Thu, Sep 19, 8:56 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 3:46 am)

Subject: home design studio from smith micro - is it useful for poser?

estherau ( ) posted Sat, 22 February 2014 at 5:46 PM · edited Fri, 09 August 2024 at 7:48 PM

file_502093.png

I just got an advertising email from SM about this.  Has anyone got it?  Is it good for poser?

Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

hborre ( ) posted Sat, 22 February 2014 at 6:30 PM

Based on the older version of Punch! Home Design, no.  Strictly for layout and designing.  I see nothing practical that can be integrated into Poser.

estherau ( ) posted Sat, 22 February 2014 at 7:20 PM

Pity!

infinity10 ( ) posted Sat, 22 February 2014 at 10:10 PM

Freebie equivalent here.  Exports OBJ.  http://www.sweethome3d.com/ 

(Sorry, not intending to usurp a commercial product; just expanding the discussion for OP.)

Eternal Hobbyist

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 23 February 2014 at 7:58 AM

infinity10 - that does look pretty nice.  do you think people make any commercial products with it.  it looks like it could be used for that.

infinity10 ( ) posted Sun, 23 February 2014 at 8:38 AM

No idea.  But note that the content (furnishings, etc) are released for use with sweetHome3D by various 3rd-parties, under Creative Commons licencing. 

Eternal Hobbyist

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 23 February 2014 at 8:45 AM

oh - which probably means not for comercial renders etc.

infinity10 ( ) posted Sun, 23 February 2014 at 8:49 AM · edited Sun, 23 February 2014 at 8:50 AM

"Sweet Home 3D supports 3D model files such as OBJ, DAE, 3DS, LWS format or a ZIP file containing a file of this type."

http://www.sweethome3d.com/userGuide.jsp#importing3DModels

If you made your own furniture to use in the software.

Eternal Hobbyist

Cage ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2014 at 6:00 PM · edited Tue, 25 February 2014 at 6:09 PM

file_502196.txt

I'm testing Sweet Home 3D here, based on this thread, and it looks like the exported .obj quality isn't very good.  One of these exported models might help you as a reference model, or a starting point from which you can take the surfaces and completely rebuild the polygon structure, or something.  :unsure:  I'm seeing a lot of bad triangle geometries, overlapping surfaces, low resolution geometries, and wonky smoothing when imported to Poser.  The model quality reminds me of the freebie 3DS models we used to see, back in the late 90s/early 2000s.  Potentially useful software, but unlikely to give you anything that you'll want to use in Poser without significant modification.

That said, I am finding it useful, on my end, for things other than Poser.

Attaching the initial test export I generated, since the file is small and it can show all the issues I mention.

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

Cage ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2014 at 9:29 PM · edited Tue, 25 February 2014 at 9:41 PM

Okay, I think exports from Sweet Home can be made useable pretty easily.  Import the obj into Wings 3D, then select all sharp edges and set them to hard.  Export it again.  This fixes two problems.  First, the exports seem to contain stray vertices (without polygon associations), and running a geometry through Wings automatically removes these.  Second, setting those edges as hard fixes the smoothing issues in Poser.

You won't get UV mapping on any wall surfaces unless you apply a texture within Sweet Home.  Even then, the mapping applied looks like it may not be useful without modification.

The geometry will be constructed of a lot of unconnected planes or boxes, some of which may have visibly overlapped surfaces when rendered in Poser.  The overlapping seems to happen pretty easily, but it also seems to be due to user error when creating the walls in Sweet Home.  Based on sample images on their home page, it looks like at least some software can do really nice things with the files exported from Sweet Home, but it looks like that may take a bit of work, with Poser.

This program could be useful as a quick way to generate simple or basic room interiors, or to help create a starting point for a better project built using more sophisticated 3D software.  It's not bad for freeware.

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.