Tue, Sep 24, 12:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 12:07 am)

Subject: Helping Poser Newbies

colpolstudios ( ) posted Mon, 01 October 2012 at 2:12 AM

Thanks this is very good.

I got my answer by searching on utube but thanks for this.

piccolo_909 ( ) posted Mon, 08 October 2012 at 8:28 AM

This is more related to postwork in photoshop CS5, but most artists tend to use a softening technique on their poser renders which almost always makes it look much better than the default render. Here's a few tutorials on those and other basic postwork techniques:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsEC2PN5aNk

http://www.oferz.com/Tutorials/BloomEffect/BloomEffect.html

Kinder-1 ( ) posted Thu, 11 October 2012 at 8:36 AM

I am making a few tentative steps in Poser Pro 2012 and have Win 7 64 bit. I have read this thread and got great help. I've just downloaded EZSkin and have installed the EZSkin 2.pyc into the Python Scripts menu but when I try to run it (having loaded V4.2) I get a message which says "EZSkin requires build 21462 or later - apparently I have got build 16510. Anyone know what I can do to proceed?  Thanks.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Thu, 11 October 2012 at 9:48 AM

You should be able to download SR3 from Smith Micro's support pages for Poser - you will need your serial number to authenticate yourself.

sandman_max ( ) posted Sun, 28 October 2012 at 7:18 AM

Every now and then, I trip across a product that has a choice between cross-talk and not cross-talked but I can't really find a good explanation as to what that means.  Does anybody know where I can find more info? (I'm using PP2010)

basicwiz ( ) posted Sun, 28 October 2012 at 8:17 AM

Crosstalk refers to dial settings in the character figure being automatically picked up and emulated in the conforming clothing. It is a crude sort of autofit, assuming that all of the morphs in use are in both items.

To use or not to use?

99% of the time, I find it useful. The other 1% is a case where it seems to cause poke-through in some poses. In that case, it's a PITA.

sandman_max ( ) posted Sun, 28 October 2012 at 8:39 AM

That's good to know.  Thanks.

FruityFetus ( ) posted Thu, 01 November 2012 at 11:10 AM

Hey I'm using Poser 9 trying to animate a Poser model that was made during the time of Poser 5.  For some reason, the feet on the model don't have xtran, ytran, or ztran properties that I can edit, but I'm sure people with an earlier version of Poser could edit these values.  Is there anyway to fix this or do I need to find an earlier version of Poser to do so?

basicwiz ( ) posted Thu, 01 November 2012 at 1:50 PM

Get Scenefixer from Snarleygribley. It allows you to make any and all dials visible.

FruityFetus ( ) posted Thu, 01 November 2012 at 2:13 PM · edited Thu, 01 November 2012 at 2:25 PM

Thank you for the tip!  Unfortunately, I have no idea what to do with the file I just downloaded...

Edit:

Do I just run the file with Poser while it's open?

FruityFetus ( ) posted Thu, 01 November 2012 at 2:49 PM

Alright I was able to make the dials visible but I can't actually make any changes to them.  I try to scroll them, and they stay at zero?  Anything I can do to fix this or am I stuck?

Sunk99 ( ) posted Mon, 12 November 2012 at 11:33 AM

To use Poser or not?  I bought Poser but have yet to educate myself save the online freebie tutorials.  Before I spend a great deal of time, I wonder if I might ask a noob question. 

My wish is to create short animated films (3-8 minutes).  I can't draw.  I was hoping to buy precomposed figures, props, etc.  Many I see for sale look fine for my needs.  But, quite often I will need to tweak the prop.  Is it possible to edit a bought prop?  For instance, I need a haunted house with working window shutters.  The buildings for sell don't have shutters.  I'm sure I can create a shutter.  I just wonder if it is possible to add these to the bought model?

Thanks in advance.

AnneWertheim ( ) posted Wed, 14 November 2012 at 4:54 PM

How do I scale in Image Map?

I have a square in Poser and I choose in "Diffuse Color" a 2d Image Map. I can't figure how to scale the darn thing. Nothing happens to the image when I change U_Scale or V_Scale.

How do I do this?

