Tue, Oct 1, 5:32 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: OT Sort of: PoserPros website has been hacked

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 7:31 PM · edited Thu, 29 August 2024 at 9:54 AM

I am super careful about my email address. I get near-zero spam.

I use disposable addresses, each unique to one web site or application. This way, when I start getting spam, I know who leaked my address, since every address I give out is unique.

The address I gave to Poserpros and nobody else, ever, is now delivering spam to me.

This means the database there was hacked. ... or sold.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Ragtopjohnny ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 7:33 PM

Thanks for the warning Bill......appreciate the heads up.....😄

Poser Pro 2012/3DS Max 2013/Adobe Photoshop Elements 10/Zbrush/

PC: HP Z820 Workstation, 3.30 ghz 8 core Intel Processor, 2gig nvidia Quadro, 16 gig of Ram and 2TB Hard Drive.

lowpoly ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 8:03 PM

Poserpros went away about 3 years ago.  The URL will redirect you to the DAZ website.

If the database of emails was sold, I don't think they got top dollar for emails that old

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 8:06 PM

I know it's old and long dead, but the spam is brand new.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 8:20 PM

Hmmmm, that's really interesting since that website just got shut down when DAZ re-did their website.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 8:34 PM

Interesting. Thank goodness I don't use the email I used to use when I was a member there anymore ;).

Laurie

WandW ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 8:49 PM

PoserPros was taken over by DAZ, so perhaps you should alert DAZ, Ted, as they have had some website issues......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 9:07 PM

I used to alert those who leaked my address. Nobody ever believed me. They don't understand logic. They always argue (always) that I must have given the address to somebody else as well and I can't be sure they leaked it.

My address has been leaked by:

Orbitz

Renderosity

TJMaxx

Colby College

Not one of these organizations took any action. Well, TJMaxx did, but not until my credit card also started getting charges.

mylemonblue ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 9:29 PM · edited Sun, 19 August 2012 at 9:29 PM

Well DAZ still kept Poserpros open to existing members right up to their last store change. We used to be able to access old Poserpros purchases and download them still even though the site was closed. Now it's all gone and the downloads gone with it. I used to log into there and look at the image gallery too wishing it was still open and alive. It wasn't completely gone until DAZ's last store change best I can tell.

My brain is just a toy box filled with weird things

vholf ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 10:51 PM

Bill, how do you generate a unique email address? I'm sort of doing that using gmail, I can do something like "hioushi+renderosity@gmail.com, hioushi+somesiteorapp@gmail.com", but I'm still giving out my base address, it stops spam, but not all.

I remember you mentioning spamgourmet.com before, is it reliable?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 11:22 PM

Very reliable. I have over 25000 messages through that from rendo alone.

mylemonblue ( ) posted Mon, 20 August 2012 at 12:17 AM

Wow, spamgourmet.com. I'd forgotten that one. Thank you.

I wish I could remember which email I gave to Poserpros...to late now of course.

My brain is just a toy box filled with weird things

3doutlaw ( ) posted Mon, 20 August 2012 at 7:52 AM

If I remember correct, a moderator or something over at Daz running Artzone got hacked late last year...maybe the poserpros info was mixed in the same DB.  Anyway, thanks for the heads-up

(link about it)

Janl ( ) posted Mon, 20 August 2012 at 6:47 PM

I go for a unique email address for my important website registrations but I can't remember the one I used for PoserPros. It's probably one I don't use any more.

It would be a good idea to contact someone though because, as already mentioned, it may have been hacked or something.

LilWolff ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 9:29 PM

Your right, no one believes you even if you create a new email, a new personality unique to that site only. sigh

Gilt.com anyone?  You look and I'll whistle.

jjroland ( ) posted Thu, 23 August 2012 at 10:08 AM

Quote - I used to alert those who leaked my address. Nobody ever believed me. They don't understand logic. They always argue (always) that I must have given the address to somebody else as well and I can't be sure they leaked it.

My address has been leaked by:

Orbitz

Renderosity

TJMaxx

Colby College

Not one of these organizations took any action. Well, TJMaxx did, but not until my credit card also started getting charges.

Heh that seems to be almost any customer service these days.  The first course of action is to either blame the customer for everything or just assume the customer is an idiot.  

I am:  aka Velocity3d 

drifterlee ( ) posted Thu, 23 August 2012 at 12:55 PM

I was able to get a reset on all my purchases and freestuff a few months ago. Don't know if you can now if it was hacked.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.