Sun, Oct 6, 8:51 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 28 10:18 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: A few color tweaks...

StaceyG ( ) posted Fri, 22 February 2013 at 3:02 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 8:46 AM

We made a few color tweaks to the background so it wouldn't be so bright of a blue. The header is a little darker as well as putting a black around the main promo image in the marketplace products and vendor banners.  We are going to sit with these through the weekend but will be back at it come Monday.

Please note that the forums, galleries, freestuff, etc those modules have yet to be "changed" some of the core changes we've made have affected some minor things in those modules (like the comment box in the gallery, the weird spacing that was here in the forums, etc) but other than those minor things no changes (like adding the bootstrap) have been done to them at all.  So for example, the forums are the same, the colors as they've always been, galleries too so please bear with us as we work out all the issues in the core then the techs will be moving on to those individual modules.

Thank you

StaceyG ( ) posted Fri, 22 February 2013 at 3:03 PM

Oh and you will probably need to do a hard refresh to see those minor color tweaks we've implemented.

auntietk ( ) posted Fri, 22 February 2013 at 3:15 PM

Thanks, Stacey!  It's nice to know I can ignore glitchy things for a few days.  Seeing the color changes every few hours is sort of entertaining, actually!  Maybe the color should be called "Rheostat Blue."  :D 

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough."  ...  Robert Capa

StaceyG ( ) posted Fri, 22 February 2013 at 4:13 PM

LOL auntietk:)  Keeps it interesting for sure.. We will get there!!  Thank you for your patience

RodS ( ) posted Fri, 22 February 2013 at 7:33 PM

It's looking a bit better - I see the blue has been toned down a bit, as well as that white space at the top. Looking forward to seeing all the glitches being resolved.

Thanks for listening..

LOL @ Tara.... "Rheostat blue..." :-D

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage

StaceyG ( ) posted Fri, 22 February 2013 at 8:20 PM

We will get there and we are definitely listening and will continue to:)  Some of us spent the first half of the day just gathering feedback lol.

Thank you!!!

RodS ( ) posted Fri, 22 February 2013 at 8:38 PM

I'm sure that wasn't an encouraging task judging by some of the feedback - mine included. I think a lot of it is simply that this site is well loved by its members - at least that's the case for me... If we didn't care we'd just shrug our shoulders and move on... But there's something special about this community that cannot be found on any other Art-related site. I've certainly not found anything out there that even comes close.

We just don't want to see Renderosity take the same paths as some other websites have done.

For many of us, this is our Art 'home' in the great realm of cyberspace... :-D

Antaran ( ) posted Fri, 22 February 2013 at 10:47 PM

Please settle on a similar-tone color palette. Either all backgrounds light or all backgrounds dark. Currently there is too much contrast between the blue overall background and the light gray header/panels. It looks terribly busy and disorganized.

Also, there is an excellent thread summarizing all the faults of the recent changes here:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2863956

renecyberdoc ( ) posted Fri, 22 February 2013 at 11:53 PM · edited Fri, 22 February 2013 at 11:54 PM

Quote - I'm sure that wasn't an encouraging task judging by some of the feedback - mine included. I think a lot of it is simply that this site is well loved by its members - at least that's the case for me... If we didn't care we'd just shrug our shoulders and move on... But there's something special about this community that cannot be found on any other Art-related site. I've certainly not found anything out there that even comes close.

We just don't want to see Renderosity take the same paths as some other websites have done.

For many of us, this is our Art 'home' in the great realm of cyberspace... :-D

i agree completely with the Rodzter.this is our home and we want to have a fine home lol.-we will get there beeing patient. btw i had no issues at all.the old dinosaur here seems to be able to adapt to new conditions lol.

Dave-So ( ) posted Sat, 23 February 2013 at 8:57 AM

we need the ability to tweak the colors for ourselves. i may not like your color choices.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Sat, 23 February 2013 at 9:17 AM

The side bar needs to be darker as well Stacey. It is too glaring. But the header is a bit better. I don't see the logic in all of this white, it does not excite one to buy, it makes one "uncomfortable". Perhaps facillity wise the changes were needed, but there is no reason that the site colors needed to change. The 'Blue on Blue' letters are still hard to see.

