Sun, Oct 6, 9:20 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:32 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Figure models, as in which?

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Tue, 22 April 2014 at 11:42 PM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 5:13 AM

What is the go-to figure model now for current Carrara users?

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

ProPose001 ( ) posted Wed, 23 April 2014 at 12:43 AM

Go-to Figure model?  For me personally, if I use a figure I go for the custom variety, Make Human mostly via fbx.  I still like Antonia if I'm feeling lazy and I need something quick. M4 is still my 'go-to' male figure.  Generation 1 and 2 lo-res  figures get used quite a bit for animation tests.  Most of my time is spent in the vertex modeller though

headwax. ( ) posted Wed, 23 April 2014 at 1:47 AM

hi Shawn, long time no hear :)

I still use k4 m4 v4 , I have Carrara 8.5 which can use Genesis apparently but lots of things that weren't broken got fixed (ie I can't find nuffin) so I stick with Car 8.1.

Nice chap on daz forum named dartanbeck seems to know all about what works and doesnt

man stan (here) will give also tell you the truth :)

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Wed, 23 April 2014 at 2:37 AM

Quote - hi Shawn, long time no hear

Hey, Andrew. I been mostly just in the Vue forum here the last couple years. That's what I render Vicky and Michael 3 stuff in.

headwax. ( ) posted Wed, 23 April 2014 at 4:47 AM

Well your work has always been grande :) Bummer to lose you but Vue looks like a wonderful program in your hands!

manleystanley ( ) posted Wed, 23 April 2014 at 7:26 AM

I've been using the hell out of Genesis since I got C8.5. But with out C8.5 it is the mil4 figures. If I have issues with genesis in a scene I drop back ti the mil 4 figures.

I'm using genesis because of it morphability, and looks in posing. I also; like many others, jumped on the genesis band wagon and spent a fair chunkOchange getting the figure set up. My bad, I assumed DAZ would do updates to the figure like they had with V4, but instead jumped to the next figure shortly after the release of Genesis. After throwing that money at genesis I couldn't afford to back G2F; I wasn't the only one griping about it.

If you have the $$$ and C8.5 skip genesis go right to G2F/M. Genesis is like that failed experament with a lab animal you just don't have the heart to put down lol

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Wed, 23 April 2014 at 7:34 AM

What about on the Poser side? Does current Poser still do PZ3 that imports into Carrara? Or is that a dream these days?

manleystanley ( ) posted Wed, 23 April 2014 at 7:48 AM · edited Wed, 23 April 2014 at 7:49 AM

Does anyone that uses carrara still use Poser? You might have to ask on the DAZ forum or carraracafe.

I don't have any issues with the poser pz3's I have{none are new}, just got to drag and drop them in to an open scene. I've added a scene folder to the props folder in my figures and props folders, that has pz3 scenes in them, just drag, drop, and delete half a ton of lights and cameras. lol

Like V4/runtime/figures/props/scenes. That would be Poser 5/6/7 pz3s.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Wed, 23 April 2014 at 8:01 AM

Quote - Does anyone that uses carrara still use Poser?

I use both. But they are from 9 years ago. So they work great together. Back when Eovia and Curious Labs were tech partners.

manleystanley ( ) posted Wed, 23 April 2014 at 8:40 AM

Ya that's when I started, I got carrara 5 and Poser 5 at about the same time; pretty sure I got a big discount cuopon for P5 with C5.

From what I read you can use the new Poser figures in carrara, but you have to run them through Studio for conversion first. You might check with Holly; DAZ forum, carraracafe.

booksbydavid ( ) posted Wed, 23 April 2014 at 11:47 AM

I still use Poser. I'm in Poser Pro 2014 now, and I'm using Carrara 8.1 Pro. Recently, I've been creating original figures in Silo, rigging in Poser and saving to the library, then bringing the figure into Carrara for dynamic hair and whatever else I need.

Carrara is just plain faster for me for setting up scenes and rendering. And the shader system in Carrara is much easier to navigate than Poser's. They both now have the use of luxrender and with postwork you can't tell which software was used anyway.

As far as .pz3 files opening in Carrara, I think they still do. I haven't actually opened one in Carrara in ages. I remember not liking how the lights came in, but I usually rework them anyway. I usually just work with individual figures saved to the Poser library.

