Sun, Oct 6, 6:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Remove Victoria 4.2 files?

Paul Francis ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2014 at 6:01 AM · edited Thu, 01 August 2024 at 11:56 PM

While trying to save some space on my SSD, with Vista's "programmes and features" programme tool, I noted in the list of installed programmes four entries for V4.2 base, V4.2 morphs etc totalling almost 20Gb of disk space.  Does anyone know if I need these to use V4.2 within Poser or can I safely delete them?  I thought the data was installed into my (many!) Poser runtimes, which are on another disk entirely.  I don't use Daz Studio so if that's what they are there for they can definitely go!  I wonder if they're a relic from when my Poser runtime was on my C drive, years ago?

My self-build system - Vista 64 on a Kingston 240GB SSD, Asus P5Q Pro MB, Quad 6600 CPU, 8 Gb Geil Black Dragon Ram, CoolerMaster HAF932 full tower chassis, EVGA Geforce GTX 750Ti Superclocked 2 Gb, Coolermaster V8 CPU aircooler, Enermax 600W Modular PSU, 240Gb SSD, 2Tb HDD storage, 28" LCD monitor, and more red LEDs than a grown man really needs.....I built it in 2008 and can't afford a new one, yet.....!

My Software - Poser Pro 2012, Photoshop, Bryce 6 and Borderlands......"Catch a  r--i---d-----e-----!"

Paul Francis ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2014 at 6:05 AM

Just tried seeing where the data actually is:

file_f7e6c85504ce6e82442c770f7c8606f0.jp

My self-build system - Vista 64 on a Kingston 240GB SSD, Asus P5Q Pro MB, Quad 6600 CPU, 8 Gb Geil Black Dragon Ram, CoolerMaster HAF932 full tower chassis, EVGA Geforce GTX 750Ti Superclocked 2 Gb, Coolermaster V8 CPU aircooler, Enermax 600W Modular PSU, 240Gb SSD, 2Tb HDD storage, 28" LCD monitor, and more red LEDs than a grown man really needs.....I built it in 2008 and can't afford a new one, yet.....!

My Software - Poser Pro 2012, Photoshop, Bryce 6 and Borderlands......"Catch a  r--i---d-----e-----!"

hornet3d ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2014 at 6:11 AM

If your old C drive goes back a few years they might be there from when V4 needed to be in the main runtime which is not required now,  Does V4 exist is other runtimes?  If V4 does it should be safe to delete.  I think if I was in this position I would delete in stages so that the files went into the recycle bin and then try and load V4 in Poser.  If it does not work you can always restore from the recycle bin.  OR  If you have the space elsewhere you could do a move to a temporary folder and then move back if required.  Ideally the SSD should limited to the OS and programs and any of the temporary folders generated by Windows or your browser and the like moved to a conventional drive. This not only saves space but it also reduces number of writes to the SSD and thus extends it's life.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

hornet3d ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2014 at 6:16 AM

Just tried seeing where the data actually is:

file_f7e6c85504ce6e82442c770f7c8606f0.jp

The lists show shortcuts to uninstall files, something DAX installers could generate if required.  The shortcuts point to a DAZ folder in Programs, so the question is does the DAX folder exist in programs or are the shortcuts just invalid.  If you don't use Daz Studio is do not see the need for a DAZ folder under programs.... unless anyone knows different.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

WandW ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2014 at 6:46 AM · edited Wed, 03 December 2014 at 6:47 AM

Those products are not that large installed.  I just looked at my V4 runtime on my old computer, and it's only 3.3 GB, and there is a lot of other content installed there, too.  I wonder if it is giving the size of the entire runtime folder? 

As far as an SSD goes, it is ideal for a content library, as you write it and leave it there.  I saw 240GB SSDs for under $100 on Black Friday...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2014 at 8:40 AM

If your old C drive goes back a few years they might be there from when V4 needed to be in the main runtime which is not required now,  

Actually that statement is incorrect.  V4 base and all her morph packages should be in the same runtime regardless whether they reside in the main runtime or external.  The main runtime concept arose because Microsoft Vista and Win 7 did not exist at the time to complicate security issues.  Also, it was convenient to instruct new users to place files into an established location rather than detailing how to create external runtimes.

MikeMoss ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2014 at 9:06 AM

Hi

If I have doubts about whether it's safe to delete something I make a folder on my data drive and cut and paste the files there.

If I have problems after I do that, I can just move the folder back to it's original location.

Mike

If you shoot a mime, do you need a silencer?

hornet3d ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2014 at 10:24 AM · edited Wed, 03 December 2014 at 10:25 AM

If your old C drive goes back a few years they might be there from when V4 needed to be in the main runtime which is not required now,  

Actually that statement is incorrect.  V4 base and all her morph packages should be in the same runtime regardless whether they reside in the main runtime or external.  The main runtime concept arose because Microsoft Vista and Win 7 did not exist at the time to complicate security issues.  Also, it was convenient to instruct new users to place files into an established location rather than detailing how to create external runtimes.

Your right of course, at my age you do tend to mis-remeber things.  My apologies if I mislead anyone or caused any inconvenience.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2014 at 10:32 AM

D3D's File Reference program can check the pathways of most files and alert you to missing links.  The app can be found under Tool Collections for Poser @ this link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/tool-collection-for-poser/37406/.  A search feature will find and correct those links.  Very helpful if you have a tendency to move files around on your computer.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2014 at 2:13 PM

In Poser 6, without hand editing of files, the V4 base and morphs did have to go in the application folder. Poser 7 would allow the use of external Runtimes as long as search behaviour was set to shallow, and from Poser 7 SR3 an external location could be used regardless of settings (though as hborre notes all of the morphs sets and the base must be in the same Runtime). As WandW says the Installed Programs window is overstating the size of the installed files anyway.

heddheld ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2014 at 6:10 PM

I've just installed v4.2 on P14 win 7 pro had to install to posers main runtime(refused to go on external) but then I moved the files to my external and loaded the morphs, no problem

hope you get it sorted

RHaseltine ( ) posted Thu, 04 December 2014 at 3:17 PM

The old .exe installers do check for poser.exe if you choose Poser as the target application - it's best to get the most current version, which is in a zip (and can be installed manually or with the DAZ Install Manager) though choosing DAZ Studio as the target application will also get around the check for a Poser.exe (and doesn't make any difference to the files installed).

modus0 ( ) posted Thu, 04 December 2014 at 6:28 PM

The old .exe installers do check for poser.exe if you choose Poser as the target application - it's best to get the most current version, which is in a zip (and can be installed manually or with the DAZ Install Manager) though choosing DAZ Studio as the target application will also get around the check for a Poser.exe (and doesn't make any difference to the files installed).

Which has always been an issue for Poser Pro version users, because the program doesn't create a poser.exe. Another way to get around that is to create a new text document in the runtime, name it poser, and with "show file extensions" checked, change the file extension to .exe.

If you're joking that's just cruel, but if you're being sarcastic, that's even worse.

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 04 December 2014 at 9:23 PM

I have found that the older DAZ installers actually have a cancel button to terminate the Poser.exe search.  This feature allows inputting your designated path manually.

Paul Francis ( ) posted Fri, 05 December 2014 at 2:16 PM

Hi guys thanks so much for all the replies, didn't realise they had all been posted - no notifications from Renderosity for some reason.  Hopefully I'll try and get it sorted this weekend using all your advice!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.