But it's getting ther......

~A~

Is there water in your future or is it being shipped away to be resold to you?
Water, the ultimate weapon...

www.futurefantasydesign.com

modus0 ( ) posted Sat, 23 February 2013 at 9:39 AM

I for one loathe the new header, white or light grey, it doesn't feel like Renderosity anymore.

And can we PLEASE get a reason for this? You know, just a simple explanation as to why it was felt necessary to change things again.

If you're joking that's just cruel, but if you're being sarcastic, that's even worse.

Dave-So ( ) posted Sat, 23 February 2013 at 9:40 AM

i will be blunt..the whole thing is a mess. it was just fine previously. why the change?

even the photos in the store are too big...and i have a 23inch monitor. a lot of the text is unreadable. The design of the site has no character ... it is blocky or something.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

renecyberdoc ( ) posted Sat, 23 February 2013 at 11:22 PM

i just edited my profile and indeed the grey letter on the blue ground are almost illegible.no good this one.

the surfing and searching and shopping goes smooth and fast no objections there.

taoz ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2013 at 5:54 AM

Quote - i just edited my profile and indeed the grey letter on the blue ground are almost illegible.no good this one.

the surfing and searching and shopping goes smooth and fast no objections there.

I agree on both issues. Like the new look.

There seem to be a bug however: no thumbnail pictures for popup's on many product pages - only some small rectangular squares.

auntietk ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2013 at 2:02 AM

Hey Stacey ... I know you're still working ... but I just posted something to the Writer's Gallery and ... wahhhhhhhh!!  The text box is marginally okay for captions under a photograph, but for posting something longer it's ... well ... it's not good.

I promise to withhold further complaints until you're done and ask for feedback.

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough."  ...  Robert Capa

helgas ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2013 at 10:35 AM

Thank you for the darker background color. It looks much better.

The "Quote" option in the Forums stopped working today.

The Wishlist is still unmanagable due to the large thumbnails and the huge amount of white space. Hope this will be addressed as well. I am positive that Renderosity will get it right in the end.

KageRyu ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2013 at 3:16 PM
Online Now!

Quote - The side bar needs to be darker as well Stacey. It is too glaring. But the header is a bit better. I don't see the logic in all of this white, it does not excite one to buy, it makes one "uncomfortable".
~A~

I have to say I am inclined to agree 100% (and I don't like to agree with people - it feels unatural to me somehow 😉 ).  Even though the header and sides are "off white" now, they are far to bright and painful on the eyes.  There is too much contrast from a design point of view, creating too much visual tension and drama on the page - which makes the experience much less comfortable of viewing the pages and shopping.  This will serve to speed up click throughs, and while may appear to be generating more trafic in the long run, the traffic is not taking the time to actually view products, or browse.  They will click through, get whatever business they came to do here done quickly, and move on - which serves to reduce overall profit and sales from impulse buys, browsing consumers, or people who are digging and looking for something unusual.

I myself have purchased many things, here, at RDNA, at CP, and at a certain "other" site, after long visits just looking through products and seeing something after hours that was a "Must Have" and not what I intended to buy.  I have an extensive wishlist of such items to make it easier for me to find them when I have funds.  The current design makes such "expeditions" hard on the eyes and uncomfortable - so I am not likely to do them.  I would bet others have thought the same way.

I so hate to delve into such technical terms of comercial sales and commercial arts training as I have just done (in fact I think this is a first, and many do not even realize the extent of my education or experiences in such matters) so please, please, please consider the above very deeply and carefully before dismissing it?

The New HD Toaster from Wamco toasts bread more evenly and acurately than Standard Toasters. Take advantage of the FULL resolution of your bread and try one today, because if your toast isn't in High Definition, you are not getting the most of your toast!

MagnoliaMoonElf ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2013 at 4:09 PM

Quote - > Quote - The side bar needs to be darker as well Stacey. It is too glaring. But the header is a bit better. I don't see the logic in all of this white, it does not excite one to buy, it makes one "uncomfortable".

