks for that.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.