Thu, Oct 3, 12:15 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:12 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: 3dsmax forum challenge (modeling)

LuxXeon ( ) posted Sat, 07 December 2013 at 10:58 AM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 10:21 AM

Attached Link: 7 models, 7 days 3dsmax Forum Challenge Thread

I know the 3dsmax forum here on this website has been considered very slow over the years, and there may be a good number of people who don't bother looking in there anymore.  If you are a 3dsMax user, there are a few of us active over there, and we have a little modeling challenge underway.  It's called "7days, 7models".  Click the link to jump to the challenge thread, and read about it.

Thanks.

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations
Instagram: @luxxeon3d
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/luxxeon

SinnerSaint ( ) posted Sat, 07 December 2013 at 12:28 PM · edited Sat, 07 December 2013 at 12:29 PM

Too bad it's only for Max users.  I'd dust off my copy of Max 8, but it's on my old workstation.

The cell phone should be easy.  I've done them in a half hour in C4D.  The new smart phones out there hardly have any buttons, so the only thing is to get some of the insets and plug jacks done right.  Normally, I'd save most of the detailing for the texture artist, but you have to model the jacks, or it just doesn't look good.

Everything else on the list looks simple enough to do in about an hour a day.  A screwdriver and screw?  Really?  That's tutorial basics 101, no?

EricofSD ( ) posted Tue, 10 December 2013 at 12:39 AM

Sounds like a great idea, but 7 models in 7 days is a bit too much for me as a noob.  I'd be interested in a challenge of a single model over a couple weeks.  :)

SinnerSaint ( ) posted Tue, 10 December 2013 at 1:26 AM

Quote - Sounds like a great idea, but 7 models in 7 days is a bit too much for me as a noob.  I'd be interested in a challenge of a single model over a couple weeks.  :)

I've been watching that thread progress.  While some of the models in that list should be no problem to get done in a day's time, I'm impressed that they seem to be going for detail as well.  I can't view the max files, but Luxeon's last two models seemed impeccable, judging from the wireframe and clay shots.  He's also the only one so far that's finished every model.  The other two guys each have one incomplete day at this point.  Very interesting thread.

LuxXeon ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2013 at 8:34 AM

Thanks.  The models, so far, have turned out to be surprisingly challenging, once you started working on them.  Especially if they were somthing you never modeled before.  I was lucky to have the time each day to put in the effort on each model.  However, today is Day 05, and it's going to be the most challenging model thus far.  A milk crate, in the style of these.  Can't use any texture map assistance, nor displacement.  I don't care what package you use, a model like that will require some foresight of thought, and sufficient time.  I'm optimistic, but also leery about finishing this one today.

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations

SinnerSaint ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2013 at 9:22 PM

Quote - Thanks.  The models, so far, have turned out to be surprisingly challenging, once you started working on them.  Especially if they were somthing you never modeled before.  I was lucky to have the time each day to put in the effort on each model.  However, today is Day 05, and it's going to be the most challenging model thus far.  A milk crate, in the style of these.  Can't use any texture map assistance, nor displacement.  I don't care what package you use, a model like that will require some foresight of thought, and sufficient time.  I'm optimistic, but also leery about finishing this one today.

Not that hard, with the right tools.  I agree that model might take some planning, but there's going to be four sides that are exactlly the same, so you only really have to model one side, and the bottom.  Not as hard as it looks.

LuxXeon ( ) posted Thu, 12 December 2013 at 8:43 AM

file_500127.jpg

Well, it turned out easier than I thought.  Maybe an hour to model, but that's because I made several mistakes before solving the issue.

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations

MikeJohnsons89 ( ) posted Wed, 15 January 2014 at 1:02 PM

i've been importing models from Sketchup for over a year with only an occasional problem. A few hours ago, I imported another piece of furniture just fine, but every item since has turned to a deep pink color when I get it into SH3d. Could this be a problem on the import side or on the export side? Scratching my head . .

3D Model

SinnerSaint ( ) posted Sat, 18 January 2014 at 8:43 PM · edited Sat, 18 January 2014 at 8:44 PM

Quote - i've been importing models from Sketchup for over a year with only an occasional problem. A few hours ago, I imported another piece of furniture just fine, but every item since has turned to a deep pink color when I get it into SH3d. Could this be a problem on the import side or on the export side? Scratching my head . .
3D Model

I'm scratching my head too.  Wondering why you'd post to this thread.

snopcyzee ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2024 at 6:24 AM

Everything else on the list looks simple enough to do in about an hour a day.  A screwdriver and screw?  Really? 

Warlock279 ( ) posted Wed, 07 February 2024 at 2:28 PM

snopcyzee posted at 6:24 AM Mon, 5 February 2024 - #4481262

Everything else on the list looks simple enough to do in about an hour a day.  A screwdriver and screw?  Really? 

Put your polygons where you mouth is then.

You pick the item, we'll get a WIP thread going, and we'll both model it. Proper poly modeling tho, box modeled, lofted, extrusion, whatever, but none of that zbrush/etc tom foolery. If you're gonna throw shade at a decade old thread, we're kicking it old school.

Yes ... I know I just challenged what is most likely a bot to a model-off ... but whatever.

Core i7 950@3.02GHz | 12GB Corsair Dominator Ram@1600mHz | 2GB Geforce GTX 660

Lightwave | Blender | Marmoset | GIMP | Krita

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.