~A~

I have to say I am inclined to agree 100% (and I don't like to agree with people - it feels unatural to me somehow 😉 ).  Even though the header and sides are "off white" now, they are far to bright and painful on the eyes.  There is too much contrast from a design point of view, creating too much visual tension and drama on the page - which makes the experience much less comfortable of viewing the pages and shopping.  This will serve to speed up click throughs, and while may appear to be generating more trafic in the long run, the traffic is not taking the time to actually view products, or browse.  They will click through, get whatever business they came to do here done quickly, and move on - which serves to reduce overall profit and sales from impulse buys, browsing consumers, or people who are digging and looking for something unusual.

I myself have purchased many things, here, at RDNA, at CP, and at a certain "other" site, after long visits just looking through products and seeing something after hours that was a "Must Have" and not what I intended to buy.  I have an extensive wishlist of such items to make it easier for me to find them when I have funds.  The current design makes such "expeditions" hard on the eyes and uncomfortable - so I am not likely to do them.  I would bet others have thought the same way.

I so hate to delve into such technical terms of comercial sales and commercial arts training as I have just done (in fact I think this is a first, and many do not even realize the extent of my education or experiences in such matters) so please, please, please consider the above very deeply and carefully before dismissing it?

I have to agree with you here. Hopefully your comments will be taken into consideration.

helgas ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2013 at 4:31 PM

Question: What is this very large black box, above Stacey's first post, for? It says "Subject": A few color tweaks ... and then follows darkness - what can one do with it?

Just curious.

helgas ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2013 at 5:38 PM

Quote - Question: What is this very large black box, above Stacey's first post, for? It says "Subject": A few color tweaks ... and then follows darkness - what can one do with it?

Just curious.

Nobody knows? It must serve some purpose due to its large size. It can't be just a black hole, or can it?

helgas ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2013 at 6:01 PM

I just checked the site again and what I nice surprise. The look has improved dramatically. This color combination looks elegant and pleasing.

What is still a problem is the display of the merchandise in the store.

At the moment the display boxes are half/half. This gives it an unbalanced look. There should be more picture than text.

The text looks lost and needs to shrink to 1/3 of the box. It just has to be rearranged. Nothing would be lost and reading it would be much easier and faster. Spreading out valuable information over a large area is of no benefit to the customer.

The Wishlist is still blinding white and the side bar is not lining up. The icons for "make public or private" etc. are in desperate need of beautification. They are horribliy primitive.

These are just my personal feelings when I look at the store display and the Wishlist.

I have noticed a desire to go shopping again as soon as my Wishlist turns to the lovely grey you have chosen. Thank you for listening and restoring Renderosity again to something one can't be without.

StaceyG ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2013 at 6:08 PM

Thank you helgas. Just please know that this entire process across all modules of the site will take some time so we aren't finished yet but I think listening to the feedback are working toward a more positive path for all:)

RodS ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2013 at 6:19 PM

Looking better! Keep it up, and thanks for listening!

StaceyG ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2013 at 6:22 PM

:thumbupboth:

renecyberdoc ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2013 at 12:24 AM

yeah the dark looks way better,the text comes out crisp and clear.

now with the wishlist background could also use a grain of grey,and i find it well manageable to surf the site a few tweaks here and there and we get to it.

am using firefox. for IE users yeah ist different i know.we get there in due time (lol)

now i will go and check if the buying process works smooth (wink)

auntietk ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2013 at 12:24 AM

Love the gray neutrals!  It's a nice shade, and a non-color (so to speak) doesn't fight with the art.  Very nice!  :) 

PAnn ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2013 at 12:42 AM

Love the new colours.  So much nicer to look at.

goldie ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2013 at 12:43 AM

do like what i am seeing now...the brown/taupe looks so much better...now i do hope, at some point, you get those merchant product boxes to line up along the bottom, very distracting having them at different heights...

Autumn_Rains ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2013 at 5:35 AM

:wub:

DocMikeB ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2013 at 7:05 AM

The grey theme is a significant improvement.

More eye-friendly and less distracting.  

StaceyG ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2013 at 9:16 AM

YAY:)  It's a slow process but we will get there. Just bear with us and when we are finished with it , greatness:)

foxylady1 ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2013 at 10:45 AM

Thank you team!!!  It is much more soothing to look at.

Stacy, what is that empty box above the first post in all the threads.  It can come in quite large in some forum threads, and super small in others.  It does appear to be random.

