Sun, Oct 6, 5:50 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:32 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Carrara Monthly Challange Number Three: " Paradise Lost and Found"

headwax. ( ) posted Thu, 08 August 2013 at 1:30 AM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 1:54 AM

Just to let you know that we are having Carrara Monthly Challenge Number Three over at Daz and that you are very welcome to come and have some fun.

Challenge theme:

PARADISE LOST AND FOUND

In addition to Age of Armour’s wonderful sponsorship (to be updated with details)

PRIZES:include from Daz

Ist Place: a $50 coupon 2nd Place will win a $30 coupon 3rd Place wins a $15 coupon In addition the Honorable Mention will receive a $5 coupon code.

More info here at the WIP thread http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/26828/

all welcome,  smile

DEADLINE: 11:59 PM UTAH Time on September 7th 2013 Please see rules for details.

The challenge host this month is the wonderful Antara(n) !

manleystanley ( ) posted Mon, 12 August 2013 at 4:51 PM

Well I'm out of it head wax. You can guess why, ban hammer.

Antaran ( ) posted Mon, 12 August 2013 at 5:19 PM

Wait, what? What happened?

headwax. ( ) posted Mon, 12 August 2013 at 5:38 PM

Hi ManStan, sounds like you are being victimised again?

I'm really sorry that has happened.

It would be a real shame if your entry misses out. It's coming along wonderfully!

How about you post youw WIPs here and when the time comes I will post your entry for you?

Worth a try?

Care to say why you were hammered?

man hugs from oz !

Antaran ( ) posted Mon, 12 August 2013 at 6:12 PM

Please explain to me what is going on. Who is giving out these bans, why and for what?

And whom do we need to talk to in order to get this fixed?

This whole situation is getting ridiculous.

But I second Andrew's solution. You have already posted WIP's in that thread, so that requirement is fullfilled. And I see nothing wrong with you submitting your entry by proxy now.

Hopefully, though, we can get this fixed before the challenge is over.

manleystanley ( ) posted Mon, 12 August 2013 at 7:10 PM

None the less, I'll see what I can do about the entries.

edited to keep thread on topic.

Antaran ( ) posted Mon, 12 August 2013 at 7:23 PM

ManStan, if it's not too much trouble, please send me a site mail about this issue, so hopefully, I could do something about it. Thank you.

manleystanley ( ) posted Mon, 12 August 2013 at 9:47 PM · edited Mon, 12 August 2013 at 9:50 PM

Not to through this off topic, but I am complete unsure what you could do about it. Banned from DAZ is banned from DAZ. I can't email or PM on DAZ. The forum is dead to me; take that ether way lol

As far as the contest, I don't stand a chance. More then likly I'll never finish. I never seem to be able to finish a scene. Oh I'll have fun working on it, but like most scenes I'll lose interest before the final render. I do this because I love staging, not to show off my artistic skills; like I have any :D

headwax. ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2013 at 1:26 AM

ManStan, well your work was going great guns. The concept was impeccable - the idea that the pirate had discovered his paradise and died while achieving it. It summed up the challenge theme beautifully. You do have talent there, so don't deny it.

I think it's admirable how you can plug away at an image. Me? I always want it finished before I start. ;)

headwax. ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2013 at 1:27 AM

Ah I forgot to mention that the wonderful Prizes Age of Armour is generously donating have been announced!

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/26828/ in the first post.

Everybody welcome, even banned people we will sneak in if we can ;)

manleystanley ( ) posted Fri, 16 August 2013 at 2:01 PM

Man, sorry, I need to back track and rebuild 3 characters, G1 gave me a big fail :( And witht his old comp that is a days work in it's self lol

manleystanley ( ) posted Wed, 21 August 2013 at 8:53 AM

Sorry headwax. Don't think I'm going to make this one. This comp is just slow as molases, locks up often, and to the point I have to reboot. Just going from the assembly room to the shader room has locked it up for 20 minutes or better.

manleystanley ( ) posted Tue, 03 September 2013 at 8:24 AM · edited Tue, 03 September 2013 at 8:26 AM

file_497867.jpg

This is a ruff draft of the scene I was working on, I doubt it's qualified now.

The island, even though it's a carrara terrain; and the issues that come with that, used a hieght map made in Genetica. There is 3 mike 4's, all in the M4 pirate outfits; all textures done in genetica. The plam trees, bushes, and ground cover are Lisa's. The beach sand is from genetica, and that is the HMS Victory inthe back ground. So, hardly qualified for this contest.

