Sun, Oct 6, 9:20 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Modeling pockets on shirts and jackets (danger ahead?)

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sat, 09 March 2013 at 6:07 AM · edited Sat, 28 September 2024 at 1:45 AM

I want to model some pockets on conforming shirts and jackets, rather than paint them on texture maps.  If a pocket happens to land on a group border (lCollar/Chest), will conforming play well with the pocket mesh?

Does someone have a render of such pockets that still look ok after posing cloth?

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

DarkEdge ( ) posted Sat, 09 March 2013 at 9:18 AM

If you cut a pocket in half with a Group line you will have some issues. Instead just Group the pocket as a whole to whatever body part it is nearest, the joint parameters will take care of the rest, then Group the rest of the shirt as you normally would. 😄

Comitted to excellence through art.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sat, 09 March 2013 at 5:50 PM

I'm looking at clothing tops for Jessi and it seems that some of them ignore the collar groups and abdomen and just cover the clothing in a chest group.  The top still seems to fit Jessi when I pose her.

Is that still bad practice though?

DarkEdge ( ) posted Sat, 09 March 2013 at 6:53 PM

Typical protocal is leaving one bone above and one bone below the uppermost and bottom most Group or BodyPart.

Hope this helps. 😄

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 10 March 2013 at 4:14 AM

file_492467.jpg

I added some button do-dads and a pocket flap.  Now I'll group it and see how Poser conforms things.

DarkEdge ( ) posted Sun, 10 March 2013 at 7:22 AM

Nice top. I see you modeled in the pocket, it might be easier next time to just create a new object and lay it over the top...but learning how to cut something in like you did is always worthwhile. 😄

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 10 March 2013 at 8:36 AM · edited Sun, 10 March 2013 at 8:39 AM

I thought the pocket flap might stick out funny if the outfit curved a bit.  The button is a separate piece just welded on.  That pocket area just happened to be located over the hip.  The outift is modeled for the Manhattan morph for V3.

I'll post a video on my YouTube channel showing how well it conforms.  I also made a conforming skirt for it, with welded buttock groups so there's no tearing.  My first video was a test to see how close I could get the mesh to the body before poke-throughs happened.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 10 March 2013 at 10:46 AM · edited Sun, 10 March 2013 at 10:48 AM

Poser didn't like the triangles I introduced in the mesh around the pocket area.  And Vue liked them even worse.  So I will just slap the pocket flap on as a separate quad mesh like I did the buttons.  No triangles.

DarkEdge ( ) posted Sun, 10 March 2013 at 12:49 PM

Yeah, Poser and tri's don't get along. You "can" have tri's...they just can't be long and skinny. 😉

JoePublic ( ) posted Sun, 10 March 2013 at 1:52 PM

If you separate the pocket flap it will be very hard to use the top as dynamic cloth.

Try fixing the shading issues by creating a hard edge around the pocket flap.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 10 March 2013 at 7:56 PM

Quote - If you separate the pocket flap it will be very hard to use the top as dynamic cloth. Try fixing the shading issues by creating a hard edge around the pocket flap.

This is just for conforming.  No dynamic.  I was thinking about creasing edges on the pocket flap, but thought it wouldn't work for some reason.  It should work.  I'll crease it in Carrara (my go-to creaser).

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 10 March 2013 at 10:10 PM · edited Sun, 10 March 2013 at 10:10 PM

My Carrara idea didn't work since Poser 6 ignores edge creasing in OBJs from other programs.  Poser  over-rides with either its own crease settings for no creasing at all kind of thing.  Even with Poser's "smoothing", the stretched quads are still showing a bit in the renders.

So plan B now is to re-model just the hip (remove the pocket flap from it) and make the flap a separate mesh and weld it onto the hip.  I'll add geometry to the flap so that it renders cleanly.

I accidently imported my oufit into Carrara 5.1 one of the times without turning off auto-size (it's always on by default).  So I had to use Hexagon  1.21 to shrink the mesh about 1000x smaller (using an ungrouped OBJ copy that I had still) as a measuring guide.

Making a video (somewhat) while I do this, to show what not to do when modeling conforming clothing for Poser for rendering in Vue.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Mon, 11 March 2013 at 7:42 AM

this is interesting topic.  thank you for sharing the do-s and don't-s  :)

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Mon, 11 March 2013 at 8:06 AM

Quote - this is interesting topic.  thank you for sharing the do-s and don't-s  :)

No problem.  I'll by posting a video on YouTube in a couple of days (3 hours long I think it is, still editing/DivXing it) showing how I went from the image above (with the pocket flap as part of the hip mesh) to its current state (with the pocket flap as a separate mesh, but still belonging to the hip).  Doing it all pretty much using Hexagon for editing the materials and mesh groups without using AuotoGroup Editor.  And using Poser itself to fuse the mesh seams back together (logically, not physically) so that UV mapping and painting can be done in 3D-Coat as one mesh.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Wed, 13 March 2013 at 6:34 PM
ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sat, 16 March 2013 at 11:14 AM
MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Sat, 16 March 2013 at 11:59 AM

interesting walk cycle :)

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sat, 16 March 2013 at 12:53 PM

I was hoping to get her to just walk normal.  I have too many sexy walks which won't do for just everyday walking.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.