Fri, Oct 4, 3:36 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: your longest render ever?

monkeycloud ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 3:51 PM · edited Wed, 22 August 2012 at 3:55 PM

Quote - > Quote - My longest Vue render was between 5 and 6 days... I lost track of the hours.

Longest Poser render, probably about 3-4 days...

Good God.... between 5 and 6 days? Really? I was about to toss in 4 days rendering time with Carrara 3, for a 30-second 640 x 480 animation. Then again, I was using an AMD Athlon 1400 single core with only 512mb of memory and onboard 64mb video..... 6 days.... D-A-Y-U-M!

...and those times were with a Quad Core i7 and 16GB RAM. Down to scene complexity primarily... oh and the Vue render was via the batch renderer, which is CPU throttled.

Likewise, with the longest Poser render... this was using Queue Manager, which, again, seems to have some sort of throttling in play relative to the background render.

I'm tending to just go with rendering background now... it seems to be much quicker for whatever reason...

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 5:09 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Quote - > Quote - 20 bounces? wtf? what are you rendering, the mirror fight scene from Enter the Dragon?

ROFLMAO! :lol:

That'd be some render...

Actually that's a frickin' excellent idea for what to do next with Geriatric Ninja Doris...

I love it!!! Have you seen mine?!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1303669&user_id=127942&np&np

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 5:10 PM

29 hours.  I cancelled it 3/4 of the way through.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 5:16 PM

If my render takes more than 1/2 an hour, I disassemble and render in pieces and reassemble it in a graphic program.  I've had too many cases where I've let my computer run a render for hours and hours, only to find that it had actually frozen up or something.  So now I just hide stuff and render in sections.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

parkdalegardener ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 5:36 PM

I've had Poser renders run for 36 -48 hours on more than one occasion but VUE. Crap I've had them take 5 or 6 days This on an i7 2600k with 8 gigs of RAM. Not the biggest speced machine on the planet but not really a slouch either.

moriador ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 5:43 PM · edited Wed, 22 August 2012 at 5:47 PM

Quote - If my render takes more than 1/2 an hour, I disassemble and render in pieces and reassemble it in a graphic program.  I've had too many cases where I've let my computer run a render for hours and hours, only to find that it had actually frozen up or something.  So now I just hide stuff and render in sections.

Exactly.

Though, for me, I let it run while I sleep. If it takes any longer than a normal night's sleep for me, I'll render in parts.

The last render I had to do that with involved IDL and transparencies and a lot of reflective surfaces. At some point in the middle/end, the machine reached 98% RAM usage. I have to work on this computer, so it can't be out of service for longer than a few hours. And at 98% RAM, even surfing the web is mighty uncomfortable.

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 6:17 PM

There was no way I could split up the render into sections on the one I mentioned.  I usually do that as a matter of course but it wasn't an option this time.

I was attempting to use a lot of BB's shaders in P6 on my old Athlon machine with 1.5GB RAM.  I think the render would have finished eventually but I needed to use it for something else. 

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

moriador ( ) posted Wed, 22 August 2012 at 6:46 PM

Yeah, sometimes you just can't split them up.

It's why I'm always drooling over newer, faster machines.

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

grichter ( ) posted Thu, 23 August 2012 at 12:54 AM

Quote - > Quote - 20 bounces? wtf? what are you rendering, the mirror fight scene from Enter the Dragon?

ROFLMAO! :lol:

That'd be some render...

Actually that's a frickin' excellent idea for what to do next with Geriatric Ninja Doris...

So MonkeyCloud when Doris jumps in the air and lands again how many bounces....to ahh...certain body parts :ohmy:

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

monkeycloud ( ) posted Thu, 23 August 2012 at 2:30 AM

Quote - So MonkeyCloud when Doris jumps in the air and lands again how many bounces....to ahh...certain body parts :ohmy:

She told me that back in the day she used to spar with classic British wrestlers Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks. She said she learnt some of her key moves and developed her strict dietary regime under the tuition of those two masters...

Her favourite move however is a Tai Chi inspired one she developed herself. It's called "Bury the Tiger under the Mountain".

