Mon, Oct 21, 5:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 5:20 pm)

Subject: ***+++---BEHOLD---+++*** Hair Room Victory - Final - Hall of Famer

Photopium ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2011 at 6:22 PM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 2:18 AM

file_476842.jpg

The Best Test Render I've ever had.

Long Hair, Wavy, Right-Parted with the Balance Tossed Left.  Minimal, if any, guidehairs breaking surface of skin.

Service Pack 1 goes a long way towards improving the simulator, but you don't need it.  All you need to do is practice with the hair styling tools and trial-and-error the settings.  I've been at this for about a month now, but combined hours are probably 20 if you don't count rendering.  From being a clueless noob to hair room to this.

This is the hair I've always dreamed of having since Poser 4. 

This rendered in under 10 minutes without SSS or IDL.  Later on in the thread I'll post a SSS and IDL version. 

The only modifications I did to the render out of poser is to play with Gamma and color vibrance a bit.

msg24_7 ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2011 at 6:29 PM

This looks fantastic!

I wish, I had your patience... that's why I have used dynamic hair for grass only :))

Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present.

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2011 at 6:47 PM

Looks nice :).

Laurie

geep ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2011 at 7:06 PM

Nicely done. 👍

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

Photopium ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2011 at 7:07 PM

Thanks...was worried I was just hallucinating or something.   I'm not used to actually getting what I want out of Poser after all these years!

richardson ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2011 at 7:21 PM

Nice one! Specular works on the curls quite nicely. It's just the top that seems off. Nice 300Euro french maroon hair color otherwise...;p

estherau ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2011 at 7:26 PM

great.  Looking forward to seeing if long straight shiny silky hair is also possible.  If so then I might give it a try.

Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

estherau ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2011 at 7:27 PM

actually that first example above is truly great!!!

estherau ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2011 at 7:27 PM

now if you change her pose will the hair just naturally follow?

Photopium ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2011 at 7:35 PM

file_476851.jpg

I don't have any top lighting, that could be the problem with the top? 

Here's a view from the back...can't declare total victory just yet.  Having no over-lapping hair groups in the back leads to pattern baldness.  This is a fairly easy fix, no worries.  As for the rest of the hair...lush and good, IMO.  For all the back-side rendering I do (Not much) I'm satisfied with it.

Photopium ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2011 at 7:36 PM

estherau - My very next step is going to be to pose her and dynamic the clothes and hair and see where it gets me lol.  Give me an hour or so.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2011 at 7:40 PM

This is really impressive, WtB... WOW. One more thing to spend time with. There just aren't enough hours in the day!

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

richardson ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2011 at 7:42 PM

that could be the problem with the top?

I mean the breakup of specular. It seems helmut like on top there. The rest is broken up nicely.

You have a good thing going here ..

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2011 at 7:42 PM

Quote - Looks nice :).

Laurie

Laurie - I found your brain cell, and you ain't having it back... just doubled my inventory with it! And I'll need it to do the hair room next - that is, if I ever get to it before the next version of Poser comes out. :biggrin:

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

Photopium ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2011 at 8:24 PM

The Breakdown:

There are five groups of hair parented to an invisible skullcap.  Each group will have it's own simulation.  Poser will drape automatically without adding frames, but since we are posing I have added 15 frames for everything to get into place.  Better results might be had by being more patient.

Poser is kind by beginning your simulation from the style you made, rather than resetting the hair.  It does not work the other way...if you sim first then try to add addtional style, it will reset the hair altogether.

The trick for me has been the left top stuff, getting Poser to realize that I want the hair on top of the head to stay pretty much in place, and then start hanging and simming from the top of the left side (almost as if there's a bobby pin there.)  Instead, poser immediatly uses it's gravity to pull the hair straight down over the face.

Why?  I set root stiffness to .333 and falloff to .444.  should keep the roots in place to almost halfway down the hair shaft.  I could be wrong.

Figured it out.  Root Stiffness is 0-100. Keep it fairly high, 80-95 is good, and the falloff is 0-1, so eyeball the length of your hair and figure out what percentage you want of the hair, from the root, to stay stiff.  I think that understanding these two settings will save everyone a lot of pain when running hair sims.  Afterall, you don't want too much going on above the ears, the real dynamics begin towards the middle (most of the time).

I am keeping gravity at  -.5, spring strength 0, air damping .05, spring damping .05, bend resistance 0, position force 0.  I'm working on the clothes now, so I'll have a render up of what Poser did in a few.

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2011 at 8:37 PM

Wow! That looks awesome!  Very excellent!

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Photopium ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2011 at 9:26 PM · edited Fri, 30 December 2011 at 9:27 PM

file_476862.jpg

Okay, simming to pose not so great, but It's trying to do what I want it to do, so I'm missing a setting somewhere, I think.  By the time I figure it out, I could do it all manually with time to spare.  Will continue to tinker with that aspect.

Photopium ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2011 at 11:43 PM

With Magnets instead and some scenery and better cloth sim

Photopium ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2011 at 11:47 PM

Attached Link: Gallery Image, wanted to maintain some size

With Magnets instead and some scenery and better cloth sim

Eric Walters ( ) posted Sat, 31 December 2011 at 12:07 AM

Fantastic work William. Other than the baldness- the rear render looked almost real.

kyoto_kid ( ) posted Sun, 01 January 2012 at 5:13 PM

Quote - With Magnets instead and some scenery and better cloth sim

...looks really nice.

...forsaken daughter is watching you.

[Intel Xeon 5660 Hyperthreading 6 core CPU, 24GB GSkill Ripjaws 1333 DDR3 Tri Channel RAM, Nvidia Titan-X GPU with 12GB GDDR5 & 3072 cores, 1 x AData 240 GB SSD (boot) + 1 x 2TB HDD, EGVA 850 G5 PSU Antec P-193 with more fans than Justin Bieber.]

Photopium ( ) posted Tue, 03 January 2012 at 2:19 PM

More experimentation shows that "Gravity" setting will affect how much poke through you end up with.  IN other words, you can have such strong gravity that it will over-ride the collision detection.  Not good.

estherau ( ) posted Tue, 03 January 2012 at 6:32 PM

that's disappointing news indeed.

Photopium ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 3:09 PM

file_478134.jpg

Turns out I really like how the "Wave" tool works on a high-poly strand! 

Shorter style with no Kink, only Wave Deformation.

estherau ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 5:39 PM

that is how my hair used to look  after I took out my plaits (braids)

Love esther

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.