Mon, Oct 21, 4:49 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 4:13 pm)

Subject: OT "Recycling" CG Characters

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 28 August 2014 at 8:53 AM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 9:18 AM

file_506910.jpg

Hi I have always been a fan of the "AppleSeed" Movies based on the Manga By Masamune Shirow

As well as the Cheesy StarShip troopers films based on the Robert A. Heinlein novel

The last troopers film was full CG animated release back in 2012
and the most recent Apple seed was a direct to Video release this year "Appleseed Alpha"
both films made by the same production Company 'Sola Digital"

Anyway I thought it was kind of funny how they recycled one of the Character rigs from troopers and used him in "Appleseed Alpha" with very little alteration save some "Cyborg" Skin grafts LOL!!.

My website

YouTube Channel

icprncss2 ( ) posted Thu, 28 August 2014 at 12:13 PM

Isn't recycling the latest thing...

Dale B ( ) posted Thu, 28 August 2014 at 12:13 PM

Looks like someone has been studying the Poser marketplace mindset, doesn't it?

Hopefully they don't bollix up the Honor Harrington movie too badly; I could go with some good space opera for a bit.... 

Keith ( ) posted Thu, 28 August 2014 at 2:42 PM · edited Thu, 28 August 2014 at 2:52 PM

Quote - Looks like someone has been studying the Poser marketplace mindset, doesn't it?

Hopefully they don't bollix up the Honor Harrington movie too badly; I could go with some good space opera for a bit.... 

Wait...who's doing a Harrington movie?

edit: Never mind, just found out. Can't believe I missed it.

Dale B ( ) posted Fri, 29 August 2014 at 6:14 AM

Yep! They're starting with book 2, 'Honor of the Queen'. Green Briar has been present on David Weber's website, at the top of the honorverse forums. I leave it to you to explore some of the things being planned.

JimTS ( ) posted Fri, 29 August 2014 at 11:54 AM
Online Now!

Canned resources vs hiring the same guy to play another role

A word is not the same with one writer as with another. One tears it from his guts. The other pulls it out of his overcoat pocket
Charles Péguy

Heat and animosity, contest and conflict, may sharpen the wits, although they rarely do;they never strengthen the understanding, clear the perspicacity, guide the judgment, or improve the heart
Walter Savage Landor

So is that TTFN or TANSTAAFL?

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 29 August 2014 at 7:53 PM

Heck, it saves money, so why not, right? Isn't that any movie studio's bottom line? Now they don't have to pay a team to produce a new character, rig and texture it.

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

wolf359 ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2014 at 9:33 AM

" Yep! They're starting with book 2, 'Honor of the Queen'. Green Briar has been present on David Weber's website, at the top of the honorverse forums. I leave it to you to explore some of the things being planned."

Wow!!! as a self professed "Scfi fi geek"
I am Ashamed to admit that I have never heard of this Honor Harrington until this thread.

Did Some Googling....looks cool
but hey nearly anything involving Space& Sci fi will get a look from me
better check amazon perhaps get some of the books to get aquainted while waiting for the Film.

My website

YouTube Channel

Dale B ( ) posted Sun, 31 August 2014 at 6:45 AM

Start with 'On Basilisk Station' Wolf, which is book 1 of the series. And David Weber is a bit of a military history buff (cough), so you'll find that if you know naval history, the flow of some of the battles seem familiar.

Just be aware: It's already known that things will be changed. In the books, physics are consistent with the propulsion and ftl systems, so basically -all- military ships resemble a spindle with tapered ends (differences being in the shape of the fore and aft hammerheads where the alpha and beta nodes are, the placement of point defense, missle tubes, grasers, etc). The movie makers have already said they are changing that so the average movie goer can tell one star nations vessels from another. Just like they decided to start with book 2, with Honor a captain and dealing with less of the way she got there (ie: the stuff that led to her being senior officer on Basilisk Station. Nuff said, no spoilers).

But Weber is consistent with his world and the way it works. Things evolve over time, not change by authorial fiat. And oh, is the ride worth the ticket, IMHO.  

FVerbaas ( ) posted Sun, 31 August 2014 at 9:40 AM
Forum Coordinator

In real movies all actors are 'recycled' so why should CG actors be different?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.