And thank you for making some of the fonts crisper, they have lost that dot matrix look.

Antaran ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2013 at 12:38 PM

The design is slowly getting better and less neurotic, but still doesn't look as coherent as it used to be before the recent changes.

It would be nice if there was more uniformity in the way borders, backgrounds, pannels and buttons looked.

And it would also be nice if the color was used to highlight the most relevant aspects of each page. For example, in the Marketplace the Shopping Cart and Checkout buttons get visually lost in the multitude of simialr bars. Even just separating all the searching and product filtering options into a signle panel would help to separate the Shopping Cart and the Checkout buttons. But whatever method is used, they should be more visible and easier to find on the page.

McGyver13 ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2013 at 3:29 PM · edited Thu, 28 February 2013 at 3:29 PM

Credit where credit is due- the new look is much better than that stark white a lot of site insist on using...

MY EYEBALLS THANK YOU!!!

And it looks good to!

auntietk ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2013 at 8:51 PM

Let's see ... 6:47pm Pacific time, and the color scheme is frakkin' gorgeous!!  Gray on gray on gray in different shades ... it's lovely!  :)  I like the brighter header ... not stark, but not dull, either.  This is beautiful, Stacey!  (And I love your new avitar.)  Gosh ... I sound like such a suckup.  But I figure I should at least say as many nice things as I bitch about!  LOL!  (Still hatin' the teeny-tiny comment boxes, though.  I'm sure that's on the list.  bites fingernails  At least I HOPE it's on the list!!)

Lovin' y'all right now!  :X

StaceyG ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2013 at 8:58 PM

It is on the list and thank you for the kind words. Much appreciated. It's soo nice to see happy members!! It's been a crazy week and we've got a lot more work to do but it's coming together nicely I think:)

RodS ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2013 at 9:03 PM

LOL @ Tara....

You're such a cut-up!

This is looking GOOD! Thank you, Stacy and team!

StaceyG ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2013 at 9:16 PM

You are very welcome and  a big thank you to our wonderful members who have been patient and provided great productive feedback!!

auntietk ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2013 at 9:32 PM

Happy Member Right Here! 

(Forgot to mention the dark blue background in the galleries ... VERY classy!)

LilRedWagon ( ) posted Sat, 02 March 2013 at 1:59 AM

Fenier

Online Now!

Last Post: 01 Mar 13

[homepage]
[stats]

Posted Thu, Feb 21, 2013 9:25 pm, Edited Thu, Feb 21, 2013 9:26 pm
This may just be me..

I work for a major retailer on the east coast, as a web developer.  Specfically, I do front end web design.

It strikes me as exceptionally odd that the following happened:

• Code launch middle of day
  • Code launch not cross browser tested
  • Code launch missing elements
  • Code launch spanning an indefinate period of time 
  • Hotfixes deployed into Production without testing

So I am really not sure I understand the "we're still working on things".   Seems rather... like a lack of formal process that should really be in place if you intend to keep code quality high and be able to deploy it

LilRedWagon ( ) posted Sat, 02 March 2013 at 2:05 AM

By: ssgbryan on 2/28/13
If you had told us of this ahead of time, you wouldn't have gotten anywhere near all of the venom that you had thrown your way.

Talk to your customer base beforehand, not after the fact.

helgas ( ) posted Sat, 02 March 2013 at 2:35 PM

I just installed Chrome again because IE and Rendo no longer mix. For some reason I have not looked at the Home page in quite a while. What I saw this morning - using IE8 - was shocking. Nothing was alined, text run into adjacent ads. The page looked like it was hit by a Hurricane.

I tried to go to Ironman's sale and left in despair. All I could see was three slim rows of red and yellow icons bunched together. I got so dizzy that I had to close Rendo. This was my morning relaxation.

After installing Chrome and disabling IE things have improved. At least Ironman's offerings have separated. Unfortunately the display of the prices is so small that I got eye strain and had to abandon my shopping again.

Since the site change I haven't made a single purchase and my  list of 'I want" grows longer. Yes I know - patience is everything. I am trying to be patient, I am trying to be patient ... and I am suffering from withdrawel syndrom and I am not going to buy a hand-held device.

