Thu, Sep 19, 5:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 4:23 pm)

Subject: Problems load saved Scenes with V4.2 in Poser 6

Tarkhis ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 10:24 PM · edited Thu, 01 August 2024 at 6:25 AM

Having an problem loading saved pz3 files that contain V4.2 in the scene.  They won't load and the document window vanishes.  I've discovered through trial an error that if I delete the pmd file, I can then load the scene without problem, but this seems to contain the morph target info as those all disappear.

Does anyone know why this happens and what to do about it?  I'm running an old copy of Poser 6 until I can get Poser Pro, but that may be awhile.  In the meantime I'm trying to get back into doing 3D renders and graphics.  Been away for awhile.

markschum ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 11:57 PM

Turn OFF the use binary morphs un preferences. It makes your files a bit bigger but seems more stable.

Tarkhis ( ) posted Mon, 20 August 2012 at 12:04 AM

That seems to have corrected the problem.  Quite a relief, though I wasn't going to be able to use the V4.2 figure.  Thank you for the tip!

primorge ( ) posted Mon, 20 August 2012 at 4:36 AM · edited Mon, 20 August 2012 at 4:36 AM

You know I've heard alot of people say that binary morph targets cause problems in poser, but, for the life of me, I haven't ever encountered one. maybe just lucky.

Tarkhis ( ) posted Mon, 20 August 2012 at 9:57 AM

I don't know why it caused a problem, just once I turned it off and resaved my scenes I could then reload them without trouble.  Previously I'd had a scene (just posted a render last night), and with the binaries turned on it would not load.  Left Poser sitting for nearly an hour (watched a TV show instead) hoping it would load thinking maybe it was just having trouble with all the props and textures.  Once I got rid of the binaries, the saved scene could be loaded in about 20 sec.

I had also had trouble with rendering some hi-res images (3,000 x 3,000) which I found odd cause I easily work at that resolution in other apps (Photoshop CS5).  Once I turned the binaries off, the rendering problems went away as well, again I don't know why that is.

I don't know if in this case it has anything to do with using a more current figure like V4.2 on older software like Poser 6.  I suppose that's possible (seems likely but I haven't gotten the current version of Poser Pro yet to compare against).  For the moment, however, I'm just happy to have it solved.  I'd bought quite a bit of stuff from Daz recently and was worried I wasn't going to be able to use most of it.

FrankT ( ) posted Mon, 20 August 2012 at 2:14 PM

Quote - You know I've heard alot of people say that binary morph targets cause problems in poser, but, for the life of me, I haven't ever encountered one. maybe just lucky.

They play hell in external apps - Vue for e.g and for the supposed benefit, you get all sorts of grief.  A lot of people who render outside Poser won't use them

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

hornet3d ( ) posted Mon, 20 August 2012 at 3:01 PM

I had exactly the same problems with Poser 5 and Poser 6 and now I always switch off external binary morphs.  I am now using Poser 2012 and a lot of people say there have been a number of changes in this area but I have never wanted to find out.  Files are larger but storage is cheap so I am sticking with what I know works.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

Tarkhis ( ) posted Mon, 20 August 2012 at 3:28 PM

Well that would be my next question, what exactly is the point of the external binaries?  If its just to make file sizes smaller that doesn't seem very important to me.  I've got 2 TB on the HD.  I don't think I'm going to be running out of space anytime soon.

modus0 ( ) posted Mon, 20 August 2012 at 6:55 PM

IIRC, that "smaller file size" was in fact the primary marketing reason behind the introduction of external binaries.

And a few people did question that, as even then it seemed like something introduced a little too late to be really useful.

If you're joking that's just cruel, but if you're being sarcastic, that's even worse.

Santel ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 11:59 AM

could be wrong, but I think it's also possible to make injectible moprhs using the binary files, don't know for sure since I've had it turned off for years due to the similar problems as others...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.