Sat, Sep 21, 4:51 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: Render Animation as Still Pictures

Taylor-Made ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2012 at 6:59 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 4:47 AM

I'd like to render an animated sequence as a series of PNG files rather than an AVI sequence, but I can't find where to change the settings.  Can anyone help?  Thanks.

penboack ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2012 at 7:58 PM

LMB Click the Render Animation button on the Timeline (menu command Animation > Animation Render Options), in the Animation Render Options screen in the Channel Files section LMB Click Browse on the Color line to open the file dialog, in the Save file dialog change the format to PNG.

Repeat the steps in the Animation Render Options screen for Alpha and Depth render outputs.

Out of interest why do you want to use PNG as opposed to say OpenEXR?

http://penboa.deviantart.com/

Taylor-Made ( ) posted Fri, 22 June 2012 at 10:27 AM

I've used PNG files in AfterEffects for years with good results.  Open to any and all suggestions to improving my workflow.  One thing I noticed is that the "Alpha" PNG generated by Vue are not Alpha channels at all and don't work in AfterEffects.  Poser generates PNG with built in Alpha.

I was trying to do an animated asteroid in Vue, but ended up getting weird red artifacts along the edge of the asteroid and a supposedly Alpha PNG output that contained no alpha at all.  I gave up and imported an OBJ asteroid into Poser, textured it and animated it in less than an hour.  It came out terrific.  The Vue animation also had a really bad flicker that made it unusable.  Vue 8, by the way.

I love using Vue for set extensions and matte shots, but my experience with animation and Alpha channels has been dismal.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Fri, 22 June 2012 at 10:36 PM · edited Fri, 22 June 2012 at 10:39 PM

I render using sequenced PNG in Vue (see my homepage here for a sample video).  I don't render all objects for all frames though.  I'll unhide only the objects I want rendered with a black backdrop behind them.  Then I'll render the same camera pass again using another object that I unhide.  Then I import the sequenced PNGs as video tracks in my video editor.  The black backdrop is invisible in the final video.  I even do a render pass for any lens flares I need.  I like Vue's lens flares.  If I had a newer version of AE (I have 6.5), I could be using the awesome lens flare plugins for AE.  But what I have is still pretty good.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

Taylor-Made ( ) posted Thu, 28 June 2012 at 11:19 AM

I'm obviously not up to date on my Vue skills. You say you render against a black background.  Do you create the background in Vue?  Then you hide everything but the one object you want to render including the background you made and this gives you the object with a built in Alpha channel for each frame?

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Thu, 28 June 2012 at 1:25 PM · edited Thu, 28 June 2012 at 1:25 PM

Quote - I'm obviously not up to date on my Vue skills. You say you render against a black background.  Do you create the background in Vue?  Then you hide everything but the one object you want to render including the background you made and this gives you the object with a built in Alpha channel for each frame?

I create the whole scene in Vue.  I have a background (sky, mountains, clouds, etc) that I render by itself once.  Then I use a black backdrop when I render individual objects (planes flying, etc), but Vue is still using the background sky for lighting those objects.

If I tell Vue to not produce an alpha for the ground plane (even if I unhide the ground plane), Vue will render the ground plane but the PNG render will not show it.  This allows me to use the ground to bounce any light from the sky.  I'll replace the ground with something else usually.

A super computer with lots of RAM could just render everything at once and not bother with video tracks.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.