Sun, Oct 6, 8:44 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Dumb question of the day, default material selection in the Mat Room

grichter ( ) posted Tue, 23 September 2014 at 9:58 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 10:55 AM

When you select V4's body and go into the material room if defualts to the mouth texture on my Mac under all the last several Poser Pro versions including the GD version.

Looked through the CR2 to see if I could figure out why.

Either I am as blind as a Bat (even after i cleaned my glasses) or dumb as a Rock or both. Because nothing I could see pointed to the fact it picked the mouth as the defualt texture that I could find.

Anybody know why that is and how I could make it become the face instead.

Thanks

Forrest "Gary" Gump!

Edited to add I might even consider giving anybody that helps a box of Chocolates :laugh:

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

Medzinatar ( ) posted Tue, 23 September 2014 at 10:57 PM

When I look at CR2, "4_InnerMouth" is first material referenced.

Maybe if you put "1_SkinFace" as first it will pick it instead.

It is unlikely a coincidence that inner mouth is first for no reason

grichter ( ) posted Wed, 24 September 2014 at 3:25 AM

At work now and will look at that in a couple of hours.

Duh, I was looking for something like how you can set the default body part picked on load or turn IK on and off, or like in a prop set the parent, etc. Like a parameter that was labled what the default material selected was. Duh, should have looked at the order of the materials are listed. Like I said I can be as dumb as a rock at times.Totally obvious after your mentioned it that that is probably how it works.

thanks

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 24 September 2014 at 4:39 AM · edited Wed, 24 September 2014 at 4:41 AM

In turn, 4_InnerMouth is first in the CR2 because that material is the first one defined in the V4 geometry file.

Similar questions have been asked before, and the only sure way seems to be to re-order the usemtl blocks in the OBJ file*. Just editing the CR2 seems not to be enough.

I believe human foetuses develop an anus first, then the remainder of the digestive tract (anyone who's had babies can verify this!) - maybe this means that V4's mouth was the first part that DAZ modelled? You'd think they'd start with the boobs, or something important like that. ;)

*Not a job for the casual hacker...

So, you see, not a dumb question at all; rather, a deep and insightful question that probes to the very heart of how Poser interprets 3D data!

grichter ( ) posted Wed, 24 September 2014 at 6:09 AM

Quote - In turn, 4_InnerMouth is first in the CR2 because that material is the first one defined in the V4 geometry file.

Similar questions have been asked before, and the only sure way seems to be to re-order the usemtl blocks in the OBJ file*. Just editing the CR2 seems not to be enough.

EB I can confirm editing the CR2 like I just tried is not enough.

as far as why Daz modeled the mouth first, I assume the rumor that the person who did it claims they don't kiss and tell is true (of course you would think lips would be first then :blink:)

Gary

shvrdavid ( ) posted Wed, 24 September 2014 at 2:12 PM · edited Wed, 24 September 2014 at 2:20 PM

You can add a material order list to an obj file. 

Poser sorts material based on order of appearance in the file, or the list that defines the order.

At the beginning of the obj, add a use mtl list.

usemtl brows

usemtl corneaLeft

usemtl corneaRight

etc...

Example is from Antonia~WM, obviously the names are different for V4

If you have Antonia~WM look at the obj file in a text editor

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

grichter ( ) posted Wed, 24 September 2014 at 4:30 PM

Quote - You can add a material order list to an obj file. 

Poser sorts material based on order of appearance in the file, or the list that defines the order.

At the beginning of the obj, add a use mtl list.

usemtl brows

usemtl corneaLeft

usemtl corneaRight

etc...

Example is from Antonia~WM, obviously the names are different for V4

If you have Antonia~WM look at the obj file in a text editor

Yes have Antonia-1.2WM.obj file and see exactly what you are referencing at the top of the file. Will give it a go and report back after a long render I have running finishes :)

Gary

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.