Tue, Oct 1, 9:43 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: using cameras like movies

Artchitect ( ) posted Sat, 10 March 2012 at 8:19 PM · edited Sun, 18 August 2024 at 8:46 PM

i'm wondering how to manipulate the cameras during animation to work like movie cameras,  you know. how they switch cameras and angles. how do i do that?

bantha ( ) posted Sun, 11 March 2012 at 8:55 AM

You can animate cameras if you want to. Just save poses for them.  An even better way to do that would be to have several cameras in the scene and render each sequence from the camera you prefer. Render to images and do the compositing later.

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

MikeMoss ( ) posted Sun, 11 March 2012 at 12:16 PM · edited Sun, 11 March 2012 at 12:25 PM

Hi

Bantha is right, create all your shots in Poser, then import them all into your Video Editing program to put them together.

This takes the decision making about how long to stay on a shot and what order to place them out of poser and lets you expriment with it until you are satisfied with the results.

Sometimes it may be the background music, narration or other factors, that determine when you cut from shot to shot.

It's hard to make all those decisions in Poser.

If you want to zoom and pan during the shot just place the camera positions on the timeline as you do with the movements of you character and it will move from position to position at the rate you determine.

Mike

If you shoot a mime, do you need a silencer?

Dale B ( ) posted Sun, 11 March 2012 at 4:04 PM

You might want to do a little research, first. Take a look at some of Philippe Bouyer's Vue show reels; he gets the camera effects because he is also a cinematographer, and knows how those physical cameras behave. People don't realize it, but we've been trained to deal with that behavior.....for instance, a pursuit cam. In real life, when you have, say, a chopper come swinging into the intended viewing area, there is a brief delay =after= the chopper appears before the camera starts tracking it. This is the neural delay involved when you have the eye receive the data. Brain processes. Nerves send signals to muscles. Muscles have to overcome intertia and friction to move the camera. And you are going to overshoot your tracking at first, simply because during the delay time, the chopper has moved. It can take a couple of seconds for you to 'catch up' with what's happening.

That is why so much CG can look fake; we're used to watching cameras manipulated by people, and that involves a lot of things behind the scenes You don't see much action footage that doesn't have lag and tracking issues, simply because it takes a second or three to get things timed right. Yes, that footage is usually edited out, but if you watch carefully, you can still see the neural delay effect, particularly on long shots with lots of motion.

Each kind of camera has its own unique ways of behaving, and the closer you get to those behaviors, the more the audience's brains goes 'that's right'. CG cameras can do lots of things that physical cameras simply can not. The question is whether you -should- use a CG cam in a certain way...

You will also want to storyboard your intended action. This will save you a lot of aggrivation and wasted render time if you plan things out before hand. 

Terry Mitchell ( ) posted Sun, 11 March 2012 at 10:25 PM

Check out my old Godzilla animation on YouTube to see how I used camera angles (especially on the first helicopter scenes) at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJn-dmzuOpc

Intel Core I7 3090K 4.5 GhZ (overclocked) 12-meg cache CPU, 32 Gig DDR3 memory, GeoForce GTX680 2gig 256 Bit PCI Express 3.0 graphic card, 3 Western Difgital 7200 rpm 1 Tb SATA Hard Drives

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.