None the less the picture was clear in my mind so I had to finish it. The final render will take many hours, and I still have various tweeks to do; like I don't like the fit of the pirate coat at all. Wish I could drape it.

The title is "boatswain Harden, not so lost at sea" refering to the skeleton.

Antaran ( ) posted Tue, 03 September 2013 at 1:51 PM

The WIP looks great!

If your tweaks will include morphing or modifying the content, and if your plants are surface-replicated, you might still qualify for the 3-item requirement. Also, weren't you draping something over the skeleton? The drping definitely qualifies as a modified item in Carrara.

If you finish it on time, I will post this image for you in the WIP thread and I will enter your final image into the challenge.

If you are open to suggestions, I'd recommend unconforming the boots and posing them a bit off the figure, because the skeleton would not hold them so straight up as flesh would, so it's an easy way to suggest the decomposed skeleton without draping things. And you could also pose the conforming figures instead of actually conforming them and then dial up some scaling and morphs to shuggest it being squished in some places and sting hanging on to bones in others. You can also morph those a bit (and qualify for the 3-tem rule!) :).

I look forward to seeing this finished!

manleystanley ( ) posted Tue, 03 September 2013 at 2:10 PM

I don't have C8.5 now, so no draping. And yes there is 4 surface replicators.

I did some modeling in the assembly room trying to get the pants and shirt to get them flat, but I see they need more work. I can easily reposition the boots.

But at this point in time I am so hacked off at DAZ that I am ready to quit all this.

Antaran ( ) posted Tue, 03 September 2013 at 3:09 PM

I understand that you are frustrated. But I do hope you don't quit on the image. I thought Carrara 8.1 had draping. I haven't used it though. And it definitely has assembly room modelling with soft selection tools - you can fake-drape it over the bones :). Unlike actual bodies this doesn't need to be precise and it even doesn't need to follow the pose very closely, so it's a good situation for fake-draping.

I am still using Carrara 8.1, because it fits all of my needs. And the image is about your art, not DAZ. The challenge is also not about DAZ, it's about Carrara, which even at version 8.1 is a very cool piece of software :).

headwax. ( ) posted Tue, 03 September 2013 at 8:47 PM

Quote - This is a ruff draft of the scene I was working on, I doubt it's qualified now.

The island, even though it's a carrara terrain; and the issues that come with that, used a hieght map made in Genetica. There is 3 mike 4's, all in the M4 pirate outfits; all textures done in genetica. The plam trees, bushes, and ground cover are Lisa's. The beach sand is from genetica, and that is the HMS Victory inthe back ground. So, hardly qualified for this contest.

None the less the picture was clear in my mind so I had to finish it. The final render will take many hours, and I still have various tweeks to do; like I don't like the fit of the pirate coat at all. Wish I could drape it.

The title is "boatswain Harden, not so lost at sea" refering to the skeleton.

hello ManStan, well let me echo Antara's sentiments. It's a wonderful image! You've done a great job on the whole composition, the poses and the textures. Really like the textures on the sand. The guy on the right's clothes look pretty clean :) Just like me!

I think that you really should submit this work. !

headwax. ( ) posted Tue, 03 September 2013 at 8:55 PM

oh it's not about daz, it's about the Carrara community and getting to use Carrara better.

Daz is only the retailer, like the guy who sells you your canvas and oil paints. Your images have nothing to do with Daz nor the way they have treated you.

manleystanley ( ) posted Wed, 04 September 2013 at 12:59 AM

Well I have made some extensive morphs to the skeltons cloths. Reminded me how easy it is to work with the mil 4 content. Also reminded me about the soft select issue; slider does weird stuff, like going to 0 when it is of a mind to.

And as far as DAZ

"To the last, I will grapple with thee... from Hell's heart, I stab at thee! For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee!" Khan.

headwax. ( ) posted Wed, 04 September 2013 at 1:56 AM

ah yes you have to watch that slider - painin the bottom,

"You shalt not bite of your face to spite your nose, otherwise your nose will have no face to rest itself upon"

Finnie :)

manleystanley ( ) posted Wed, 04 September 2013 at 9:51 AM

I did a fairly hirez render of this. The lighting is odd, I'd like to add a realistic sky but a couple of people have said they like that haze. I'm haveing issues getting the beach/figures in the right place, seems what I see of the beach in the assembly room isn't where it is at in the render room; it renders much higher so getting the feet on it has been a PITA. But I need to redo that beard, it's the one wrong thing that really draws my eye. It's going to take some morph work to get it right, so that would be 4 items in seen considerably altered in carrara.

manleystanley ( ) posted Thu, 05 September 2013 at 3:00 PM

Na, I need a real sky in that. Working on final render settings now. Might have it done in time. As it stands I would be quite happy with third because I want this http://www.daz3d.com/studio-paris 

Mostly because I have no need of the coupons. I quit shoping at DAZ. And Why I wish Stefan sold his scenes right from his site.

