Wed, Sep 4, 8:58 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 8:02 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Help please, how to save styles and custom fills for a re-install

chohole ( ) posted Wed, 12 September 2012 at 2:44 PM · edited Sun, 21 July 2024 at 5:41 AM

May sound like a stupid question, but I use an old version of PS, PS7 to be precise, and have a terrible habit of making my own layer styles and then just leaving them in my styles library within PS,I have quite a lot that I use regularly.

Now I am going to transfer stuff to a new PC, for the first time for several years, and don't know how to back up my styles, and to a certain exten some of the fills I have made as well.

Can anyone give me any tips as to how to do this , please.

Also does PS need to be installed into the drive with the OS on it, or can I install to a separate drive.

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

Janl ( ) posted Wed, 12 September 2012 at 3:27 PM · edited Wed, 12 September 2012 at 3:35 PM

Attached Link: Saving, Loading and Reusing Layer Styles in Photoshop

I can't remember PS7 precisely but I don't think things have changed.

See from step 9:

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/basics/saving-layer-styles/

I don't have Photoshop installed on my main drive and have had no problems with it.

Edit to add: Everything including patterns, brushes etc. are saved in the same way.

chohole ( ) posted Thu, 13 September 2012 at 8:43 AM

Thanks for that Jan, that's exactly waht I needed.

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

Janl ( ) posted Thu, 13 September 2012 at 3:01 PM

You are very welcome. Just remember to make sure you have all the styles selected you want to save. I have mistakenly just saved one preset before instead of a whole set.

It's also a good idea to just load the styles, patterns, brushes you want to use at the time as having lots of them loading on startup will slow down Photoshop. When I am finished with a set I often reset them to the default. I find it keeps Photoshop running quickly.

chohole ( ) posted Thu, 13 September 2012 at 4:29 PM

Yeah Now I have them saved out I shall be doing that. I always do that with brushes and things, and any style sets I have downloaded. I Just had never bothered doing anything with my own styles, and suddnely realised I have hundreds of them...well over a hundred anyway. 😄

The new PC will seem turbo charged anyway to me after this one, which is over 6 years old.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.