Wed, Oct 2, 8:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: Need advice: Normals of imported boolean objects are messed up

jenay ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2013 at 12:22 PM · edited Sun, 21 July 2024 at 12:36 PM

file_490465.png

Create booleans in Bryce 7 and import them into Poser: the normals are messed up.

I wanted to create a wall with a hole and more complex objects.
I collapsed the boolean object in Brye and exported it as an obj-file.
Imported it into Poser (7).
Although the rendered images look not too bad IMHO, it's quite annoying.

I treid the option Make Polygon Normals consistent, but it doesn't work so far.
The Poser group editor is a bit tedious.

Is it a bug ??
Is there a way or a tool to fix this issue ??

Thanks in advance.

See screenshots.

jenay ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2013 at 12:24 PM

file_490466.jpg

Here is the rendered image - not perfect but acceptable.

FrankT ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2013 at 1:23 PM

Booleans are evil and should be avoided - basically, they can create the kind of polygons that give Poser conniptions. long thin triangles and NGons.

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

markschum ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2013 at 2:17 PM

You can try adjusting the crease angle in Poser or load to uvmapper and split vertices.

mysticeagle ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2013 at 6:29 PM

I've always heard booleans are the work of the devil, yet I've heard of a book called "Poser Secrets" which IIR claims that this is a myth and booleans work fine in poser?. I haven't purchased it but wondered if anyone has and whether I'm dreaming, i think it was also marketed by SM but i'm not 100% sure.

OS: Windows7 64-bit Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)  6GB Ram
Poser: Poser Pro 2012 SR3.1 ...Poser 8.........Poser5 on a bad day........
Daz Studio Pro 4.5  64bit

Carrara beta 8.5

Modelling: Silo/Hexagon/Groboto V3
Image Editing: PSP V9/Irfanview
Movie Editing. Cyberlink power director/Windows live movie maker

"I live in an unfinished , poorly lit box, but we call it home"

My freestuff   

link via my artist page

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2013 at 6:35 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

Try using the grouping tool and select the offending normas and then click reverse group normals. Though sometimes with is more of a pain than having the normals backwards.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

caisson ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2013 at 2:13 PM

Attached Link: Groboto

file_490532.jpg

My understanding is that Poser doesn't like long thin polygons of the kind shown in your 1st screenshot - a model that contains these will have shading issues. So boolean operations that result in this kind of topology will be problematic but booleans that have a different topology will work fine.

I found a useful and cheap modeling app a while back called Groboto (see attached link) which is based on using primitives plus boolean operations. I've found the interface takes a bit of getting used to, but it's quite addictive, can make very complex shapes and can auto-generate quad meshes with pretty good (though not perfect) topology at varying resolutions. The helmet in the attached pic was 90% modeled in Groboto - some spheres and other default primitives plus several boolean operations. It also auto-generates UV maps based on the 'patches' formed by the primitives. Might be worth a look?

----------------------------------------

Not approved by Scarfolk Council. For more information please reread. Or visit my local shop.

aeilkema ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2013 at 5:20 PM

I use a lot of booleans in my modeling for poser, so far I haven't encountered too many problems. There's one thing I always make sure though, after I'm done with all of my  boolean operations, I always triangulate my model and save the triangulated version as a new file, just incase I want to go back later and change things. Poser will now import the model just fine, no matter what crazy kinds of booleans I've thrown unto the model.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.