😉

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Thu, 23 August 2012 at 8:35 AM · edited Thu, 23 August 2012 at 8:36 AM

woahs, my render bucket hasn't moved since last night. 

does raising the ffrender priority in taskmanager do any good?  or will i just totally tank my pc ?

it's not coming out the way i was hoping, anyhoos, i was aiming for art nouveau-ish, Alphonse Mucha.

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 23 August 2012 at 8:46 AM

Quote - > Quote - So MonkeyCloud when Doris jumps in the air and lands again how many bounces....to ahh...certain body parts :ohmy:

She told me that back in the day she used to spar with classic British wrestlers Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks. She said she learnt some of her key moves and developed her strict dietary regime under the tuition of those two masters...

Her favourite move however is a Tai Chi inspired one she developed herself. It's called "Bury the Tiger under the Mountain".

😉

You're a goof. I say that with much affection...lmao. Love it....lol.

Laurie

wimvdb ( ) posted Thu, 23 August 2012 at 8:54 AM

Quote - woahs, my render bucket hasn't moved since last night. 

does raising the ffrender priority in taskmanager do any good?  or will i just totally tank my pc ?

it's not coming out the way i was hoping, anyhoos, i was aiming for art nouveau-ish, Alphonse Mucha.

FFRender should already take all the CPU cores and be used at 100%. Raising the priority will not help (Unless of  course you have other CPU intensive applications running at the same time)

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Thu, 23 August 2012 at 7:41 PM · edited Thu, 23 August 2012 at 7:48 PM

file_485620.jpg

cpu dual-core is bouncing 99 - 100%.

ffrender64 memory usage has gone down from 1.2gb to the 300mb range?

it doesn't say not responding.

a screen grab for posterity

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

rokket ( ) posted Thu, 23 August 2012 at 11:22 PM

Quote - > Quote - So MonkeyCloud when Doris jumps in the air and lands again how many bounces....to ahh...certain body parts :ohmy:

😉

I just spat Red Bull all over my laptop screen....

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

rokket ( ) posted Thu, 23 August 2012 at 11:26 PM

Quote -  

cpu dual-core is bouncing 99 - 100%.

ffrender64 memory usage has gone down from 1.2gb to the 300mb range?

it doesn't say not responding.

a screen grab for posterity

This is why I only render what I need in the scene. Usually only the characters and their clothing. I tried to do a render using "The Pad" scene with Sydney and James. I ended up taking everything out but the two people and the couch that Sydney was sitting on. I added the rest in later using GIMP. It messes with the lighting and shadows, but I don't like it when I can do anything else on the laptop because of a RAM eating render. If I get a new laptop which will be the fastest and best graphics card available at the minute, I will probably attempt a full scene render again.

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2012 at 2:46 AM

did you load the Pad from it's .pz3? it has lots of parented lights. i del many of the lights and it rendered much better.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2012 at 5:56 AM · edited Fri, 24 August 2012 at 5:57 AM

Regardless of how slow a render is, this idea that you can't do anything else with your computer is odd to me. I've been launching Poser at low priority for years. When you do this, it only uses the CPU if YOU aren't.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3972986&ebot_calc_page#message_3972986

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2012 at 8:33 AM

Yeah, I use BB's trick since Poser 8 and I don't have any problems using Poser with other programs ;).

Laurie

WandW ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2012 at 8:52 AM

I don't have any problem running Poser and browsing the web simultaneously in Win 7 Pro; perhaps I need to run Poser at a higher priority when I'm not; is this possible?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

moriador ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2012 at 10:58 AM · edited Fri, 24 August 2012 at 11:01 AM

Quote - Regardless of how slow a render is, this idea that you can't do anything else with your computer is odd to me. I've been launching Poser at low priority for years. When you do this, it only uses the CPU if YOU aren't.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3972986&ebot_calc_page#message_3972986

It's not the CPU that's the problem for me when rendering; it's the RAM. Firefly runs in a lower priority, but when it and Poser and the OS are consuming 11.5 of my 12 gb, I find I cannot use an internet browser. What could I be doing wrong?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2012 at 6:04 PM

Oh - swapping is a different story. It doesn't obey priority - when swapping is called for, all apps suffer.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.