Thu, Oct 3, 12:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: Problems with Poser 2014 and Hair

haegerst ( ) posted Sun, 10 May 2015 at 2:53 PM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 12:15 PM

Well I used Poser 5 a lot and i have loads of hair from that time that looked nice With Victoria 4. Actually my Victoria 4.2 figures still load perfectly into Poser 2014, but the hair usually looks like a grey blob, not even close to hair. Glitch, can't be helped? So what's the recommendation here? Any hair that looks really realistic in Poser 2014? I use Octane render and i want some hair that looks very realistic, what would you recommend?

Vue content creator
www.renderarmy.com

WandW ( ) posted Sun, 10 May 2015 at 6:30 PM

If they looked good in Poser 5, they should be able to be made to look good in PP2014.  Any example renders?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

JurZ ( ) posted Sun, 10 May 2015 at 11:20 PM

Sounds like the textures are not loading. Everything I have used in older versions works in the current. What's the material room look like after you load the hair?

willyb53 ( ) posted Sun, 10 May 2015 at 11:30 PM

Or they are being rendered with GC turned on when they were not designed for it

bill

People that know everything by definition can not learn anything

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 11 May 2015 at 8:08 AM

The latest SR for PP2014 automatically 'correct' maps dependent on GC.  Trying to interpret the issue without further information is pointless.  Older version hair does render well in PP2014 but the Material Room nodes may need tweaking to optimize the settings.  I don't know the requirements needed by Octane to render realistic hair, and chances are that the Mat Zones may need major rework for appropriate exportation.

Morkonan ( ) posted Tue, 12 May 2015 at 2:45 AM

Well I used Poser 5 a lot and i have loads of hair from that time that looked nice With Victoria 4. Actually my Victoria 4.2 figures still load perfectly into Poser 2014, but the hair usually looks like a grey blob, not even close to hair. Glitch, can't be helped? So what's the recommendation here? Any hair that looks really realistic in Poser 2014? I use Octane render and i want some hair that looks very realistic, what would you recommend?

(I don't have 2014, but the below should help you track down the problem.) First, make sure you have the Display settings for the hair figure or prop set appropriately. Go to the Display panel and select Figure, for figure/rigged hair, or Element, for prop hair, and then make sure that "Texture Shaded" is checked. (Some hair props or figures are set to a Cartoon display style, by default, by their creators. This is especially true of some of the older Poser hair figures/props.)

Make sure that any black and white transmaps are set to a gamma setting of 1. Any other black and white texture maps used for things like bump/displacement/specular should also be set to 1. (Click on the Image Map node, click on "Image Source" set to a Gamma of 1. In 2012, once you do this for one material node, other nodes using this texture across material zones will also set to GC of 1, but check to be sure.)

Look at your Texture Strength and Diffuse Values for the textures for this figure/prop. Texture strength should be set to values between .8 and 1. In some cases, values over 1 can be used with certain material setups. Diffuse value should be 1. (Ranges can be adjusted to taste/need, but you need to be sure there isn't anything funky going on.)

Check your Specular/Alt Specular nodes and be sure they're not "blowing out" the Image Map by having values that are too high. Also check the Ambient channel and its values, since Ambient used to be active in a great many older hair models and it's not really needed any more, given there are many other lighting/material choices to choose from these days. Also, check the Gradient Bump, as some older hairs used to use that in combination with Image Maps to give a certain effect.

I don't have Poser 2014, but if all the above is checked and is set to be where it should be, you shouldn't be experiencing any problems caused by basic Poser or Material Settings.

Note: While some hair can look decent in Poser, here and there and with a lot of work, hair is probably Poser's Achilles Heel. Given the advancements made in many other areas within Poser and its Rendering and Material settings, especially new lighting algorithms, one would expect some sort of advances with Hair, since that is, by far, the most difficult thing for any 3D Renderer to reproduce/render well. But... nada. Nothing. Poser's choices for hair and rendering hair are far behind what it should be, resulting in renders that do very well representing rendered organic shapes and materials, but that end up making every hair either look like a porcupine exploded or the figure is wearing a melting helmet... Poser's choices for hair, either strip hair or virtually unusable procedural hair, make most "realistic" renders nearly impossible. Yes, you can get decent hair when rendering in Poser, but it should be much, much, better than it is.

haegerst ( ) posted Tue, 12 May 2015 at 3:26 AM

Thanks everybody for your comments! Very helpful!

I think the problem was the textures in the runtime folder. Something might have gone wrong when i copied them from the old Poser 5.

I now deleted all hair, then used the original installers to install all hair again and now it works fine indeed! Thanks again everybody!

Vue content creator
www.renderarmy.com

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.