Anne

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 14 November 2012 at 7:53 PM · edited Wed, 14 November 2012 at 8:01 PM

one can scale the square.  varying u-scale or v-scale may cause cropping or tiling.

hamas military leader killed in air strike
if no tiling desired, change image_mapped to none and/or use offset.

(img used above = redviper's private beach)

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 14 November 2012 at 8:55 PM

Anne, you question is a little ambiguous.  What exactly are you attempting to accomplish?  Placing an image on the square (or is it a flat plane), I understand, however, do you want to scale the square so the image looks correct? 

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Sun, 25 November 2012 at 2:31 PM

I need help doing a glass shader for a sword. I want to have edges like knapped flint, and some good refraction. The sword is very large one of Alpha Seeds new ones. I may imbed something inside, but that will be easier then finding these glass shaders... ;)

Ariana

PPS please include SS's for me!

Is there water in your future or is it being shipped away to be resold to you?
Water, the ultimate weapon...

www.futurefantasydesign.com

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 25 November 2012 at 8:19 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

this one uses the simple fresnel shader for the gold sphere and the solid glass sphere.  the one on the right is hollow glass.

lady gaga is the devil incarnate

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Sun, 25 November 2012 at 10:59 PM

Thank you Ms nancy, may i save the SS?

Ariana

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 25 November 2012 at 11:14 PM

yes.   bill was the first to post the simplified fresnel shader here.

[http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3894367&ebot_calc_page#message_3894367](http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3894367&ebot_calc_page#message_3894367 "don't miss "liz & dick" with lohan. 🤣")

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Tue, 27 November 2012 at 1:00 AM

Yep leave it to Bagginsbill to come up with nice posts like that!

Thank you too, BTW.

Any thoughts on creating the 'flint knapped' edge bum? If I go in and edit the jpeg images of the original sword to make the edge that is OK, right?

Ariana

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Tue, 27 November 2012 at 7:13 PM

if it's conchoidal fractures, my guess would be procedural using sword texmap and displ. channel.  series of half-moon depressions along edge.  in poser, black is no displ., hence remember the usual displ. math node(s).  bump channel might also work.

basicwiz ( ) posted Tue, 27 November 2012 at 7:49 PM · edited Thu, 29 November 2012 at 8:45 AM

This thread is to help Poser Newbies. I think this is a rather advaced discussion. Perhaps we could move it to a thread of it's own if it needs to continue?

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Tue, 27 November 2012 at 8:00 PM

oops, sorry about that!

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Wed, 28 November 2012 at 11:23 PM

Oh yes my apologies as well! I did think it was something that all poser peeps would benifit knowing.

Sorry.... o0

Ariana

Allstereo ( ) posted Sun, 09 December 2012 at 11:01 AM

Hello,

Here is a list of books related to Poser (Please, advise if errors occur in title, and author names). See the net for details and availability.

If you have comments, remarks and review about these books, feel free to contribute. I expect to regularly check this thread for move contribution to this post. This will be more easy for the newbies to find the relevant informations.

• Practical Poser 8: The Official Guide 3rd Edition by Richard H Schrand

• Poser 8 Revealed: The Official Guide by Kelly L. Murdock

• Practical Poser 7 by Denise Tyler

• Practical Poser 6 by Denise Tyler and Audre Vysniauskas

• Poser 4 Pro Pack f/x & Design by Richard H. Schrand

• Secrets of Poser Experts: Tips, Techniques, and Insights for Users of All Abilities: The e-frontier Official Guide by Daryl Wise and Jesse DeRooy

• **Character Animation with Poser Pro **by Larry Mitchell

• How'd You Do That?: Poser Character Creation For Beginners by David D'Champ

• The Art of Poser and Photoshop: The Official e-frontier Guide by Stephen Burns

• Secrets of Figure Creation with Poser 5 by B L Render

• Beyond Photoshop: Advanced techniques integrating Photoshop with Illustrator, Poser, Painter, Cinema 4D and ZBrush by Derek Lea

• Using 3D Studio MAX, Painter, and Poser: An Introduction to Computer-Assisted Design for the Theatre by L. J. Decuir

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 09 December 2012 at 4:25 PM · edited Sun, 09 December 2012 at 4:29 PM

there was one by shams mortier: poser 5 handbook.

denise also rewrote the PP2012 manual.

markschum ( ) posted Tue, 11 December 2012 at 10:53 PM

From an earlier post.

