Sun, Sep 15, 4:41 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: For our Mods and Admins

tjohn ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2012 at 6:07 AM · edited Tue, 10 September 2024 at 2:09 PM

Haven't seen anything here addressing this so I'll ask:

What happened to our Bryce Forums Banners and Challenge Page link in the header?

Was it the same spambot attacks that took out our Backroom and have been hitting Rendo in general since last year? I've been reading about this in the Community Center Forum. I know this is probably much more complicated to fix than it seems to the uninitiated (i.e. dopes like me) but the mods seem to be running around putting out fires while the PTB have had what seems like ample time to apply a permanent fix ( again, to a dope like moi).

So...what's up with that?

John

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

TheBryster ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2012 at 6:52 AM
Forum Moderator

All I know is that Admin locked down the back rooms for the time being.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

bobbystahr ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2012 at 9:08 AM

I think the backrooms are gonna be history as they seem to be at the root of the problem as Google sees it, and we'll have to figure a new way to manage headers etc.

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

tjohn ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2012 at 12:42 PM

Yo...thankee kindly.

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

AgentSmith ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2012 at 1:35 PM

;o(

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

bobbystahr ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2012 at 2:10 PM

@ Kirk, Google blames our backroom and sends up the flag each time it's accessed and it seems to be affecting bots as well....it's a strange affliction

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

AgentSmith ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2012 at 4:43 PM

Renderosity and Google sometimes just don't get along. Many years ago, Google would use bots to try and index all of Renderosity and it would slow down the entire website down to a crawl for almost every member. That got worked out somehow. Believe I remember that happened some time even before the php conversion.

It's strange that it's just the Backrooms.

Maybe older html is more vulnerable than php? Don't know.

dan whiteside ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2012 at 7:18 PM

Is this also affecting the Challenge area? Uploaded my entry this morning and haven't heard anyting and there's also no other entries showing up. Could be that I'm the only entry?

AgentSmith ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2012 at 7:56 PM

Interesting. It seems it's only Bryce's Backroom that is infected. Poser is fine, Vue is fine. It's a conspiracy! Lol...

Ya know, there was one time a couple years ago, that one guy used his iPhone to bring up my personal .com and his phone told him my site was infected. I was like "exsqueeze me?!" I didn't know how to 'scan' an online websites files for infections, so I used my FTP program to start downloading all my own files that made up my website to my harddrive so I could indeed scan them the normal way. And, yup there was just this one (.html) file that was infected. So, I uploaded my older backup of that .html file and everything was fine again. Weird.

Still don't know how someone either swapped out that one html file or was able to add code to it. I have crazy long passwords for everything (which were still changed, none the less)

adbc ( ) posted Tue, 31 July 2012 at 3:57 AM

Quote - Is this also affecting the Challenge area? Uploaded my entry this morning and haven't heard anyting and there's also no other entries showing up. Could be that I'm the only entry?

No you're not the only one, I just submitted it a few minutes ago.

I had to upload it through IE because Chrome is still giving a warning, I used the Safe Run from Kaspersky, don't want to catch a virus.

Hope that problem is solved asap. 

dan whiteside ( ) posted Tue, 31 July 2012 at 7:25 AM

Thanks for the info adbc.

bobbystahr ( ) posted Tue, 31 July 2012 at 7:57 AM

Incidently you can proceed anyway from that page and as I have found, nothing downloads to my computer...I ran ClamWin(av), Malwarebytes, and SpyBot after I did and found nothing untoward on my box....

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 31 July 2012 at 8:23 AM
Forum Moderator

Oh blame Bryce why don't ya!!!! It's a conspiracy. You can expect the Spanish Inquistion............................

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 31 July 2012 at 8:27 AM
Forum Moderator

Your entries to the Challenge are fine and approved.

bobbystahr ( ) posted Tue, 31 July 2012 at 8:29 AM

No one expects the Spanish Inquistion............................

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

AgentSmith ( ) posted Tue, 31 July 2012 at 2:04 PM

I sure as hell didn't.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 4:06 PM

There is FAR too much Bryce history in those backrooms to just pull the plug and walk away.

skiwillgee ( ) posted Tue, 14 August 2012 at 10:08 AM

As I stated in the other thread, I wish someone would have archived the very useful info in the backroom before deciding to trash it.  There were lots of good links in there.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Tue, 14 August 2012 at 4:17 PM · edited Tue, 14 August 2012 at 4:17 PM

It can be rebuilt, we have the technology. We can make it better, faster, stronger...

(I'm sure I'm mincing the intro voice over to the Six Million Dollar Man...but you get the idea, lol)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.