Sun, Oct 6, 1:30 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 06 11:30 am)

Subject: UV Mapper Pro in Windows 8?

DCArt ( ) posted Sun, 11 November 2012 at 3:59 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 1:28 PM

I have UV Mapper Pro 3.5c (haven't been able to get the most recent version for quite a while, as I haven't gotten replies from Steve Cox).

Anyway, I installed Windows 8 over the weekend and haven't had any luck getting UV Mapper Pro to start. Instant crash to desktop. 

Has anyone else been successful in getting UV Mapper Pro to work in Windows 8?  If so, which version are you running?

(Also ... I did try different compatibility modes. No difference.)

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 11 November 2012 at 4:19 PM

Darn, it doesn't work in Windows 8? One more reason to stick with 7...LOL. Oh, and good luck getting Steve Cox to answer you - he hasn't answered anyone (that I'm aware) in years.

Laurie

DCArt ( ) posted Sun, 11 November 2012 at 4:23 PM · edited Sun, 11 November 2012 at 4:26 PM

Quote - Darn, it doesn't work in Windows 8? One more reason to stick with 7...LOL. Oh, and good luck getting Steve Cox to answer you - he hasn't answered anyone (that I'm aware) in years.

Laurie

That's what I was afraid of.

Bummer is, I DID have 3.6c at one time, but lost it in a hard drive crash, and I didn't have it backed up.  I was hoping that version would make a difference but if Steve Cox hasn't been answering anyone I think my UVMPro days might be over.  And the main thing I use it for nowadays is making sure that vertexes don't get reordered.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 11 November 2012 at 5:10 PM

Yeah, it's a tool that I think is gonna be really tough to replace :(

Laurie

DCArt ( ) posted Sun, 11 November 2012 at 5:24 PM

Quote - Yeah, it's a tool that I think is gonna be really tough to replace :(

Laurie

Well I wrote to him to ask if he could send me 3.6c so that I could try that, otherwise it appears it won't work in Windows 8.

And hopefully he'll add a note to that effect on his site when/if he confirms that it does not.

Teyon ( ) posted Sun, 11 November 2012 at 6:25 PM · edited Sun, 11 November 2012 at 6:30 PM

Works fine for me.  Version 3.6c - haven't had any issues so far.

Edit: I'm using Windows 8 Pro. ( I don't think there's a non-pro version but I should mention it anyway)

DCArt ( ) posted Sun, 11 November 2012 at 6:29 PM

Quote - Works fine for me.  Version 3.6c - haven't had any issues so far.

Hmmm ... then I wonder if 3.5c is the problem?

I've tried a few times to get an update, but haven't had any luck. 8-(

ToxicWolf ( ) posted Sun, 11 November 2012 at 8:08 PM

My 3.6c is working perfectly in Win 7 Pro.

Poser Pro 2012 SR3

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Intel Core I7 990x 3.46G 6 core

24G RAM

EVGA GTX580 R Video Card

Single HP LP2475 1920x1200 monitor

http://www.toxicwolf.com

DCArt ( ) posted Sun, 11 November 2012 at 9:21 PM

Yeah it was working fine for me in Windows 7 Pro, there must be some sort of conflict with something else. Haven't figured it out yet. Everything else seems to be working fine.

chris1972 ( ) posted Mon, 12 November 2012 at 2:51 AM

Lithunwrap is free and is wonderful. I started out using uv mapper and had the same problem, I couldnt get him to answer my emails, so I went looking for an alternative.

I found lithunwrap and have been using it eversince thats been 5 or 6 years now I think.

Its great and never looked back, now, wether it works in Win 8 or not, I have no idea.

martial ( ) posted Mon, 12 November 2012 at 5:17 AM

do you try to load in in Xp compatibility  mode ?

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 12 November 2012 at 6:24 AM

Yup, tried several compatibility modes. 

I'm dual booting on a Mac Pro between Mac and Windows, I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I do have another computer that I can install it on if necessary ... just a puzzle as to why it's not working on this one.

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 12 November 2012 at 6:27 AM

Quote - Lithunwrap is free and is wonderful. I started out using uv mapper and had the same problem, I couldnt get him to answer my emails, so I went looking for an alternative.

I found lithunwrap and have been using it eversince thats been 5 or 6 years now I think.

Its great and never looked back, now, wether it works in Win 8 or not, I have no idea.

I do have other UV mapping software, but as I said above I use UV Mapper Pro to make sure that vertices don't get reordered as I work on content. 

cherokee69 ( ) posted Sun, 26 May 2013 at 4:02 AM

Has anyone had any luck in figuring out why UVMapper Pro won't work in Windows 8 but did work in Windows 7?

Thanks

Teyon ( ) posted Sun, 26 May 2013 at 4:37 AM

The latest version, 3.6c works in Windows 8.

cherokee69 ( ) posted Sun, 26 May 2013 at 5:09 AM

Quote - The latest version, 3.6c works in Windows 8.

Not on my computer. How did you get it to work on yours? When I click to open it, it doesn't.

martial ( ) posted Sun, 26 May 2013 at 5:42 AM

i use version 3,5pro  on win 8 pro

cherokee69 ( ) posted Sun, 26 May 2013 at 5:56 AM

Quote - i use version 3,5pro  on win 8 pro

I've bought 3.6 pro which worked fine on Windows 7 but won't even open on Windows 8. Doesn't even show up in Task Manager.

ghostship2 ( ) posted Sun, 26 May 2013 at 11:34 AM

maybe you guys have to have the xp emulator mode thing installed on your system? I can't remember what MS calls it right now but I had to load it in W7ult to make my older version of Texture Converter to work.

W10, Ryzen 5 1600x, 16Gb,RTX2060Super+GTX980, PP11, 11.3.740

ghostship2 ( ) posted Sun, 26 May 2013 at 11:40 AM

xp emulation mode

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode

that is the version for W7 they may have something different for W8. Sorry I cant be more helpful

W10, Ryzen 5 1600x, 16Gb,RTX2060Super+GTX980, PP11, 11.3.740

cherokee69 ( ) posted Mon, 10 June 2013 at 9:28 AM

Just a little info here in case anyone has a problem with UVMapper Pro and Windows 8. I finally got UVMapper Pro working now. Never could find any error as to why it wasn’t opening so I decided to check the Event Logs. It seems every time I ran the program, I’d see this in the event log… Reset to device, DeviceRaidPort0, was issued. Researched this on the net and finally ran across a solution to update the device driver. Updated the drivers for the hard drive and UVMapper Pro started working right away. So now, instead of taking 3 minutes to open, it now takes about 3 seconds.

I never have heard anything back from Steve Cox.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.