The x, y and z tran dials for the feet are hidden unless IK is ON for the feet.  You dont need a python script to unhide the dials unless you want to break the figure. Just turn IK on, and presto, there are the dials.

Bendinggrass ( ) posted Tue, 18 December 2012 at 7:09 PM

I need help in understanding where or in what part of PP 2012 I should install "ShaderWorks Library Manager."

Do I simply install it into the same location as Poser?

Thanks.  

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2012 at 1:28 AM

Quote - I need help in understanding where or in what part of PP 2012 I should install "ShaderWorks Library Manager."

Thanks.  

I have this also, is it a free standing add-on? Or a Script?

~A~

basicwiz ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2012 at 5:19 AM

I don't own this. Is there an install path specified in the readme that comes with the product?

Bendinggrass ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2012 at 7:22 AM

Quote - > Quote - I need help in understanding where or in what part of PP 2012 I should install "ShaderWorks Library Manager."

Thanks.  

I have this also, is it a free standing add-on? Or a Script?

~A~

I honestly don't know. I thought it was a script, but I could be wrong.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2012 at 8:23 AM

I would look at the readme of the product.  If there is no specific directions or guidance as to installation, open the zip and peek into the runtime folder for the Python Scripts folder.  Based on it's presence (or absence), install the folder into the main Poser runtime.  Otherwise, any external runtime should do. 

Helvegr ( ) posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 6:33 AM

Greetings! Well I am the supreme king of noobs so I would like to ask for a bit of help. If I can be helped at all lol. I am using Poser Pro 2012 and I am doing combat poses for a couple of characters. How do I save theses poses so that I can use them on different characters without having to start posing from scratch? Did that make any sense 😕

basicwiz ( ) posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 7:45 AM · edited Wed, 09 January 2013 at 7:46 AM

No problem at all:

After the poses are as you want them:

1. Select the first figure's BODY

2. Select the "POSE" icon on the Poser Library pane. Open to where you see existing pose folders. Click the "+" sign that will appear at the bottom of the pane when it is open.

3.A box saying "New Set" will pop up. Enter the name you wish to give to this pose.

1. Click "Select Subset". This brings up a list of the items in the scene. Deselect (uncheck) everything that is NOT a part of the character pose you are wanting to save. Don't forget to uncheck "ground." Click OK.

2. Back at the New Set box, click "OK"

3. The next box asks about Morph Channels and Body Transformations. If all you want to save is the pose... the position the figure is in... leave these unchecked. If you want to save morph/scale changes, check them. Click OK.

4. Another box pops up marked "Save Frames." If it is a static pose, leave it selected to "Single Frame." If it is an animation sequence, click multi Frame. Click OK

An icon will appear in the Poser Library pane with the pose you selected. Repeat this for each character using a unique name for the pose.

To load these poses, simply select the desired character, then click the pose icon. It will automagically position your new figure as desired!

Helvegr ( ) posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 2:18 PM

Thank you very very much for you help!! I know it's not easy to help such a sub level noob as I am but I greatley appreciate your effort :thumbupboth:

basicwiz ( ) posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 2:36 PM

No problem. Get back to me if you have problems.

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 3:30 PM

Quote - I would look at the readme of the product.  If there is no specific directions or guidance as to installation, open the zip and peek into the runtime folder for the Python Scripts folder.  Based on it's presence (or absence), install the folder into the main Poser runtime.  Otherwise, any external runtime should do. 

I haven't used this yet, but I just dropped it into poser.

Ariana

Amethst25 ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2013 at 11:20 AM

[quote dolphing]

I don't know if someone put this link already but in case no.

http://www.pxleyes.com/blog/2010/04/40-beginner-and-advanced-poser-tutorial-to-make-you-an-absolute-pro/

I went to this site and quite of few of the links no longer work :(

My Rendo Gallery

My DA Gallery

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2013 at 5:45 PM

Quote - [quote dolphing] I don't know if someone put this link already but in case no.

http://www.pxleyes.com/blog/2010/04/40-beginner-and-advanced-poser-tutorial-to-make-you-an-absolute-pro/

I went to this site and quite of few of the links no longer work :(

Seems like there is a problem with the page too... it goes white after about 8 seconds. Looked like it might have been nice from what I saw.

