Wed, Sep 18, 8:01 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: OT: Yikes!! Zero-Day Java Exploit

WandW ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2013 at 2:32 PM · edited Sat, 20 July 2024 at 4:22 AM

Apparently there is no fix at this point.  Be Careful out There...

"Internet users should consider disabling Java in their browsers because of an exploit that can allow remote attackers to execute code on a vulnerable system, the U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT) recommended late Thursday.

Security researchers reported this week that cybercriminals were using a zero-day vulnerability in Java to attack computer systems. Attackers were using the vulnerability to stealthily install malware on the computers of users who visit compromised websites, researchers said."

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9235615/US_CERT_tells_users_to_disable_Java_in_browsers_after_exploit

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

JoePublic ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2013 at 2:52 PM

Firefox + NoScript + ABP + CommonSense = WIN

:-)

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2013 at 3:09 PM

I disabled Java long ago.  It used to be a big part of web browsing, but now you rarely need it.

markschum ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2013 at 3:14 PM

I have java disabled but Java script enabled. I also have a script block add-on that claims to stop malicious code.

It is a worry though.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2013 at 8:52 PM

Turned it off weeks ago for some (Other?) Java exploit.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

Paloth ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2013 at 10:17 PM

I do not use Java. It has often been a vulnerability. I don't need a government agency to tell me this.

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

Cage ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2013 at 11:29 PM

So, umm.  Does this NoScript thingy in Mozilla protect us, or what?  Should I panic?  I'm usually prepared to panic at least a little bit....  :unsure:

I've never quite understood the appeal of Java and scripts and whizwhams on a site, really.  Betting I probably end up using them a lot without realizing it, though....

Please pardon my elipses... they seem to be getting out of hand recently....

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

primorge ( ) posted Sat, 12 January 2013 at 12:14 AM

Louis Ferdinand Celine used ellipses as a signature literary device, Cage... You're in good company...

R_Hatch ( ) posted Sat, 12 January 2013 at 12:33 AM

Quote - "Internet users should consider disabling Java in their browsers*..."*

This is incorrect. You should not consider disabling Java - you should disable it without any consideration whatsoever.

WandW ( ) posted Sat, 12 January 2013 at 7:50 AM

Cage,

Noscript prevents all Javascripts, Java and Flash from running.  You can then whitelist sites to allow scripts needed to run sites you use, such as here.  For instance,  I have google-analytics.com blocked, which keeps some of their tracking at bay; Rendo uses it, but it doesn't affect the function of the site. 

It takes a few days of whitelisting one's haunts (a page can have six or more other sites wanting to run scripts and you usually don't want to allow them all; just the ones that will make it work) but after that it's pretty seamless......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

ehliasys ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2013 at 6:21 AM

Java is not the same as Javascript.

In fact, Java is a runtime environment and has nothing to do with Javascript, which is a script language for browsers.  

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2013 at 1:20 PM
Site Admin

So how do you disable java?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

mrsparky ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2013 at 8:32 PM

So how do you disable java? It's in the tools/options menu of your internet browser. Disabled it ages and apart from a few sites you won't even notice it's been nobbled.

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 16 January 2013 at 6:23 PM
Site Admin

Thanks MrSparky

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.