Wed, Sep 18, 2:01 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Writers

Welcome to the Writers Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Wolfenshire

Writers F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:08 am)

Writers Gallery

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ---Anton Chekhov

Subject: Meeting the antagonist....

evilded777 ( ) posted Thu, 11 December 2014 at 9:49 AM · edited Thu, 18 July 2024 at 11:28 PM

Ok, so I'm wading through my outlining/synopsis/warmup phase and getting close to the point where I will layout my scenes.  I've done some good work on my characters, ideas for scenes are bubbling up and the final plot pieces are struggling to click into place.

I've got a story where there are deliberate paralells between one of the protagonists and the antagonist; they are there to keep the other protagonist guessing and off-balance and to develop an interpersonal conflict between the two protagonists (suspicion and distrust between two characters who are romantically linked). The READER will know who the antagonist is before the protagonists, and I'm feeling like I need to get some POV scenes from the antagonist  before the moment when his identity is revealed to the protagonists (and the secondary character the antagonist/stalker has gotten involved with  while working to get close to one of the  protagonists).

So here's the question: do you feel a POV scene from a character who is not identified other than generically as the antagonist is doable or is it just clunky mechanically? I don't want to give a way his identity to the reader, initially, though I will reveal through a scene with a secondary character that  this guy is indeed the antagonist and hiding his true identity.

This is not really a mystery, but there does need to be some suspense and tension built. Have to admit that I don't think I have qood techniques for that; something I really need to work on.

TheBryster ( ) posted Fri, 12 December 2014 at 10:36 AM
Forum Moderator

The short answer is, 'Yes'.

If I read your post correctly it could work very well. A scene describing the actions or observations of an unidentified antagonist in my view could be very interesting, and indeed frustrating - in a good way - for the reader, as we try to work out that character's identity.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Wolfenshire ( ) posted Sun, 14 December 2014 at 10:41 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

I don't see why not. Maybe write a few paragraphs and post it to see how well it works.

Wolfenshire, Moderator/Community Leader

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.