Ariana

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2013 at 9:52 PM · edited Mon, 14 January 2013 at 9:55 PM

I can only find two refs to artzone in last 45 days.

query=artzone

sandman_max ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2013 at 9:14 AM

I'm having a problem when I use a custom morph on a character, say PerfectShoulders on V4 and then put semi-sheer clothing on her.  You can see her nice smooth, well-shaped shoulders through the top but the top still has the old, ugly V4 original shoulders.  Since the default morphs don't really solve the fitting problem, I figured it was time to learn about deformers and magnets so I fix the clothing the way I want.

But what's the difference between magnets and deformers and when would I want to use each? 

basicwiz ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2013 at 10:08 AM

Go to page 563 of the Poser 9 manual for a co0mplete discussion of all of the deformers.

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2013 at 4:03 PM

Quote - Go to page 563 of the Poser 9 manual for a co0mplete discussion of all of the deformers.

I have PP2012, and there is a PDF, and 2 inserts, 1 pamphlet and 1 fold out. I did not get a Manual like earlier versions.

Would you know the 'heading' for the deformers in the pdf by chance?

Ariana

basicwiz ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2013 at 5:00 PM

The page I gave you is in the pdf manual. Sorry not to mentioon that. The search term I used was "deformers".

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 12:11 AM

Got it! Thank you!!!!

HugZ!
Ariana

Ewers ( ) posted Tue, 29 January 2013 at 8:03 PM

Hi all, I'm a mid-level Poser user...currently I'm using PP 2012. And I have two issues:

1. When I render items to either get a large picture or multiple characters it freezes and crashes, am I doing something wrong?

2. I installed DSON Importer so that I can use the Genesis Characters in 2012. When I try to upload the character it reads that the character is there but screen is BLANK.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong or did wrong?

Is there a step by step instruction on how to either trouble shoot, or uninstall and reinstall DSON properly so I can use me characters? Thanks in advance. 

basicwiz ( ) posted Tue, 29 January 2013 at 10:49 PM

We need to know your operating system, memory installed and whether you have applied the service releases before we can really help.

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2013 at 2:31 AM

Quote - Hi all, I'm a mid-level Poser user...currently I'm using PP 2012. And I have two issues:

1. When I render items to either get a large picture or multiple characters it freezes and crashes, am I doing something wrong?

2. I installed DSON Importer so that I can use the Genesis Characters in 2012. When I try to upload the character it reads that the character is there but screen is BLANK.

Is there a step by step instruction on how to either trouble shoot, or uninstall and reinstall DSON properly so I can use me characters? Thanks in advance. 

Have you tried to use the "Drop Figure to Floor" feature? I have found that sometimes Characters such as Creatures, or even occasionally V4 will be high up on the screen and you need to use the translation dials to bring her/it into frame. This is a weird glitch, but maybe the DSON importer is doing that. Als you can try the top view/bottom view to "see" if the character is floating around in there too.

Ariana

RHaseltine ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2013 at 9:27 AM

Quote - 2) I installed DSON Importer so that I can use the Genesis Characters in 2012. When I try to upload the character it reads that the character is there but screen is BLANK.

Did you install both the Poser Companion Files and the DSON Core files? The companion files contain only the "library files", the instructions to Poser to run the importer and what to import, you need the core files for the actual geometry and textures. Also, if you are using Windows Vista or later your content must not be installed in Program Files or program Files (x86).

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2013 at 10:24 AM

Quote - > Quote - 2) I installed DSON Importer so that I can use the Genesis Characters in 2012. When I try to upload the character it reads that the character is there but screen is BLANK.

Did you install both the Poser Companion Files and the DSON Core files? The companion files contain only the "library files", the instructions to Poser to run the importer and what to import, you need the core files for the actual geometry and textures. Also, if you are using Windows Vista or later your content must not be installed in Program Files or program Files (x86).

Richard where do you suggest we install M5/V5 to? I thought that most Daz Genesis stuff had a proprietary location that D/S installs to. I have the DSON Importer but never installed it. I did get it when it was free.

ThanX! ;)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.