Wed, Sep 18, 7:13 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 6:30 pm)

Subject: The original creator of Daleks has passed away

Yuroven ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2013 at 3:08 AM · edited Wed, 31 July 2024 at 8:08 AM

Heard on BBC, did not get the name, but the creator (on TV, not Davros...;) has passed away. See many Daleks here, thought would mention it.

aRtBee ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2013 at 3:18 AM

Ray Cusick, UK, working for BBC television, designed the Daleks in 1963 after Terry Nation - the scriptwriter of Dr Who - had thought them up as revengeful aliens in personal armour, as new enemies for the Doctor.

50 years later, Ray died in his sleep after a short illness, at the age of 84.

RIP.

And my regards to SamTherapy too, who brought the Daleks to Rendo. He will keep the memories alive. 

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though

Redfern ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2013 at 4:55 PM

Yeah, I got word last night about his passing. Terry Nation may have given a vague description of "survivors of a nuclear war, gliding along the floor in metal casings," but it was Ray Cusick who designed their iconic look and worked out the mechanics for their operation.

At least he lived long enough to witness their popularity grow again, almost rivaling the "Dalek-mania" of the 60s, and people learning of his immeasurable contributions.

Sincerely,

Bill

Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!

ockham ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2013 at 7:42 PM

Unfortunately the Beeb didn't value his contribution.  According to the obit in UK Telegraph, they gave him a special bonus of 100 pounds after the Daleks became the most enduring feature of the show. 

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2013 at 8:48 PM

Saw this thread after I posted my own.  RIP Ray Cusick.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

AetherDream ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2013 at 9:51 PM

Sad to hear it. That is such a great series of shows.

"People who attempt define what art is or is not, are not artists"---Luminescence

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.