Lyne ( ) posted Thu, 07 March 2013 at 1:32 PM

I just came back to take a peek...me and my min $200 and max $300 per month have been gone since this mess was created...the overall look of this site on the home page is, to me, very blah, looks like any site on the net, is NOT clear that this is an ARTISTS or ARTISTIC community! It's not pretty, not comfortable, cheap looking.  Why????

Why was the change done anyway? I am a visual person, this was a fun, interesting and lovely site to view galleries and to shop in... now it's very odd... I simply will check now and then to see if they can "right itself" or if it stays so ugly. Someone told me it was due to a "new system"... well what does the new system DO for the users that makes it any better?

Was it for Ipads and phones? What about the majority who use "real" computers with BIG screens, who want to enjoy a full experience? Oh well...

Till next month or two...

Life Requires Assembly and we all know how THAT goes!

KageRyu ( ) posted Tue, 19 March 2013 at 5:36 PM
Online Now!

It's been a few weeks now.

I still feel there is far too much bright/light colors, particularly on the wishlist and product pages, and it is still very painful on the eyes.  It creates too much contrast.

While the banner is slightly better, I feel it's still too bright.

I can tell I am in the minority and this will likely not improve any.

Viewed in Firefox and IE.

The New HD Toaster from Wamco toasts bread more evenly and acurately than Standard Toasters. Take advantage of the FULL resolution of your bread and try one today, because if your toast isn't in High Definition, you are not getting the most of your toast!

Antaran ( ) posted Tue, 19 March 2013 at 7:04 PM

I also agree that the colors still need improvement. Especially in contrast reduction.

Right nor the best segment contrast-wise is the header and the buttons on the header. But the whole group is way too bright compared to the rest of the page.

Another good match is right here in the forum: the post body/comment background and the overal page background (3 simlar but yet distinctly different shades of gray). Again this group works well by itself, but it is too contrasting with the site header.

auntietk ( ) posted Tue, 19 March 2013 at 7:23 PM

Still waiting for a bigger comment box ...

???

KageRyu ( ) posted Tue, 19 March 2013 at 11:53 PM
Online Now!

Quote - I also agree that the colors still need improvement. Especially in contrast reduction.

Right nor the best segment contrast-wise is the header and the buttons on the header. But the whole group is way too bright compared to the rest of the page.

Another good match is right here in the forum: the post body/comment background and the overal page background (3 simlar but yet distinctly different shades of gray). Again this group works well by itself, but it is too contrasting with the site header.

Yup, that's kind of my thoughts on it.  In the forums, once you scroll past the header, things look ok...not fond of all the depressing gray, but that's personal taste.  It's the header + rest of page that has too much contrast.  If it were just the thin menu bar the shades it is witht he rest of the header closer to the color on the background of the side panels I could possibly live with it, and the page would look much more unified and cohesive overall - IMHO.  It's mainly that it's such a large swath of bright on the top of the page that creates all the contrast issues.

Product pages and Wishlist pages are particularly bad - with far too much bright white, with dark greay boardera and frames.  It is very hard on my eyes.

KageRyu ( ) posted Wed, 20 March 2013 at 12:14 AM
Online Now!

file_492789.jpg

ok, this was quickly banged out just to illustrate my meaning, so it's not the cleanest job of colorizing and there is some bleeding and roughness in places, but colorwise... see how much easier on the eyes this change would be, and how it brings the page together by sharing common ground between the header and side frames?

auntietk ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2013 at 10:18 PM

Updated my homepage today, but it was nearly impossible.  I hope it was a temporary thing ... I couldn't access anyone's ... it wasn't just because I was changing mine.  Got a white screen, so I just hoped the updates looked okay, and came back later. 

This issue is just a ruse to create an opportunity to complain again about the teeny tiny boxes for commenting and posting.  It's particularly problematic when posting to the Writer's Gallery. 

Are you still working on larger boxes?  This one I'm in now seems sufficient to requirements.  Please, can we have the bigger ones back soon?

Is anybody still listening?

auntietk ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2013 at 10:23 PM

Oh dear.  I just realized I'm not getting bots on comments and favs and whatnot.  My on-site notifications are being updated, but I'm not getting bots.  :(  I hope this is just a glitch!  Last notifications via email were about six hours ago.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.