If it's really important, I'd be glad to take one of my Poser scenes from PP 2014 and bring it into Carrara and let you know. Carrara is churning out a set of renders for me right now with tons of dynamic hair that will take at least the rest of the day.

headwax. ( ) posted Thu, 24 April 2014 at 4:57 PM

Patience is a virtue ! What are the advantages of dynamic hair.? 

tsarist ( ) posted Thu, 24 April 2014 at 8:14 PM

Hey Shawn

I'm still using V4, hardcore.

If I keep seeing Stan's work with Genesis, though, I might take the plunge.

I love the way V5 & V6 look, not to mention Olympia and the others.

If I keep seeing positive results (not just lip service, like at the "other place") when I get more money I might make that move.

booksbydavid ( ) posted Thu, 24 April 2014 at 9:17 PM

Quote - Patience is a virtue ! What are the advantages of dynamic hair.? 

In this case it's fur, and lots of it.

As far as advantages, it all depends on the look you're going for. Also, if you want a particular style that's not available otherwise.

Depending on your settings, render times aren't too bad. I've had some modeled hair with lots of transparency that take far longer to render than dynamic hair with decent settings.

I will say that there's nothing better, in my opinion, for fur on an animal (or person if you're so inclined) than dynamic hair.

manleystanley ( ) posted Sat, 26 April 2014 at 7:26 AM

A while back I did a render of a witch laying on and petting her furry gargoylehound, came out quite nice. I tried to do an animation of her walking the gargoyle hound; shuvle over shoulder lol But it proved to be too much for my comp

headwax. ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2014 at 10:14 PM

Quote - > Quote - Patience is a virtue ! What are the advantages of dynamic hair.? 

As far as advantages, it all depends on the look you're going for. Also, if you want a particular style that's not available otherwise.

Depending on your settings, render times aren't too bad. I've had some modeled hair with lots of transparency that take far longer to render than dynamic hair with decent settings.

I will say that there's nothing better, in my opinion, for fur on an animal (or person if you're so inclined) than dynamic hair.

thanks David, belive it or not I discovered a fur brush in corel painter and for sh0rt fur (stills) is just what the vet ordered

sorry missed your reply, internet connection probs here (used my usage!)

booksbydavid ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2014 at 10:24 PM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - Patience is a virtue ! What are the advantages of dynamic hair.? 

thanks David, belive it or not I discovered a fur brush in corel painter and for sh0rt fur (stills) is just what the vet ordered

sorry missed your reply, internet connection probs here (used my usage!)

No worries. I never have been able to get fur brushes to work for me. It takes more patience and skill than I possess at the moment. I suppose practice would help, but I'm a bit on the lazy side as well. :)

headwax. ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2014 at 10:37 PM

laz? laz? I'm so laz I couldn't even type the 'y' in laz!

no, I had to render a cloe up od a dog's leg. Agent wanted mor fur so I added hair in Car. Looked okay just, then I used the fur brush - made a better job with more control - it's like fuzz fur not like gorilla fur :)

booksbydavid ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2014 at 11:33 PM

La? La? I'm so la I couldn't even type the 'zy' in la. Hah! So there!

I must be a dunce. It never occurred to me to use both dynamic fur and a fur brush. See, that's why I keep you around. Always thinking for me. That's how la I am. :)

headwax. ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2014 at 3:58 AM

maybe this will work, original render and furry friend :)

booksbydavid ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2014 at 10:55 AM

Quote - maybe this will work, original render and furry friend :)

OK, I'm missing something. I don't speak Australian very well this early in the day. Or are you typing with your toes again?

manleystanley ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2014 at 2:34 PM · edited Wed, 30 April 2014 at 2:37 PM

file_503912.jpg

Ok, here's a nice one of G2F in carrara; yes set up in studio. This is also a limited scene experament. that is just a dome with a flat bottom with a spherical background texture applid to it; also in the glow channle and using inderect lighting and a spot light for the shadow.

headwax. ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2014 at 3:18 PM

Quote - > Quote - maybe this will work, original render and furry friend :)

OK, I'm missing something. I don't speak Australian very well this early in the day. Or are you typing with your toes again?

sorry images didn't load plus ot :)

will start another Fred ...:)

booksbydavid ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2014 at 4:44 PM

@Manstan - Hey! That's nice. It really has a true sunset feel. Very nice.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.