Sun, Sep 22, 7:18 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Writers

Welcome to the Writers Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Wolfenshire

Writers F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 3:18 am)

Writers Gallery

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ---Anton Chekhov

Subject: copyright on 3d renders

muller252 ( ) posted Sun, 17 June 2012 at 1:28 PM · edited Tue, 23 July 2024 at 1:47 AM

Hi, Can I copyright an image done using models bought from renderosity, rdna, daz etc?Is it intellectual only? What if I have some of my own material in the images?

wheatpenny ( ) posted Sun, 17 June 2012 at 1:32 PM
Site Admin

You have an automatic copyright on any image you produce, regardless of what models, etc are used in it.

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

muller252 ( ) posted Sun, 17 June 2012 at 4:21 PM

thanks for that wheatpenny, but I assume it has to be stated?

wheatpenny ( ) posted Sun, 17 June 2012 at 4:45 PM
Site Admin

No, you don't have to credit things you purchased. A lot of people do, but it's not actually required.

Jeff

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

muller252 ( ) posted Sun, 17 June 2012 at 5:21 PM

sorry but I meant that does copyright has to be stated regardless?

wheatpenny ( ) posted Sun, 17 June 2012 at 5:49 PM
Site Admin

No, the copyright doesn't have to be stated, but it might be a good idea to do so anyway so people know that you are aware of your rights concerning the image.

And you are not required to register for a formal copyright; your work is copyright the second it is produced.

Jeff

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

gishzida ( ) posted Mon, 18 June 2012 at 9:19 PM · edited Mon, 18 June 2012 at 9:20 PM

Two clarifications:

1. If you intend to publish [reproduce the image] for sale then registration with the Copyright Office is suggested. Why? In the event of legal proceedings, the completed Copyright registration is the "Proof" you "own" the image in question. While you don't have to register it is a safeguard that may protect your profits.

2. Most of the Poser / 3d Modelists sell their work on the basis that your payment is purchasing a "license" to use their work [3d model] in the manner set forth in the license provided with the model / morph.

Using a model that you have not paid for or using it in a manner that violates the model maker's license will put you inviolation of their copyright. So always be sure of the source of the works you are using and that the model maker's license allows you to use it.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.