Tue, Sep 24, 6:16 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 12:07 am)

Subject: Depth Mapped Shadows - How to get them better looking

piccolo_909 ( ) posted Sun, 10 November 2013 at 3:43 PM · edited Sun, 15 September 2024 at 2:36 PM

So i'm about to do something i have't done in a long time, and that's use depth map shadows. I generally use ray-traced shadows because they're better. However, i'm planning on doing a little mini-comic with the Horde werewolf, with about 10 panels, and because of his hair, it would take forever using ray-tracing, so i'm switching to depth mapped shadows for it.

Is there a way to get the shadows crisper and nicer looking? I already turned the shadow blur radius down to 1. Is there anything else i can change to get better looking edges? Would increasing the shadow map size help?

JimTS ( ) posted Sun, 10 November 2013 at 4:25 PM

All that stuff can nullify the speed gain, so I would say sort of radius .05 , a 1024 map

A word is not the same with one writer as with another. One tears it from his guts. The other pulls it out of his overcoat pocket
Charles Péguy

Heat and animosity, contest and conflict, may sharpen the wits, although they rarely do;they never strengthen the understanding, clear the perspicacity, guide the judgment, or improve the heart
Walter Savage Landor

So is that TTFN or TANSTAAFL?

Latexluv ( ) posted Sun, 10 November 2013 at 4:28 PM

If you are using P9 and up, you can increase depth map shadow map size up to a maximum of 2000. Under P9 and up, you can decrease render time with transmapped hair in ray-trace by unchecking the Light Emitting box on your properties tab for each hair prop or figure. This works for me most of the time. But with ten figures at one time in a scene, I can see why you would consider using Depth Mapped shadows again.

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

wimvdb ( ) posted Sun, 10 November 2013 at 5:39 PM

Use the shadowcam of the light casting shadow and zoom in so it covers all elements which are in view in the camera. That makes more efficient use of the shadowmap and gives crisper shadows

piccolo_909 ( ) posted Sun, 10 November 2013 at 5:52 PM

JimTS: Yeah, i tried a blur radius of 1 (it doesn't let me go below that for some reason), and a 2048 map, and the render time was about 5 mins. With raytracing, the render time is 1 hour! It looks like a higher shadow map does give better and crispier shadow outlines.

Latexluv: I tried this before on the horde werewolf figure, but for some reason turning off the light emitter on all the hair wasn't working. I'm not sure why it didn't, since it seems to work on other figures hair. It comes with Horde "Body hair A" and Horde "Mane hair A", and the body hair has like 30 material zones. Do i need to turn off light emitter for all 30 material zones for it to work?

winvdb: Thanks! I'll try that out.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Mon, 11 November 2013 at 2:16 PM

Quote - Latexluv: I tried this before on the horde werewolf figure, but for some reason turning off the light emitter on all the hair wasn't working. I'm not sure why it didn't, since it seems to work on other figures hair. It comes with Horde "Body hair A" and Horde "Mane hair A", and the body hair has like 30 material zones. Do i need to turn off light emitter for all 30 material zones for it to work?

That sounds like there was dynamic hair griups on the werewolf? And yes, you would have to disable the light emiter on all the hair groups. (did something like that recently with Tiny's long haired cat... it was a pain L)

The good thing is, I think Snarlygribbly updated his Scenefixer to be able to turn light emitters off everything at once (or he should ;))

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.