Antaran ( ) posted Thu, 05 September 2013 at 6:41 PM

I look forward to it. :) Good luck!

headwax. ( ) posted Thu, 05 September 2013 at 8:46 PM

Quote - Na, I need a real sky in that. Working on final render settings now. Might have it done in time. As it stands I would be quite happy with third because I want this http://www.daz3d.com/studio-paris 

Mostly because I have no need of the coupons. I quit shoping at DAZ. And Why I wish Stefan sold his scenes right from his site.

StanMan, I really hope you finieh this. It's a really positive work that tells a story and illustrates the concept of Paradise Lost and Found in an original and allegorical manner. In a way it represents so much  of Human activity - in that what we want and desire so much so that we are willing to suffer for it, is seldom worth the so called reward in the end.

StudioParis is a superb piece of work. I was honoured to help test drive it and let me tell you  that it rocks, man :) ! So get that image finished (please) :)

manleystanley ( ) posted Fri, 06 September 2013 at 10:15 AM

I'm rushing to get the finishing touches on this, added a flock of gulls around the ship last night, working on some boxes and barrels for a bit flotsome on the beach. What ever shape it is in tommorow is how it is.

Antaran ( ) posted Fri, 06 September 2013 at 12:21 PM

Thank you, Stanley!

Headwax, I might not have access to a computer before deadline after I lean in 30 min. May I ask you to transfer Stanley's entry from this thread to the Entry thread in the challenge? There are earlier WIP's there in the WIP thread, so the WIP link requirement can be easily satisfied.

manleystanley ( ) posted Fri, 06 September 2013 at 2:32 PM

file_497972.jpg

Last wip before the long hidef render.

headwax. ( ) posted Fri, 06 September 2013 at 3:30 PM

Quote - Thank you, Stanley!

Headwax, I might not have access to a computer before deadline after I lean in 30 min. May I ask you to transfer Stanley's entry from this thread to the Entry thread in the challenge? There are earlier WIP's there in the WIP thread, so the WIP link requirement can be easily satisfied.

Hi, if necessary I will make a space and insert thedetails when able as I am er under surveillance at home :) :)

Manstan that's a marvellous work!

headwax. ( ) posted Sat, 07 September 2013 at 3:34 AM

Hmm it looks like I am going to be offline bteween now and the dead line.

How is the render going Stan?

Antaran ( ) posted Sat, 07 September 2013 at 6:44 AM

I found a spot with wi-fi where I can use my phone. It's beastly uncomfortable, but I will try to repost. Great work, Stanley!

manleystanley ( ) posted Sat, 07 September 2013 at 8:14 AM

file_498016.jpg

The title is "boatswain Harden, not so lost at sea"

The island, drift wood, coconut and barrels were made in carrara, textures done with Genetica

All plants, Palm trees, palm bushes, cinnamon fern and grass are Lisa's botaniaclas.

That's 3 M4's wearing various parts of M4 pirate by Ravenhair.

On the castaway is the M4 beard by Ravenhair morphed in the assembly room to fit the expression.

The skeleton is the old P4 skeleton the clothes; boots, pants, shirt, have been modified/morphed in the assembly room.

The boat is the pirate essentials.

The treasure chests are Valandar's set.

That is Dreamscape creation's HMS victory in the back ground.

The sea gulls are a low poly model I have had for quite some time, they are a static .obj with no way to credit.

Excluding the plants and 2 of the M4 skins most all the textures in scene were made in Genetica.

Antaran ( ) posted Sat, 07 September 2013 at 7:54 PM

I added the entry with some text adjustments to fit the format of the entry posts.

Please read it and let me know whether I need to change anything. Also my phone does not seem to be saving the full resolution image for me to upload back into the entry thread. I have reserved the spot with the preview and will try again when I get back to civilization. The image size I got was around 285kb. 

manleystanley ( ) posted Sat, 07 September 2013 at 10:08 PM

Thanks. I'm already hard at another scene lol I love working in carrara when things flow along smoothly.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.